• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

Is it or isnt it??

Walking on the skern this evening and spotted this:t:

Pics not too good due to poor light and an unstable perch!

Is it a Grey Phalarope?

Attachments

• DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 91
Hey guys, We've spotted a Kingfisher in torquay harbour a couple of times, usually early morning :) We think its a resident there.

Kingfishers usually move to the coast during the winter from their breeding areas on inland rivers/waterways. So it might well be resident there for the next few months. Always a great sight!

Went to Charleton Marsh but no luck finding the Red backed Shrike, think its gone now. Best spot was a Hobby hawking about!
But went to Averton Gifford on the way back and got some good snaps of the Glossy Ibis which is still there! Here it is!ibis.jpg

Nice morning

Havnt been out in ages or posted on here
Had a hour on the skern this morning just as it was getting light.
Its a magical place at that time it has reignited the passion I think.
100 + oystercAtchers 50 curlew 2 whimbrel 2 barwits 50 brents and for my luck a little stint which I did have yesterday also and a ruff and a raft of 10 pintail Inc two lovely male birds.also a beautiful lone grey plover still comin out of summer plumage. All in all a lovely mornin

Darryl

Last edited:
Went for a walk around Sherpa Marsh this afternoon, the water levels are very high so no muddy margins for Waders. Only interesting Du were 2 Wigeon. However, half a dozen Swallows were a reminder of earlier months, could be the last of the year.

22/10

Dartford Warbler on the coast path near Fanny Bennett's - Westward Ho!

At Skern 6 Golden Plover resting, 2 Shelducks, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Kingfisher, plus Redshank, Curlew, Widgeon, Brent Geese. Lapwings, Crows, Raven, Black Headed Gulls

1 Dartford Warbler on the coast path again near Fanny Bennett's - Westward Ho! today

At Skern Salt Marsh, Northam Burrows during rising tide and sunset with the sun setting over Hartland 8 miles in the distance 50 Golden Plover, 1 Dunlin, 41 Lapwings,1 Kingfisher, plus Redshank, Curlew, Widgeon, Brent Geese. Little Egrets, Crows.

Starting walking back to Ho! over the Burrows at dusk - looked round and watched the moon rising over the hills 12 miles away towards Exmoor in the other direction.

Then seen two Water Rails.

A good day NO! A great day!

I'm wondering if the American Golden Plover on the Exe is at all tidal in its appearances, seems to be best seen in the afternoons?

Anybody got an update on the Great Grey Shrike that was seen last week at Trew Plantation ?

Went out there on Monday morning and looked over the clear fell and general area for over an hour and met Andy L who had been there even longer. We saw no sign of it, and left Alec Gladwin to find it for us but he didn't contact us to say he had..... :-C

I was ringing at Velator today and ringed an adult male Green Woodpecker and 3 more Cetti's Warblers.

Sandymere - pm sent re Water Rail

Today at 9 - 11am approx 5 Grey Plover, 10 Golden Plover, 1 Bar Tailed Godwit, 10 Shelduck, plus Widgeon, Redshank, Brent Geese, Curlew, Little Egret, Oystercatcher at Skern Salt Marsh. A Cormorant on a fence post was enjoyed very much too plus 1 Snipe, 1 Raven & Lapwings on Northam Burrows.

Went out there on Monday morning and looked over the clear fell and general area for over an hour and met Andy L who had been there even longer. We saw no sign of it, and left Alec Gladwin to find it for us but he didn't contact us to say he had..... :-C

I was ringing at Velator today and ringed an adult male Green Woodpecker and 3 more Cetti's Warblers.

I've got a couple of days off and if I can convince the Kids it's a good idea I think i'll look out, bit of a bogey bird for me. I used to be able to tell them there was a chance of a Bear or Lions but they don't wear that anymore.

Today I used my Barska monocular 10 x 25.

Today -

At Isley Marsh 6 Spoonbill including a clearly visible FJ9. One Spoonbill had colour tags on both legs - I think yellow/green & blue/green.

On the Taw estuary by the old power station there were 3 Little Grebe, Teal, Widgeon, 150+ Lapwing, Bar Tailed Godwit, Grey Plover

Very very enjoyable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back