• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

Sat 23.7.11
Berry head - 2 Balearic, 1 Manx Shearwater in about 30 mins. Offshore wind though.
Dawlish Warren - Slav Grebe (looking towards Cockwood), c.6 Whimbrel, dark-billed Common Tern which got me going for a bit!
Cheers.

Enjoyable mid morning walk Cornborough area.

3 Yellowhammer, 2 Wheatear, 2 Stonechat, 2 Whitethroat, 1 Bullfinch plus Wren, Linnet, 1 Raven, 12 Goldfinch, several Chaffinch, and 18 Cormorant all but one were on the rocks.

Great birding to be had between Topsham Lock and Turf Lock Inn this morning. Highlights: Wood Sand, Black-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, and much more. Regards, Eric

What's the word on the Black Kite at Kennerleigh?

Good morning Andrew,

Saw it at 1:45 yesterday and it was reported at again at about 5 PM. Note that the road from Sandford to Kennerleigh is closed, but is clear as far as Ashridge Farm. Park on the hard stand just before the farm buildings, then follow the track on the right for a couple of hundred yards till it opens out. If the farmer's around, he's very friendly and helpful.

All the best

Ken

Good morning Andrew,

Saw it at 1:45 yesterday and it was reported at again at about 5 PM. Note that the road from Sandford to Kennerleigh is closed, but is clear as far as Ashridge Farm. Park on the hard stand just before the farm buildings, then follow the track on the right for a couple of hundred yards till it opens out. If the farmer's around, he's very friendly and helpful.

All the best

Ken

Evening Ken,

Thanks, I hope the weather will be good enough for a go tomorrow.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi all,

I'm on holiday in the area so I spent a couple of hours or so at Ashridge Farm today looking for the Black Kite, but to no avail. Loads of Common Buzzards and Ravens around though, giving very close views, making the trip worthwhile (plus plnty of butterflies, lovely weather and great scenery).

Interestingly, though, was the talk from other biders that there'd been no reliable (my choice of word) sighting of the Black Kite since Saturday. Apparently reports were appearing on pagers while people on site had not seen anything. There have been a couple of reports on Birdguides since Saturday. I'm not suggesting anyone is stringing, just passing on the info that others might want to hear before they set off.

Has anyone on here had seen it since Saturday?

Cheers

Hi all,

I'm on holiday in the area so I spent a couple of hours or so at Ashridge Farm today looking for the Black Kite, but to no avail. Loads of Common Buzzards and Ravens around though, giving very close views, making the trip worthwhile (plus plnty of butterflies, lovely weather and great scenery).

Interestingly, though, was the talk from other biders that there'd been no reliable (my choice of word) sighting of the Black Kite since Saturday. Apparently reports were appearing on pagers while people on site had not seen anything. There have been a couple of reports on Birdguides since Saturday. I'm not suggesting anyone is stringing, just passing on the info that others might want to hear before they set off.

Has anyone on here had seen it since Saturday?

Cheers

I was there for three hours yesterday. Never saw it and everyone who left was disappointed yet it was reported on Birdguides smack right in the middle of the period I was there.

Not a wasted effort as there was plenty to see anyway including lots of mirid bugs in the nettles.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi guys!
Can anyone tell me directions to Pigs nose valley?
I've been to Prawle a few times on the coast path, but lots of sightings down at this pigs nose place! 3 Wrynecks today!
Cheers in advance,

Mark,

Hi guys!
Can anyone tell me directions to Pigs nose valley?
I've been to Prawle a few times on the coast path, but lots of sightings down at this pigs nose place! 3 Wrynecks today!
Cheers in advance,

Mark,

Just before you arrive at Prawle village you pass a pond on your right. Take the next turn right and park on the grass verge on the right side of the road after about 400 yards. The road bends around sharply to the right but on the bend you will the start of the track that leads down to Pig's Nose Valley. Eventually that track will lead right down to the sea. Roger

I don't know about other BF Members but most years I find there is a relatively common bird that I find difficult to see in Devon.

Yes devon.birder I was thinking the same myself until this morning down by the Little Dart River in Chulmleigh I heard a familiar 'chuckle'. They don't seem to be as common around here as they were a few years ago.

Hello,

Hi all,
I've decided to take up a suggestion from Gavin Haig and start a Devon birding patch thread. If you've been out and about in Devon today, or have just heard of something good turning up down here, please post.
Also please look at Gavin's excellent thread Backwater Birding- Seaton, Devon.

Hello, i have lived in north devon scince is was a younge boy (3 years old) i am now 19 and both of my parents are very keen on birds.for the frst time on 16th of september 2011 i belive that i've seen a albatross just of my garden, it was atleast 3 times the size of a herring gul and dark grey all over but not a sigle shade. i have looked it up over the internet and books and i am 99% shure, but due to the unlikelty possiblity did anyone else see it and can confirm it? it was in ilfracombe over the harbour at around 10 o clock. i thought it moght of been a gannet but i have seen many of my garden befor and this was bigger annd more bulky thoughout the body. many thanks ed

Hello, i have lived in north devon scince is was a younge boy (3 years old) i am now 19 and both of my parents are very keen on birds.for the frst time on 16th of september 2011 i belive that i've seen a albatross just of my garden, it was atleast 3 times the size of a herring gul and dark grey all over but not a sigle shade. i have looked it up over the internet and books and i am 99% shure, but due to the unlikelty possiblity did anyone else see it and can confirm it? it was in ilfracombe over the harbour at around 10 o clock. i thought it moght of been a gannet but i have seen many of my garden befor and this was bigger annd more bulky thoughout the body. many thanks ed

A young Gannet is most likely, and your description would pretty much fit. An albatross is not impossible, but neither is winning the lottery! ;)

Hi Guys,
Short notice I know, but I am off to Hoilsworthy on Monday fo a week. Are there any good sites, or should I just heat for the heritage coast?

Thanks

geoff

Geoff
I assume that's Halsworthy in North Devon? If so, at this time of the year I'd be tempted to head towards the Taw/Torridge Estuary. Hopefully one of the locals will provide better information before you leave.

David

Yes certainly the Taw/Torridge Estuary. There's RSPB's Isley Marsh near Barnstaple or the following: Barnstaple to Crow Point taking in Pottington, Wrafton Pond (viewing area here) and Sherpa Marsh. Some of these sites are not reliant on the tides so there is variety. If you are down for a week you could also try Seaton, Exminster and Exmouth. Have a look at the RSPB site for more info. Have a good trip and good birding.

You could also try the small reserve at Bradiford Water (it's at the west end of the pottington industrial estate in Barnstaple) - we saw 2 Green Sandpipers and 2 Whinchats there this afternoon. The Tarka trail on both sides of the estuary is usually good!

Good birding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back