• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (3 Viewers)

Hi

Was thinking about heading down to Devon and was wondering if there are any woodlark around at the moment. If so where is best place to see them? Is exminster still good for them

Mike

Hi Mike.

I'm assuming no-one has PM'd you on this.

Woodlark is hanging on here in a unique habitat. Its breeding areas are not generally disclosed; and I'm afraid that applies to wintering grounds as well, in case they decide to stay and breed. There are better counties in which to see Woodlarks, as I'm sure you know.

Having said that, there's no reason not to try Exminster for them :t:

Hi Mike.

I'm assuming no-one has PM'd you on this.

Woodlark is hanging on here in a unique habitat. Its breeding areas are not generally disclosed; and I'm afraid that applies to wintering grounds as well, in case they decide to stay and breed. There are better counties in which to see Woodlarks, as I'm sure you know.

Having said that, there's no reason not to try Exminster for them :t:

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me about it, sadly no one has PM'd me about it, so i guess will have to find them for myself. I assumed your population was that from Norfolk coming across to winter.

Cheers

Mike

Plymouth Estuary

Hi all, I'm very new to forums but wanted to find out more about what people are spotting in Devon. I've found a great spot on the Plym Estuary, everyday without fail there is something new Pochard, Turnstone, Kingfisher & Sparrowhawk.

Did anyone hear anymore about that Glossy Ibis on Drakes Island?

Hi all, I'm very new to forums but wanted to find out more about what people are spotting in Devon. I've found a great spot on the Plym Estuary, everyday without fail there is something new Pochard, Turnstone, Kingfisher & Sparrowhawk.

Did anyone hear anymore about that Glossy Ibis on Drakes Island?

Most Devon Birders do not post on this thread anymore. If you want to know about the Glossy Ibis then look at http://devonbirdnews.blogspot.com/
Roger

Still two Snow Buntings on Northam Burrows today.

Attachments

• snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 103
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 123
I was wondering if anyone could give me directions to mansands at all please? I am not familiar with that part of Devon so as much info as poss would be great such as the best place to park, postcodes for sat nav, anything really that will help at all.

Thanks
Rob

Can anyone help with the best location on Exminster Marshes to view the SEO's that have been in the area over the last few days?

Cheers

I am coming down to the area tomorrow, and would like (if it sticks around) to see the Long-eared Owl that's at Exminster Marshes. I'd be grateful for any info about where it's been roosting, or seen hunting. Thanks!

Near to the car park, along station road?

According to the recent pager messages the Spoonbills at Islay Marsh RSPB are viewable distantly from the B3233 at Midway Motors. Does that mean they aren't viewable from the coastal path at Islay Marsh. Thanks. Roger

According to the recent pager messages the Spoonbills at Islay Marsh RSPB are viewable distantly from the B3233 at Midway Motors. Does that mean they aren't viewable from the coastal path at Islay Marsh. Thanks. Roger

As it says - distantly, I guess. Probably save you a walk along the Tarka Trail to get a good look at them at close range! I haven't been over to see them recently (but tomorrow is another year!), so I think they are indeed still viewable from the path around Isley Marsh reserve. I can see them (as little white dots!) from my house in Braunton, but I wouldn't recommend it as an ideal view!:-O

As it says - distantly, I guess. Probably save you a walk along the Tarka Trail to get a good look at them at close range! I haven't been over to see them recently (but tomorrow is another year!), so I think they are indeed still viewable from the path around Isley Marsh reserve. I can see them (as little white dots!) from my house in Braunton, but I wouldn't recommend it as an ideal view!:-O

Thanks John. I am passing that way next Sunday so will walk along to Islay Marsh from the end of the old power station road. Roger

Roadford Reservoir this morning; birds included 2 Willow Tit, 2 Tree Creeper, 18 Bullfinch, 300+ Wigeon (One very pale female type almost leucistic), 80+ Tufted Duck, 1 Northern Shoveler, 18 Common Goldeneye (photo) and 2 drake Goosander.

Attachments

• IMG_5209.JPG
    IMG_5209.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 127
I am coming down to the area tomorrow, and would like (if it sticks around) to see the Long-eared Owl that's at Exminster Marshes. I'd be grateful for any info about where it's been roosting, or seen hunting. Thanks!

Near to the car park, along station road?
Many thanks for those who passed on info. Sadly - and has been widely reported - it had been flushed by some asshole photographers. So much for those of us who simply wanted even a glimpse of it. Can totally see why it's best to suppress some birds, now.

I did get the Surf Scoter and see my first Cirl Buntings though, so it's not all bad.

Many thanks for those who passed on info. Sadly - and has been widely reported - it had been flushed by some asshole photographers. So much for those of us who simply wanted even a glimpse of it. Can totally see why it's best to suppress some birds, now.

I did get the Surf Scoter and see my first Cirl Buntings though, so it's not all bad.

I saw the LEO yesterday and today and sadly from my experience it was not just photographers who were giving the bird a hard time.

On Saturday it was quite literally a circus with people entering the field "to get better views" and approaching within 10 feet of it. Today was no better with just about everyone virtually sticking their heads in the hedge where it was attempting to roost. Passing walkers, families with dogs, birders and photographers alike were all joining in despite some more responsible birders advising people not to go in the field.

It seemed most people were not content with views from the far side of the lane and wanted close up views.

I am amazed the bird has stayed so long considering the disturbance it is getting.

The Glossy Ibis however seemed unfazed by all the activity and was regularly seen close to the lane only flying off when dogs went past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back