• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dewick's Plusia (3 Viewers)

Johnny Allan

Dip or Glory
Hi there,

over the past few weeks, up to eight Dewick's Plusia Moths have been trapped or seen at Beddington SF, Greater London/Surrey. Since Dewick's Plusia is supposed to be a vagrant to Britain, we find this pretty amazing.

http://surreybirding.blogspot.com/2011/09/moth-wednesday.html

We are trying to get more details on this moth so if anyone can give an opinion why they are turning up on this site in numbers, what their up to date UK status is (I can only find 2 previous Surrey records), or if an influx has been noted anywhere I'd be grateful for any info. Site details here:

http://www.diporglory.co.uk/page4.html

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Birdguides produce a seasonal moth report and seem to have good access to various sources. If you let them know, i'm sure they will give you some feedback. What has the county recorder said? They've got to be breeding near by haven't they?

Johnny

I am unaware of a significant influx but there is certainly a reasonable bit of migrant activity currently and a few records on the usual websites:-

http://atropos.info/gb/

http://www.dorsetmothgroup.org.uk/latest_sightings.htm

I would say that there is evidence of increased occurrence in recent years - see for instance the increase in Dungeness records:-

http://www.mothsofdungeness.co.uk/systematiclist2/dewicks.htm

The main work on Moths in Britain is MOGBI (Moths of Great Britain and Ireland) and the relevant volume is Volume 10 pages 334 and 335 but unfortunately this volume was published in 1983. Interestingly, it refers to the species as having been originally a central and eastern Palearctic species which spread rapidly into western Europe from 1920 to reach its 'current' (ie 1983) distribution by 1955. (The first British record was 1951.) It is not unusual for moths to colonise even temporarily so I would certainly not rule that out. As far as I am aware though, this is unknown in Dewick's Plusia so far. My best guess is 'normally' c10-20 records per year in recent years.

All the best

Paul Chapman

Last edited:
Johnny

Double-checking MOGBI shows it on 11 County Lists as at 1983 - nine with a single record and two with 2-3 records. The Provisional Atlas of UK's Larger Moths as at 2010 shows over 80 10km squares with records of which around 65 are post-2000.

This reinforces my best guess from last night as a number of sites will have multiple records.

All the best

Paul Chapman

One just turned up in my garden in Surrey - has anyone got any up-to-date info on its current status?

Attachments

• Dewick's plusia ex P9150157_edited.jpg
    Dewick's plusia ex P9150157_edited.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Norfolk Moths say they are believed to be breeding in the county.
I had two on 4thSep. There have been 62 moths from 39 records in Norfolk this year according to their Web site. There have been records from April to October in previous years.

Thanks, Jabber, the only relevant book I have is quite out-of-date. There were only two known records for Surrey when it was published.

A friend in Hertfordshire has had up to eight in hi trap this year...when I was trapping in the UK they were still a major find, how times change

A friend in Hertfordshire has had up to eight in hi trap this year...when I was trapping in the UK they were still a major find, how times change
Indeed. I had my first clifden non-pareil locally a year or two ago; and a toadflax brocade larva in my garden. All three species were very rare in Surrey when I was most actively moth trapping 15 years ago.

It's now regarded as a breeding species in parts of the UK, with numbers increased by immigrants. It is regarded as resident in Surrey and the SE. I have recorded it at light several times in both Southfields and Barnes and it's known from Epsom, Putney Heath, Richmond Park, W. Molesey, Wandsworth Common, Weybridge and Kennington. Hope this helps.

Johnny

Double-checking MOGBI shows it on 11 County Lists as at 1983 - nine with a single record and two with 2-3 records. The Provisional Atlas of UK's Larger Moths as at 2010 shows over 80 10km squares with records of which around 65 are post-2000.

This reinforces my best guess from last night as a number of sites will have multiple records.

All the best

Paul Chapman

I had the second Bristol Region record on 3rd August 2022 but it is now considered to be a likely resident. We had five in 2022 in the end and have recorded it again in 2023.

This was the second from 2022. Several were to the Ni lure.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20231020_193129.jpg
    20231020_193129.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back