• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digic 3 procesor from Canon (1 Viewer)

I am waiting hopefully for the arrival of the 40D. hope my wife doesn't read this or she will be hiding my Barclay card!

Well the latest is.
the "face of Canon" will be the one being announced at the PMA in march with no others announced this half of the year.
So this means either the 1dmk3 or the 1dsmk3.

I love hearing all this stuff and then seeing how much is actually correct when stuff comes out.

The other thing that is interesting is a beta tester was spotted and all the name bits were taped up but it had a 3 inch screen on the back of it.... he quickly put it away and went back to shooting with his 1dmk2n. hmmm
could that be the new 1dmk3...
oooo exciting hahahaha
im praying its not going to be more than 3k.

just to update the rumours

new 1d and 1ds to be announced soon.
1d - full frame, 10fps, upto iso6400. but $4500! eek
and all it said on the 1ds was upto 22mp.

oh and theres supposed to be dealers being told on the 23rd of feb ...

im depressed now .. even if the currency was converted as thats stands your talking £2400. So rip off britain means more like £3000 to £3500. bum

peteh said:
just to update the rumours

1d - full frame, 10fps, upto iso6400. but $4500! eek
and all it said on the 1ds was upto 22mp.

oh and theres supposed to be dealers being told on the 23rd of feb ...

im depressed now .. even if the currency was converted as thats stands your talking £2400. So rip off britain means more like £3000 to £3500. bum

If this is true, Canon's message to birders is clear: get the 40D!

peteh said:
1d - full frame, 10fps, upto iso6400.

I wonder how many people felt that 8.5fps was just too slow... surely not too many. For shots of flyers the AF will need to be amazing to adjust between shots...

Keith Reeder said:
Any scuttlebutt on new lenses, Pete?

Well theres the rumour of a 100-400L f4 thats been going round for a bit but alot of people seem to be scoffing that one saying its not going to happen it would be to expensive etc.

so nothing on lenses that would be useful to us birdy people.

oh i forgot to mention the new 1d will be in the body of the 1v .... its Canons pro film body. so no grip. Looks like a 5d to me.
Rumours flying around that there will be all sorts of grip accessories to be bought like wifi, gps, etc etc.

Ah I found the info . so here it is

snip.

Canon high end strategy goes for 35mm format
New Canon high-end cameras announced: D1 and D1S models with 35mm format sensor area.

The new D1 packs the sensor of the 5D in a really robust body, the film-loading 1V (end to that era?). The capture speed is very high and there is that mysterious comment that the 1D has no memory buffer, presumably wring directly to the flash card. The new 1Ds shares the same body and brings the pixel count to 22 million on a 24x36mm area. The most intriguing remark is Canons statement that from now on there will be no more 1.3 crop sensors. The strategy then is clear: the amateur market will be served by APS-C with 1.5/1.6 crop factor and a new range of lenses. The professional high-end market will be exclusively served by full-format sensors allowing all Canon lenses to operate at the true computed focal length and viewing angle. Canon seems to be quite confident that the problems with the 35mm format can be addressed and overcome. There is now also an ISO 6400 value available. The new cameras will be formidable instruments, the 1D attacking the professional market for mobile photography and the 1Ds (with 22 M pixels) attacking the medium format stationary (studio) photography. There is a risk here: many professional reportage photographers do not want nor need that huge amount of pixels. Is Nikon smarter in this respect and listening more closely to the market?

Nikon continues to state that they will not embark on that route and stay faithful to the APS format derivatives. For how long we may ask?

The 1D will retail for 4500 dollars and will be cheaper than the Leica M8. This is not a clash of civilisations, but a minor clash of belief. The M8 couples a mechanical film-loading body to a solid state sensor and retains as much of the classical values as can be done within the technological constraints.

snip.

Last edited:
i sure hope any new camera will have a quiet shutter ,the 1dmk2 is so loud it scare's birds away . my 400d is far better in this respect.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back