• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping adapter(s) for Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra ? (1 Viewer)

jurek

Who can suggest a digiscoping adapter(s) linking Samsung Galaxy s23 ultra smartphone and Swarovski ATS65 20-60x zoom scope, and Samsung Galaxy s23 ultra smartphone and Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL binoculars?

I am confused here - there are some very expensive adapters, and also some much cheaper ones which actually look better.

I've just ordered an S23 ultra and have a Harpia 95 scope.
I have tried some of the cheaper adapters in the past (Opticron/Viking) with my older phones and found them to be very fiddly and difficult to get a decent image with.
I'm going to try with a Smartoscope Vario adapter (expensive!) as people seem to get great results with it. I've been told by a supplier it can be returned if not good. I think the Phoneskope adapters are quite well regarded as well though, and a bit less cost wise.
I suppose that you could try some of the cheaper ones shown on Amazon as they are always easy to return.

Funny thing is, that for years I used a very good adapter which was cheap and handmade. A ring printed on a 3D printer gifted by a friend, which I glued to a cheap phone cover. It worked perfectly. But it does not fit new camera and scope.

Check out the Gosky brand. They have universal adapters in the 20-50 USD range. Fiddley, but inexpensive. I was successful in making it work with my Pixel XL and the 30-60x zoom for my Nikon Monarch ED 82.

Thanks - I ordered Phone Skope and wonder how it will turn out?

I find variable adapters useless - fixing them into position every time takes just too much time to be practical. Eventually, one could think of gluing such adapter fixed into one position.

Good luck with the Phone Skope. Their cases are nice and compact. I've had a problem with getting the EP adapter to fit on my Nikon zoom, some filing seems to be bringing it into line.

I did get a Smartoscope Vario. I'm getting good results with it but it's a lot harder to fit it onto my scope eyepiece and needs to be pushed on more firmly than I would like, but once on it does the job. It certainly feels like it will last. They do an adjustable ring to fit on the eyepiece which might be easier to locate but at £59 I'll leave it for now.

I just received the Phone Skope adapters but will check them in the field only in the weekend.

At first look, the dimensions fit well. However, the weight of the phone causes the whole adapter to turn around and point downwards, especially the smaller ring designed for bins.

Yes, these smartphones with big batteries apply extra torque to the eyecup. I found my best solution was to attach the phone and adapter in such a position that its weight rotates the eyecup to its fully extended position, which is where the phone camera 'sees' the greatest image. In my instance. The phone ends up sticking out at the 9 o'clock position, but it's stable and the image can be adjusted in post-processing if needed.

Hope that makes sense. My system is different, but the principle should be the same.

Best-

If anybody cares, my first impressions from Sunday.

The adapter is serviceable and fits both bins and the scope well.

There are two problems. The smaller ring, meant for bins, is more loose. It lacks additional bumps which stabilize the other ring. Together with the weight of the phone, this makes the set rather problematic to use.

The second problem is related to the design of Galaxy 23 ultra phone itself. When one zooms, the phone switches from one camera to another. In the adapter, switching between cameras is possible but awkward. Every time I do it, I am afraid of breaking the whole adapter. If I want to do it while digiscoping, I must dismount the wholes set. When I remove the setup and want to use zoom, e.g. for photo of a butterfly in between photos of birds, normal camera is blocked which makes finding the target awkward. I did not solve this problem yet.

And a minor thing - most people carry the phone in a Spigen protective cover all the time. The adapter is designed to the phone without the cover. It requires taking it off the cover. Would an option to mount the phone with the Spigen armor cover be too much oto ask?

Still not solved one more problem related to the phone itself. When I take pics of contrasting birds, they come with while patches. On the phone screen all looks OK, but on the photo not. An egret in front of reeds is almost always burned white. A duck on wavy water, white waves are too bright. Any ideas?

Jurek, digi-scoping with binoculars requires a little patience and ingenuity. If the adapter doesn't quite fit then use a material or some rubber cut to size etc I have been digi-scoping a while and I use a cheap quality adapter, no need for expensive ones. Some binoculars can be a pain depending on their shape, I haven't had a binocular that I can't get it to work and I can get some great images or film.
No need for expensive adapters, however get one that has parts made from metal, I use svbony at the minute.
The images should be clear.
Optical zoom is not ideal, like you say the phone changes lenses, there's no easy way with that.
I only use lossless digital zoom with the lens in the adapter. It works well. I don't need to zoom mostly as it's already at 8x looking through the bin.
You'll find optical zoom quickly degrades even on the S23 ultra through a bin.

You can not change quickly, you either do butterflies then do birds after.

For "digi-binning" I just put my phone's camera up to the bins eyepiece and click the shutter. Takes practice, but a documentary picture of a Western Screech Owl shows what's possible.
PXL_20230621_142039958~2.jpg

I got the Vanguard VEO-PA-65 universal adapter and it works very well. Max eyepiece size is 54mm, but I ended up removing the rubber skin around the 3 little legs that attach to the eyepiece and it fits perfectly well 55mm eyepieces (Kowa's). It actually works better without that rubber skin in smaller eyepieces too.

Funny thing is, that for years I used a very good adapter which was cheap and handmade. A ring printed on a 3D printer gifted by a friend, which I glued to a cheap phone cover. It worked perfectly. But it does not fit new camera and scope.
Could you not buy a phonescope ring and glue it to a normal phone case ?
The best looking adapters
all seem to be across the pond and made by people who don't export.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back