• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a Panasonic G5 (1 Viewer)

michael23

Hi all, just wondering if any of you are using a panasonic G5 for digiscoping.

If so, are you using it with a lens attached or body straight on to an adapter via t2 mount?

And what mounting system do you use.

Hi,
i'm using it with my Kowa 884 spotting scope and the sigma 30mm. You'll get no vignetting from 20x to 60x which gives you an f (eq) of 1200-3600mm. The results up to 2000mm are VERY good, if the target isn't too far away. For greater distances I prefer my old Nikon P6000.

vdaffyduck: in which way is the Nikon P6000 beter at longer distances? Does it deliver better quality (more contrast, sharper) images?

Hi all, just wondering if any of you are using a panasonic G5 for digiscoping.

If so, are you using it with a lens attached or body straight on to an adapter via t2 mount?

And what mounting system do you use.
I didn't buy my G5 for digiscoping but it does seem to have good potential. With the 45-150mm lens set at 45mm I experimented with hand holding the camera to my swarovski ATM80 with 30x lens. I was surprised at the results even with this brief trial. I had the camera set on auto and the shutter speed was 1/100, f4 and iso 320. I have cropped the attached to remove vignetting in the corners and lightened the picture in photoshop. The picture isn't very sharp but I hope better results could be got with practice even hand held.

David

Attachments

• Black-tailed Godwit-030.jpg
    Black-tailed Godwit-030.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 211
I use my GF5 for digiscoping (should be much the same for your camera as it is the lens that is important). I use mine with the 14-42 power zoom and it works very well with my Swaro scope especially when used with the 30x eyepiece.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back