• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disassembly and Collimating Nikon 7x35 9.3°? (1 Viewer)

Red_Shoulder

Picked up an old used pair, I'm not seeing any eccentric rings or screws?

Can't seem to get the eyepieces off, like I usually can either. No screw on the back of the center.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Picked up an old used pair, I'm not seeing any eccentric rings or screws?

Can't seem to get the eyepieces off, like I usually can either. No screw on the back of the center.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike:

Please submit photos. As you might imagine, Nikon has made more than one 7x35.

Bill

Really great to hear from you on this!!! Let me know if you need more photos or anything. Not seeing a date on the pamphlet that came with them, but I'd guess 80's.

20160219_120637_20160219_121232.jpg

Not seeing a screw on the back of the hinge :(

Attachments

• 20160219_120635-1_20160219_121146.jpg
    20160219_120635-1_20160219_121146.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 129
I can't zoom in on the pic for some reason. I get an error message from birdforum that says invalid link.

Regardless, these look like the original Nikon wide field Actions. I have a pair in 7x35 and 8x35.

I will leave it up to Bill to comment on the collimation specifics. My only experience with this model in this area is that I have had some luck with slightly tightening or loosening the objective barrel. I dropped one of my pairs and upon inspection found that they were out of alignment. One of the objective barrels (plastic) was slightly askew. So I unscrewed it, checked the threads and then screwed it back on. What I found was that if it was overtightened or not tightened enough then the barrels were out of alignment.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for your reply, try it now, I've been switching photos. I think it should work.

I had a pair of Swift Aerolite 7x35 that arrived with a cross threaded objective. Unscrewed it, put it back properly, and it worked fine!

I tried unscrewing the objectives on the Nikons, both sides, hoping that if it was collimated using eccentric rings, I could get it lined up, at least somewhat. But it doesn't seem to do much.

View attachment 574337

Upload got goofed up, here's a photo of the binoculars

First things first; why did you take the Eps off? If, for whatever reason, you NEED to have them off, we will discuss that later.

If that model doesn’t have eccentric rings, the photo attached will show you the approximate location of the screws. You may have to dig through the leatherette a bit. That’s where experience comes in handy. After a while, you just KNOW where to “dig,” and can make the incision very tiny. BUT, be certain there are no eccentrics hiding on you; ‘not need to mess up your leatherette unnecessarily. Sometimes, there are additional metal rings or flat gaskets covering there eccentrics.:cat:

Without a collimator, or knowing WHICH is the erring side and knowing the other is collimated to the axle, the most you are going to get is conditional alignment.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill

PS These are Allen screws; most are flat head.

Attachments

• Bino Collimation copy.JPG
    Bino Collimation copy.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I took off the objectives, and didn't see any screws on the rear prism. I haven't been able to remove the eps to see if there are any on the front prism, or another mechanism . I haven’t seen any eccentric rings, which are potentially easy to miss, but rotating/unscrewing the objectives doesn't seem to affect collimation, so I don't think it has them.

Sometimes it seems like it is is affecting collimation a bit, but then I'm turning it, and not much is happening

Last edited:
I took off the objectives, and didn't see any screws on the rear prism. I haven't been able to remove the eps to see if there are any on the front prism, or another mechanism . I haven’t seen any eccentric rings, which are potentially easy to miss, but rotating/unscrewing the objectives doesn't seem to affect collimation, so I don't think it has them.

Sometimes it seems like it is is affecting collimation a bit, but then I'm turning it, and not much is happening

Mayday! MAYDAY! Did you mark or scribe the objectives relative to the correct side or orientation to that side before removing them!

If they use the THROUGH_THE_BODY convention, you need not have removed the EPs. I've never seen a bino with upper prism screws without lower prism screws.

Bill

Also, I'm not getting a clear sharp view, so I want to see if the eps are dirty on the back. I am afraid it's the scratches, though, they're really scratched

Also, I'm not getting a clear sharp view, so I want to see if the eps are dirty on the back. I am afraid it's the scratches, though, they're really scratched

Are you sure? The removal of AR coatings is an annoyance. But, SCRATCHES deep enough to SEE require regrinding, repolishing, and recoating $$$$$, which will change the Rx. But then, you did say an "Old used pair." I don't want to be negative, but you may be peeing up a rope!

Bill

Last edited:
The eccentric rings hid well!!! But they don't seem to have enough travel? I'll have to try some more, haven'tbeen able to straighten them up yet. But I was actually able to look through them at one point.

The objective end doesn't unscrew, it's rubber, and pulls/rolls off.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen an optic scratched this bad. Even a lot of cleaning marks don't really hurt much, or coating marks. But this is bad. Wondering if I could measure it and get a decent replacement from surplus shed?

The view us fairly good, usable, but lacks contrast

The eccentric rings hid well!!! But they don't seem to have enough travel? I'll have to try some more, haven'tbeen able to straighten them up yet. But I was actually able to look through them at one point.

The objective end doesn't unscrew, it's rubber, and pulls/rolls off.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen an optic scratched this bad. Even a lot of cleaning marks don't really hurt much, or coating marks. But this is bad. Wondering if I could measure it and get a decent replacement from surplus shed?

The view us fairly good, usable, but lacks contrast

More than ever, I'm convinced you're peeing up a rope. Now, if we have established that, you are free to learn. And, what you learn may be considerably more valuable to you than the bino, anyway.

Agreed?

By "travel," do you mean not enough eccentricity? That usually means you have swapped the objectives or at least one prism needs to be reset.

Bill

Ps Now, slowly move the red, yellow, blue, and green wires aside and look for and snip the mauve wire, although the harness has been subjected to sunlight, don't get the mauve confused with the light purple or dark pink. Snipping the wrong one coul . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
I swapped the objective assemblies and that did it! They are lined up ok. Whew! Thanks a million, Bill, I thought the objective assemblies were interchangeable. Who knows if I would have gotten around to doing that on my own.

I pretty much was thinking this might be just an educational project after looking at these. I probably would have REALLY not wanted to open these up if they worked well. But in their condition, they were mostly worthless.

These must be good binoculars. Im not sure how the surfaces of the eps got so scratched ( cleaning aggressively, daily, with a T shirt for 20 years? ) they're still sharp and usable for birding. Would like to fix the eps , that would be great!!!

I swapped the objective assemblies and that did it! They are lined up ok. Whew! Thanks a million, Bill, I thought the objective assemblies were interchangeable. Who knows if I would have gotten around to doing that on my own.

I pretty much was thinking this might be just an educational project after looking at these. I probably would have REALLY not wanted to open these up if they worked well. But in their condition, they were mostly worthless.

These must be good binoculars. Im not sure how the surfaces of the eps got so scratched ( cleaning aggressively, daily, with a T shirt for 20 years? ) they're still sharp and usable for birding. Would like to fix the eps , that would be great!!!

You realize, of course, that now that I've given you this information, I'm gonna hafta kill ya! You can expect Guido and his driver between 4 and 5. After that, he wants double. So, you may have to wait until tomorrow. I'm not paying that #$%#*(&%%$ one penny more than I have to for his )*)!#$@@$% work. :cat::eek!::cat::eek!::cat::t:

Bill

PS Feel free (or at least reasonably cheap) to call for help, again.
PPS Pull off the rubber eyecups. Your view will tell you what to do to get into the EPs.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest that much earlier, but didn't want to interfere.
Swapping objectives sometimes works.

I have seen eyepieces so badly scratched as to render top binoculars useless.

I was going to suggest that much earlier, but didn't want to interfere.
Swapping objectives sometimes works.

I have seen eyepieces so badly scratched as to render top binoculars useless.

That was kind and considerate. With some folks, I would have just backed out of the conversation. You are not such a person.

Bill

PS I think the collimation issue will surface again. Experience tells me he was probably relying too heavily on his spatial accommodation. Let's hope not.

Last edited:
You realize, of course, that now that I've given you this information, I'm gonna hafta kill ya! You can expect Guido and his driver between 4 and 5. After that, he wants double. So, you may have to wait until tomorrow. I'm not paying that #$%#*(&%%$ one penny more than I have to for his )*)!#$@@$% work. :cat::eek!::cat::eek!::cat::t:

Bill

PS Feel free (or at least reasonably cheap) to call for help, again.
PPS Pull off the rubber eyecups. Your view will tell you what to do to get into the EPs.

Lol!

I'll be in the woods. Birding. They'll never find me :D

But I'm sure the mobs customer service department is happy to give you a refund!

You still gotta help me get the eps out! Need to see if the back is hazy like the front

Lol!

I'll be in the woods. Birding. They'll never find me :D

But I'm sure the mobs customer service department is happy to give you a refund!

You still gotta help me get the eps out! Need to see if the back is hazy like the front

That's right; make it tough on me; I see how you are.

Birding!? This is the bino speculation forum. What's this birding stuff? When I moved to Twin Falls, I inherited magpies, but left my beautiful stellers jays behind.

BC

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back