• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dixonsummer Madness - Finland 2009 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

I have been looking forward to two weeks in Finland this summer ever since suggesting to my brother's partner Taru in the pub that we could gatecrash her parents' place when she and Dave went over. Huge thanks are due to Taru for a fortnight of interpretation with those Finns without English (not many I have to say), to her parents who accommodated and looked after us for nearly the whole fortnight, and to her sister and brother and their families who took the strain for part of the time as well.

Without further ado, off we go!

28 June

Dave, Marion and I flew from LHR to Helsinki, picked up two hire cars and belted off towards Savonlinna where Taru had already had a week with her parents. Two dead Red Foxes on the roads were part of very little roadkill seen the entire holiday and were the only foxes of the trip. Hooded Crows and a Hobby were the most prominent birds at motorway and fast normal road speeds.

We stopped at a randomly chosen layby for a leg stretch and found the answer to the age-old question about whether bears do it in the woods: yes they do because we found the toilet they do it on sitting amid the pine trees. Beyond this bizarre dumping ground was a gem of a lake with four summer adult Black-throated Divers loafing in the hot sunshine. I took pix just in case this was the only ones we saw: in fact we saw lots more but they were all more distant.

After about four hours of driving we reached our destination South-east of Savonlinna. As we were unpacking the car Marion remarked: "hey, that bird sounds just like a Corncrake!" "That's because its a Corncrake" was the reply.

Now Marion has maintained relentlessly that she is not a birder, has no ambition to be a birder, will never be a birder..... I'm sorry but the only British non-birders that can ID a Corncrake on call live in the Hebs - her cover is now well and truly blown! Marion is outed. Incidentally it called throughout our stay but we never saw it.

By the time we had all settled in it was 0115 and still not really dark.

29 June

Rest and orientation day. I was up and out earlyish and rewarded with a Honey Buzzard over the house, a Golden Oriole singing in the birch woods nearby, Whinchat, more Hooded Crows and some common stuff. Just after Marion joined me Taru's father returned from fetching his morning paper, grabbed us in a state of excitement and led us a hundred yards up the track past his barn to see a pair of adult Cranes feeding in the cut hay field. My camera was immediately clicking.

One of the Cranes had a huge bulging growth on top of its head that made it look rather like an airworthy Cassowary, but it didn't seem to impede the bird in any way. Perhaps it originally came from Chernobyl, though I saw it in poor weather later in the week and it wasn't glowing in the dark.

Once everyone was up and breakfasted we drove in to Savonlinna to provision shop and look round the town, as well as visiting the nature information centre in search of seal information. We didn't get much beyond what I had already found on the web, and decided to pursue a seal trip that way. We did find breeding Wigeon, several White Wagtails, and some Tree Sparrows, all of which were very approachable.

We also partook of tea and discovered that like America, Finland is not really a place for an English tea drinker - although we got quite used to Liptons Yellow Label.

Back at base I put a line of small mammal traps out before Taru took us out rowing on the lake in her parents' boat. In addition to a roding Woodcock before we launched, we added Goldeneye and Whooper Swan to the trip list, although after an encounter later in the trip I now suspect the swan was genuinely plastic - I mean manufactured rather than hatched! We saw plenty more later so its not important - but you need to keep your guard up even in the backwoods....

30 June to 1 July

When we began planning this holiday a main feature in my mind was always to spend a night in a bear watching hide. The rest of the gang decided it would be best to do this early on, partly because if it went awry we would have time to rebook, and partly I suspect because they thought John would be unbearably twitchy until it was done!

After our total failure to get any joy out of the organisation at whose hide Jon Hall nailed Wolverine, I had written off that species and happily left booking the bear hide to Taru, given her Finnish origin. She chose it from Google with as much regard for distance to the location as for sighting track record. You could therefore argue that our hide was picked with a pin - some pin it turned out to be!

Before we left I had a wander round the huge grounds and found my first live mammal of the trip, a Brown Hare. I also got record shots of Honey Buzzard. However, I left my camera in the house when I walked down to the summer cottage to check and lift the traps - I couldn't leave them while we were away. As a result I got no pictures of the Azure Hawker that allowed me to view it down to six inches. There was nothing in the traps either.

We spent much of the day driving up to Nurmes, all four in one car since luggage wasn't an issue on an out-and-back overnight hide trip. Dave drove, navigating by satnav and leaving me free to stare into the endless woods and up side tracks in the hope of spotting an Elk. In retrospect, I certainly saw one and possibly two more but we were on a bit of a timescale and moving fast so I didn't force a stop.

We met the bear hide guys in their office by a hotel in Nurmes, where they explained that about 95% of their clients saw bears before we all climbed into a 110 Defender and set off into the boonies. The drive took about an hour, the highlight being a bike we passed that our guide said belonged to the local nutter, who lived in the woods in summer, sleeping out and eating berries and roots. He also remarked that sometimes Wolverine was more regular than bear, which I had some scepticism over and wondered if his English was confusing Wolverine with Pine Marten.

The hide itself, as we dashed into it to get away from Mosquitoes the size of bears and ferocity of Wolverines, was of similar construction to UK hides: that is, a bear would only have to lean on it to either get in or push it down the bluff on which it was perched, overlooking a still forest pool with trees not quite down to the edge. Fixed glass slot windows lined the front edge, with chairs and beds lined along it and a proper toilet built into one corner.

We settled in and Olli set out a variety of snacks for overnight - Karelian pasties, rye bread and rolls with cheese, meats and salads to accompany, oranges, and fortunately plenty of drinks, because it was oppressively hot and the sun was glaring in through the windows in front of us.

Our arrival had disturbed Ravens from pecking at the baits on each side of the pool. Olli told us there were meat and fish baits to maximise the scent, Dave asked where the bait on the far side was from the big rock. I explained that wasn't a rock - it was a whole adult dead pig, and there was another on our side of the pool! They had been there since Saturday and it was now Tuesday, so perhaps the non-opening windows were a blessing!

We began our vigil. We had been told that sometimes the first animals arrived at 2000 hrs, but that came and went without incident. Olli conceded that most of the action is between 2300 and 0300. Initial excitement had faded to (in my case, having dragged everyone into this) near desperation. By 2330 even I faded out in the chair - the others were spark out although Dave insists he never slept, just rested his eyes. Yeah, right. I woke again after an hour and forced some alertness into my head. Middle of peak time - come on John.

Suddenly Olli remarked "Marte (word he had used for Wolverine - sorry if my spelling or understanding is adrift) on the far bank". Thinking still that he probably meant Pine Marten, I shook Maz awake before looking, by which time Olli had stated firmly in English, "There's a Wolverine near the bait on the far side".

I hastily raised my bins and to my total shock and delight, there was a great big black weasel with shoulders like Schwarzenegger, a golden skull cap and band round its flanks, and a confident rocking-horse gait, loping towards the pig along the grassy pool margin - a real live Wolverine in the open, showing well and absolutely and for all time on the list!!!

I had given a little lecture to the others on behaviour if anything turned up (I've seen too many twitches with early celebrations flushing the quarry) so we saved the cheers and conversations and just got on with enjoying this fantastic treat.

I took several photos, camera on tripod as the sun was below the horizon (just) and the light was very difficult. Flash was out of the question, but the Wolverine reacted to every press of the shutter despite the distance being 80 metres and through solid glass and wood. What hearing!

It tugged at the far pig for a bit, then bounded round to the right and appeared right below the hide, maybe 20 metres away! I forebore to take pix as I didn't want to risk the noise at that range, but Dave's camcorder was running and he got some cracking stuff with it. It approached the second pig and gave that a mauling, actually moving its 300kg a couple of feet before it climbed up with all four feet on top of it and looked around before deciding to grab a salmon instead and run off to cache it.

Before long it was back, went briefly back to that pig then ran back past us and round to the further bait. It was always very alert and kept an eye on the forest in case a bear turned up. I took one picture near the nearer pig - I was just unable not to for any longer!

Just beyond the far side pig it stood and sniffed and looked for a while, then slid into the pool and swam across, head high, back low, before clambering out and spraying water everywhere with a quick shake. It went back again to the nearer baits and grabbed another fish before finally departing into the forest away from us along the left bank.

When it was clear it was gone, there was a bit of an outburst from everyone, with me declaring that I really didn't now care if we didn't see a bear at all, and everyone absolutely delighted. Olli reckoned that there are about 200 Wolverines in Finland - not many, in miles and miles and miles of forest!

Adrenalin was now fizzing in our blood and for the moment, falling asleep again was unlikely. In fact we only had to wait about twenty minutes before Olli hissed "Karhu" which thanks to some very acceptable (but expensive) beer we already knew was Finnish for Brown Bear - and a huge male was approaching the far side bait. Well we thought it was huge - Olli confirmed it was the biggest of the three males that came to the baits. We had pulled off the double! He had told us we were unlikely to see females with cubs as they avoided places where males regularly went due to the latter's habit of eating cubs. A big male was fine with us.

It seemed well fed and well groomed, and if the Wolverine had body-builder's shoulders there are just no words left for the power exuded from the bear's bulk and the slow, menacing, rolling gait with which it approached the pig.

With its forepaws it rolled the pig towards it, flipping it over a couple of times before tugging at the hide and then pacing to one end to begin dragging the corpse into the woods. It couldn't get far because the animal was roped to a tree but it moved the pig effortlessly until the rope brought it up short, not even being slowed down when the body fetched up against a three-inch thick dead sapling - the tree was just snapped off and fell across the dead pig as it was dragged onward.

The bear made a fair meal off the pig, continuing to attempt to drag it away between ripping large lumps off it. Because it had got into the thin screen of birches we didn't get really in the open shots after it first moved the bait, but we could see all the action easily with bins.

After twenty minutes or so the bear moved away into the forest but it returned a couple of times, Olli speculating that it might have driven away a smaller bear. Eventually it paced the length of the pool and round the far end, showing more in the open though further away, and we thought it might come up to the near bait. We held our collective breath but it made off into the forest and that was that.

Again we had a few minutes of excited chatter before settling down with expectation of more action.

At about 0315 the Wolverine came back for another five minutes of bouncing about on the far bank and feeding on the far pig, which had now been opened up for easy dining by the bear. It took a decent amount of meat before making off again, presumably to its lair.

We gave it till about 0530 before Olli led us back to the Land Rover, pointing out on the way signs of bear rooting smack on the path we had follwoed down to the hide. Now he tells us. We adjourned to his summer home, a log cabin only about a mile from the hide, where we celebrated with a beer in one hand and a coffee in the other before he asked whether we wanted to go back the long way (i.e. the way we had come) or the direct route.

Despite thinking it would cut our chances of wildlife I agreed with the others that early access to the hotel spa and swimming pool, plus the free hotel breakfast, that were both in the package, would be very much appreciated after our hot, muggy, tiring wakeful night, and we went the short way. I asked whether there were in fact any Elk about and Olli said most of them had gone North.

About a mile from his cabin I shrieked "stop stop STOP STOP!" and the 110 slid to a halt in a cloud of dust. I asked Olli to back up a few yards an sure enough, about twenty yards off the track, browsing relaxedly on scrubby birches in a recovering area of clear-fell, a cow Elk regarded us calmly. I had the window down and the camera up in seconds, although the Elk didn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere. We filled our boots with views and pix in the bright sunshine of the new day, then as she moved slowly away across the clearing we set off again. I was delighted with the hat-trick, and Dave had finally laid his bogey to rest - after visiting both Finland and Sweden more than once and being told Elk were easy, he was beginning to feel jinxed.

I had spotted the long ears sticking out sideways from a tall narrow head and neck - rather like the top of a pneumatic drill - and now recognised that I had seen exactly that the previous day up a side track. I was quite happy to leave this sighting as the tick, however.

As so often when a guide has enjoyed his clients' company - and we had got on pretty well - Olli now tried to give us a bit extra with a visit to an active Beaver pond, but unfortunately the rodents weren't playing this morning. It didn't matter. We were on top of the world.

More later - but it doesn't get any better than this!

John

Last edited:
"... partly I suspect because they thought John would be unbearably twitchy until it was done!"

...pun intended?!

Superb report John, I could feel the excitement! Can't wait for next instalment.

Dave had finally laid his bogey to rest - after visiting both Finland and Sweden more than once and being told Elk were easy, he was beginning to feel jinxed.

In my last six visits to Sweden and Finland and I too have not seen a single Elk, so I think they are not always as easy as 'easy' ;)

PS. In Lithuania, they are bastards. In Poland, however, they really are easy!

I will do my best with photos but I have pointed out before that only having access via work can be a problem. Believe me I want to get them out there!

Onward and upward:

1 July continued

Olli dropped us back at the hotel where we tried to wash the tiredness out with a swim and shower, then breakfast before setting off back South with a side trip to Koli National park for a look at the stupendous views (of trees and lakes, with some rocks for variety).

It was another hot day and both butterflies and dragons were scorching about too fast for identification at that location. A Goshawk overhead was added to the trip list but didn't linger.

David as duty driver was struggling to stay awake and when I woke up in the back seat to find I was the only one awake as we headed for the ditch and trees, my shout could have been heard back here in England. We took a break and both Dave and Taru crashed out for half an hour while Maz and I checked out the grounds of a stone sales centre (kitchens, bathrooms, heating and ornaments) and I watched Brilliant Emeralds whizzing up and down the nearby stream. This was repeated twice more before we reached base camp where I spotted a Mountain Hare just as we were getting out of the car. My pix were less than perfect as the camera was still on the landscape program, blast it.

Down towards the lake I found Northern Damselflies in profusion and several Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries that wouldn't pose and made me work hard for the underwing diagnostics.

2 July

Very definitely a rest morning, sleeping late and just pottering locally. The hot weather continued but a wind had got up. There were more butterflies about but still no ticks from a short walk that yielded several Painted Ladies, Ringlets, Silver-studded and Common Blues, a Small Tortoiseshell and best of the morning, a Black-veined White.

We had been invited to visit Taru's sister just outside Parikkala, in the far South-east of the country and right next to the famous Siikhalahti wetland reserve. The four of us recce'd the place during the early afternoon and ticked off Ruby Whiteface, though the wind prevented any other dragons being positively ID'd. I was fairly sure some emeralds in the less of one of the tree islands were Northern. Bird-wise several Marsh Harriers were about the best value.

The afternoon and evening were spent in social activities with Taru's sister and her family: meals, trampolining, clay pigeon shooting (Dave and I managed to hit one or two which was a great relief - nothing embarrasses like a clean sheet) and it was a good relaxation. I set my mental alarm clock for early...

3 July

I woke at 0340 and got up and out straight away. By 0400 I was back at Siikhalahti - alone. Can you imagine going to Titchwell, or Minsmere, or Cley, or Dungeness, on any day of the year and having it absolutely and entirely to yourself for hours on end? Me neither, but that's what I had that morning.

I made my way quickly past the information hut and out to the wet meadows, where a Long-eared Owl was quartering the reeds and sedges. Of course, it was straight into the low sun, but all the more atmospheric for that.

From the legendary bird tower I watched Marsh Harriers undertaking food passes, got close-ups of a White Wagtail that seemed to regard the top platform as his, and got full frame mix of an adult Whhoper Swan with four cygnets. Another adult was several hundred yards away across the lagoons and I watched surprised as the one with cygnets swam into view of the second, then just flew off, abandoning the youngsters. All was explained when the second one swam over to take up the babysitting duty.

In the distance I found a medium sized mammal swimming strongly from one reedbed to another, and my initial assumption of Otter or Beaver was quickly confounded by its pointy muzzle, ear shape and shagginess - it was a Raccoon Dog! Introduced maybe but definitely a species I had been hoping for. It wasn't on view for very long, disappearing into a huge reed island and it was much too far away for photos.

The sun was gathering strength and I went for a wander up and down the boardwalks, photographing Ruby Whitefaces, a Large Wall Brown that I had some difficulty identifying to start with, and after following up squeaking from the wet marsh getting brief views of a Water Shrew hunting frenetically through the tall stems. A couple of Ospreys fished and sent the gull colony into screaming whirling fury.

What I really wanted out of this place, however, was a bird, and despite checking out the sightings board and finding records from the last few days I was beginning to doubt I would see it. As I headed back towards the tower from the information hut, however, I heard an unfamiliar call from the dead birches near one end of a tree island and after a lot of hard work scrutinising tree trunks at long range I finally found a White-backed Woodpecker keeping a low profile on a dead trunk with a good deal of woodpecker damage. Hurrah! I watched until it flew into live woodland and disappeared with a last wild cry. That turned out to be my only bird lifer of the whole trip, but I wasn't quite done with ticking mammals at Siikhalahti as I spotted a rodent slip out from a sedge-covered bank into a channel and quickly identified it as another Nearctic introduction, a Muskrat. This too was camera shy, making directly across the channel and vanishing among reed and sedge clumps.

I kept trying all morning but the best I managed was pix of Variable and Northern Damselflies. The wind was quite fierce and definitely keeping the big dragonflies down, which was disappointing. A couple of immature Grey Herons contradicted Taru's statement that there are no herons in Finland, but I admit that they were the only ones of the trip, so perhaps Siikhalahti is special in that regard as well.

I had promised to resume normal human life at midday but earned a brownie point or two by getting back early. Dave had been for a run and found what he thought was a Moose (Elk) skull as well as seeing a Red Squirrel (which was grey, occasioning a short discussion on pelage variation), so we drove out to check it out. Couldn't find a squirrel but the skull did seem to be that of an Elk.

Returning to base we were all recruited to help unpack and start building the new barbeque hut, in reward for which we had a late brandy session. You get very long days in Finland - yawwwwnnnn...

to be continued

John

Last edited:
4 July

After more shed fun we drove into Savonlinna. Much of the day was touristy, visiting the castle, shopping and finding a brewery pub restaurant that we marked down for later attention - having tried out its products....

Here are the bird bits: pix of a Hooded Crow with a very dmanding juvenile yelling at it for food. Frame fillers of Tree Sparrow (I saw one briefly, then the next spuggie to land was a House - for a minute I thought I'd made a silly mistake, but no: both species were around.)

In the evening I finally agreed to undertake the sauna thing - including the naked dip in the lake afterwards - when in Rome....

John

In the evening I finally agreed to undertake the sauna thing - including the naked dip in the lake afterwards - when in Rome....

I don't buy the 'When in Rome...' bit. I'm positively a resident of Rome, but won't catch me partaking in the heathen habits of the locals ;)

The sauna thing is also on my Finnish list, though this was on a December visit and the lake was the Baltic!

Er, in the nicest possible way, idiot :-O

Last edited:
Got your own heathen habits Jos!

We had another lazy local day on 5 July, nothing much to report apart from more pix of the Frankencrane and its normal partner, and some bad light shots of a Red-necked Grebe with three chicks next to a manually cranked chain ferry.

6 July

A second visit to Taru's sister at Parikkala was planned to start at midday, so Maz and I left base early and went walking on the trails at Oronmylly, having established that Siberian Jays are present there year-round and that being our sole remaining chance at that species.

As the literature also mentioned we might see "signs of bear habitation" and a jogger had been bitten by a mother with cubs (all later destroyed, disproportionate response if you ask me but it wasn't my arm) further South, we set off along the track with some trepidation, which in true English fashion we didn't mention to each other till much later.

We saw neither bears nor Siberian Jays, but had a reasonable insect morning with views and pix of Cranberry Blue (tick), Arran Brown (tick) and more Large Wall Browns as well as being inspected by but not getting pix of a huge female Siberian Hawker (much appreciated tick).

Oronmylly looked like a place with lots of potential and when I am back in Finland I will spend a bit more time there.

Back at Parikkala there was a Redstart in the garden and when we all went shopping on foot to the local farm shop a Red Squirrel posed quite adequately but my camera played up and I didn't get a single shot. I had a certain amount of mickey taking about this but later in the evening the camera packed up altogether (see? I couldn't have done better!), and despite close inspection and cleaning couldn't be revived. As a result I was watching Whoopers and Red-necked Grebes from Taru's dad's boat at close range unable to get any pictures - aarrgghh! The following afternoon we had a boat trip booked in search of Saimaa Seals......

7 July

Maz and I ventured into Savonlinna to check out camera shops. We had a simple mission: come back with a Canon DSLR of some kind at any cost. We got 2 hours parking and immediately located a photographic shop with a Canon 400D in the window for 799 Euros. Lets try somewhere else.

Nearly two hours later we had established definitively that this was the only option and returned to the shop, where we discovered that 799 euros was the full price but as the old model it had been discounted to 450. Kinnell, if I'd known that we could have saved a lot of shoe leather and sore feet. I bought it, slipped a CF card in and went back onto the main street to photograph the fire engines and crews still damping down a second-hand shop that had burned down in the early morning.

By the time we got back to base there was just time for a hasty but substantial lunch - I have never been so well fed on holiday, must have put on loads. And I was overweight to start with! Then the four of us were off to Rantasalmi to met our boatman and guide for the afternoon.

More later...

John

Last edited:
I'm going to have a quick rant about "Information" Centres at this point. We did try to get gen on exactly where to look for Saimaa Seals ourselves from the centre in Savonlinna: despite it calling itself a Nature Information Centre it had uninformed staff and the only information was unspecific leaflets. The seals are in Lake Saimaa - well, take a look at a map of Finland sometime and see how big that is.

Failing that we asked for a list of organisations or individuals offering trips to see the seals, reasoning that those who made a livelihood from it would know where the regular haunts and haul-outs were. No dice. All they managed was to find the National Parks website (I found that in January) and the Linnansaari bit listed a few boatmen etc. They wouldn't even print the odd page off for us, so we gave up, went home, did our own research and picked a boatman with a pin - well it worked on the bear front!

I want to be quite clear that like everyone we met they wanted to help, but the tools and knowledge just weren't there.

Rant over.

We managed to find our boatman at a small jetty next to a sort of Finnish Butlins, down the roughest dirt road we had been down (I was generally very impressed with the quality of Finnish dirt roads - they were better than most of Surrey's tarmac ones).

He had a smallish cabin cruiser with a largish engine on the back and plenty of room for the four of us plus him, though I would think its pretty full when carrying his advertised maximum capacity of 12 pax! We made off straight across the bit of the complex maze of Lake Saimaa that we were on, to view the only Osprey nest in Europe that is built on rock rather than in a tree. So we were told, anyway! It was a big structure, occupying an area of about twenty square feet on top of a massive boulder protruding from the lake near a wooded island.

We approached slowly and had great views of the female, though the chicks were still too small to see - I guess Finnish Osprey breeding is later than UK. She came off and flew round, but it was after our closest approach and I don't think it was prompted by us, she neither avoided us nor took undue interest. Got a few snaps, anyway.

We checked out various flat rocky islands suitable for seal haul-outs, and a lot of quiet bays where they might linger, but nothing was working. We saw some more Osprey nests, conventional ones in trees, one occupied, a couple seemingly not. Gradually the number of people in the boat who had claimed a rock as a seal fell until only the boatman/guide had a clean sheet.

We got some good views of Black-throated Divers but in general they were camera shy and the best pix I got were of take-off runs and scuttering across the water without quite bothering to lift into the air.

We had paid for a couple of hours and the guy really did try on our behalf, but the seals just weren't co-operating and we dipped. To reduce our sorrow we had a quick beer in the nearby bar, under the glassy glare of stuffed Eagle Owl and Capercaillie, with piped Finnish traditional music (very reminiscent of Scottish or Irish - hmm) and staff in pseudo-mediaeval garb wandering about.

A rather better dining experience followed in the evening at Savonlinna's brewery restaurant, with Arctic Char and Reindeer fillet on the menu and excellent beers including a 7%ABV porter at the bar. Very much recommended!

John

Last edited:
Great write-ups!

Its good to her about the hairies and the insects as well as the birds - Brown Bear and Wolverine - fantastic!

Cheers

Mike

Cheers for all the comments everybody! If anyone wants details of the company who got us the Wolverine and Brown Bear, PM me and I'll pass it on - I guess current gen on Wolverines is hard to come by, though Brown Bear seems to be well sorted at a number of places.

8 July was overall a quiet local day. We had showers and a belt of rain mid-morning onwards, before which I had found a fledged Pied Flycatcher being fed by its female parent and photographed them.

Mid afternoon the clouds rolled away, the temperature rocketed and I went for a drive intending to check out a couple of forest pools for dragons but found sphagnum bog deterring me from reaching the open water they were patrolling, so opted for chasing butterflies along the road margins and side tracks instead.

This was quite productive. As well as trip ticks of Orange Tip and Black-tailed Skimmer I photographed Silver-studded Blue and Large Wall Brown (again) and ticked Mazarine Blue, a female that let me get a couple of half-decent pix.

Returning to base I spent some time sitting on a rock at one of the two landing places where the family's boats are kept, adding two Green Sandpipers and getting my only semi-decent shot of a summer-plumaged Red-necked Grebe as well as some small Perch in the clear shallow water. Unfortunately I was then dragged kicking and screaming to a social engagement with Taru's brother and his family just as a flock of ten Black-throated Divers in full glory were swimming towards me across the lake. I have to admit I was a bit sulky for the next hour or so. Big kid!

John

9 July

Travelling day - farewell to Taru's parents who had looked after us so well, and on the road to Jyvaskyla and the Finnish Air Museum. Not many birds in consequence, though the Frankencrane and its mate provided pix in sunshine for a change (and I got much better ones in consequence).

On the way there I took quite severe avoiding action to save the life of a Red Squirrel that bounced across the road with a total disregard for passing traffic. That was the wildlife highlight of the day.

The museum didn't of course, have much wildlife interest, though I quite enjoyed a stuffed Flying Squirrel in full glide attitude mounted on the corner of a cabinet with a stuffed skydiver in freefall inside it. I won't bore you with the aviation highlights but for an old spotter like me it was great - funny how plane people don't mind being "spotters" but birders do!

After that we dropped down to Tampere for the night, where we ate in the Plevna brewery pub (food and ale highly recommended) and checked out the bands at Tammerfest. It was raining and not many people were about, so we were able to enjoy Taru's favourite Finnish band of all time from just outside the tent they were performing in, getting beers from the nearby theatre when necessary. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of the band! It was a good night out but the head was a bit thick the next morning....

10 July

The Moominvalley Museum was a great return to childhood in the morning before we had to drive down to Helsinki, pausing on the way to photograph the Finnish "wildlife on road" sign which features a bull Elk. Add that to the Warthog and Kudu from Namibia....

Once at Helsinki we discarded the cars for the last couple of days of the holiday.

This meant no more difficulties about buying petrol, which was the strangest problem we had in Finland. An increasing number of petrol stations are going fully automatic, with pay at pump facilities. The difficulty was that most of them wouldn't recognise our UK credit cards, though we had no difficulty with tills in shops! Just as well we didn't arrrive anywhere with the cars coughing on the last drops of fuel... Several of the pumps did allow pre-paying with banknotes so all we had to do was make sure we carried cash at all times, but it was an odd problem in a generally well set-up country.

John

Had exactly the same issue with petrol stations but as you say not a problem if you stay well supplied with cash.

Really enjoying the report BTW. Bringing back pleasant memories. Just love Finland!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back