• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do the owners of both Zeiss SF and Swarovski EL/NL feel they are uncomfortable for the different color cast? (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

Hello there,

Now I have EL8.5x42 and thinking of getting 8x32 for a weight saver during a long trip. As NL8x32 is a bit too expensive and the EL8x32 has been discontinued, it makes me wonder about the Zeiss SF 8x32.

I notice that the SF has a greenish hue due to their coating. I am wondering if the owners of both Swarovski and Zeiss feel it is annoying/uncomfortable due to different color hue of the two models when switching back and forth? I may use only one at a time (not A/B) but a bit concern about how it would feel to have two binoculars with different color cast for the optics.

Thank you so much,

Passakorn

PS are there any good shops for both Zeiss and Swarovski in Fribourg/Zurich?

A Zeiss SF 8X32 has been my only binocular since December 2020.

At no time have I seen, or been annoyed by any “greenish” cast whatsoever. (or any other color)

I see pure and blinding whites. I have undergone bilateral cataract surgery with implants supposedly containing ultraviolet filtration. From this, I believe that there is absolutely no contribution from my eyes to any off-tint, and I see none from the instrument.

You may, however, be one of those who does see it.

I generally stay out of these “I see it/I don’t” discussions, but I thought that my lens implants might lend a bit more objectivity, compared to eyes with OEM lenses. (which discolor as we age)

Last edited:
Hello there,

Now I have EL8.5x42 and thinking of getting 8x32 for a weight saver during a long trip. As NL8x32 is a bit too expensive and the EL8x32 has been discontinued, it makes me wonder about the Zeiss SF 8x32.

I notice that the SF has a greenish hue due to their coating. I am wondering if the owners of both Swarovski and Zeiss feel it is annoying/uncomfortable due to different color hue of the two models when switching back and forth? I may use only one at a time (not A/B) but a bit concern about how it would feel to have two binoculars with different color cast for the optics.

Thank you so much,

Passakorn

PS are there any good shops for both Zeiss and Swarovski in Fribourg/Zurich?
It’s not annoying and it’s not uncomfortable. I have both the EL and SF 8x32’s, they are both phenomenal , top of the line and best in the world with the NL’s and Noctivids, although no 32 Noctivid yet.

Each has its own personality with the EL being more neutral and the Zeiss having a more perceived warmer color to them. The green that is talked about is not noticeable unless side by side with other binoculars. I’m sure there are a some people might pick it out , but I didn’t notice it until comparing with others. You should try them both out and see what works best for you. For me sometimes I like the SF and sometimes I like the EL.

Paul

I think it's a case of try and see, but I suspect at most the difference might take a minute or two to adjust to if you swap directly from one to another. I don't own any SFs but have used them and they do have a different character in handling, eye box, focusing and edge performance, contrast as well as colour cast compared to the ELs - I won't say one is better than the other, both are clearly top end binoculars, but you may prefer one or the other or be happy swapping back and forth. Don't rule out the EL 8x32 just because it's discontinued - they crop up used very frequently. Whilst to my eyes the Ultravid aren't quite at the same optical level of the EL and SF they're very nicely constructed and still a good binocular with yet another 'character' - might be worth trying as well.

I am wondering if the owners of both Swarovski and Zeiss feel it is annoying/uncomfortable due to different color hue of the two models when switching back and forth?
The answer to this question will be different from user to user, so my answer will necessarily be a personal one:
No!

are there any good shops for both Zeiss and Swarovski in Fribourg/Zurich?
I have bought from many, many shops in Switzerland and prefer one over all the others: Optik Riesen in Toffen (close to Bern), with over 100 binoculars on site,

I‘s a one-man business, so give Mr Riesen a call before visiting, unless you want to order online.

Canip

I just made the switch from EL to SF 8x32 and there are many noticeable differences, whereas going from one swaro to another feels very familiar.

I notice the colour change immediately, less blue/brilliance, greens and yellows are good, skin tones are below leica nikon. To me the colour balance seems best suited to summer or tropics, removing some of the harshness and haze. The swaro seems more suited to colder climates where low and cold lighting transmit better.

The SF biggest strengths are fov, one handed use, uniformity of distortion, contrast.

The EL biggest strengths are brilliance, center sharpness, solid construction and eye relief.

Koch Photo (not Koch Optik) in downtown Zürich typically has stock of all the popular Zeiss and Swaro models.
Yes, Koch Photo is a good optics shop (used to be my main source of binos before I switched to Optik Riesen, which now has the larger stock).

I just made the switch from EL to SF 8x32 and there are many noticeable differences, whereas going from one swaro to another feels very familiar.

I notice the colour change immediately, less blue/brilliance, greens and yellows are good, skin tones are below leica nikon. To me the colour balance seems best suited to summer or tropics, removing some of the harshness and haze. The swaro seems more suited to colder climates where low and cold lighting transmit better.

The SF biggest strengths are fov, one handed use, uniformity of distortion, contrast.

The EL biggest strengths are brilliance, center sharpness, solid construction and eye relief.
Wow well described. I never gave any thought to how each performs in different weather conditions. That could explain somewhat why I seem to like to take my SF when I’m going down to Florida , and we go to these tropical Parks and sanctuary‘s.

Switching between 8x32 SFs and the NLs or SFLs is quite annoying since it repeatedly demonstrates the transmittance and contrast killing green cast of the 8x32 SFs. My dislike of the green cast of the SFs is exacerbated by the fact that I find that I consider them almost perfect in every other way.

Paul, good to hear your SF experience supports my analysis!

Bill, I have an inkling Zeiss is ending MIG in the near ish future. They are giving MIJ better coatings than the premium product. And with Leica no longer using MIG, there is less hesitance now.

I notice that the SF has a greenish hue due to their coating.
Hi,

I think you can answer this question best!
If you like the glass otherwise, take it!
Since the Zeiss FL models I've always seen some green in the view but it doesn't bother me, IMO the three big manufacturers all seem to have a different basic character, Zeiss seems to be a bit dominant on green/yellow.
The change from a Zeiss SF 8x42 to a Swarovski 8.5x42 goes very well, the eyes adjust quickly, it's no big deal.

Andreas

Personally, no. I can tell apart the different colour hues of the top binoculars (mostly), but the present cream of the crop is so close to neutral that the small remaining differences don't matter to me anymore. Like Andreas says, eyes adjust quickly.

My eyeglasses also have a slight but perceptible colour bias, and that does not bother me either. Even changing to my sunglasses is fine, although they have a brown tint and change colour balance considerably.

Switching between 8x32 SFs and the NLs or SFLs is quite annoying since it repeatedly demonstrates the transmittance and contrast killing green cast of the 8x32 SFs. My dislike of the green cast of the SFs is exacerbated by the fact that I find that I consider them almost perfect in every other way.
It could also be your individual perception of that color hue, everybody’s eyes are different and perceive color more or less differently. I find the greenish hue increases contrast, go figure.

I can see a slight difference in the color cast of my recent 8x42 SF's and Swaro 10x56 SLC, the Swaro's are slightly "warmer" but it's inconsequential to me. I would say the SF's have the best contrast of any of the binoculars I've used, that's what jumps out at me, not the colors.

I don't have bad thoughts about the color tone of either one, the colors and markings on birds are vivid and it's a pleasure to use both of them.

There is a user independent source of information about the color cast of a binocular and that is the transmission spectrum: its shape determines if there is a color cast and how serious it might be. That is a completely user independent measure and the large companies use it to determine the color cast/Farbstich of their binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

When I use the term 'colour cast' I mean that the entire view exhibits this colour which may be subtle or a little stronger. Sometimes I have the impression (and would welcome being corrected) that when some members mention a colour cast they simply mean that this colour, if it is present in the scene being viewed, is stronger through the binoculars than when viewed with the naked eye. To me this is not a 'cast' but a colour bias.

What do other members think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back