• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you ignore Leica ? (1 Viewer)

Bob:

I have been considering a newer pocket type of binocular, and was able
to try a 10x25 CL yesterday at Cabela's. They have a little larger eyecup,
but they still do not have the ease of view of the larger 8x30 compact types
that are available. I also had the Leica 10x25 UV in hand, still fussy, and
not for everyday viewing.

I agree the Swarovski 8x30 CL is a very nice small binocular, and is an
excellent traveler.

Jerry

Jerry,

Most of these pocket binoculars have eye cups that are too narrow. The three I have that do not (and they are all wider than the Swaro 8x25 CL-P) are the Kruger (Columbia Sportsware) 8x25 Back Country binocular which Kruger no longer makes. Bushnell 7x26 custom classic and the best of them as far as eye placement goes (it has other issues) the Pentax 9x28. It also has very long 18mm ER and that helps very much. It is the easiest to use compact binocular I have tried.

I think that even the 8x20s could be more comfortable to use with longer ER.

Bob

Too bad Troubador! I wish Stella would make a diabetic-safe beer just for you! ;)

Carbs in the regular beer average 11 grams of carbs per 12-ounce serving and around 145 calories. Low carb beers usually have only 5 grams of carbs per 12-ounce of serving and around 110 calories.

Stella does make a "lite" beer. Some people really like it:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/169/43231/Stella Artois Light

The problem with beer is that no matter how much you lower the carbs by using less malted barely, the alcohol will still make your blood sugar spike because alcohol turns into sugar in the body. The IPA beers that Bob mentioned earlier have a higher alcoholic content. They will give you a buzz quicker, but also get you into a coma quicker.

The only safe beer for diabetics is a low carb non-alcoholic beer, which from the ones I've sampled, taste like skunk pee. The only way to drink them is to hold your nose so you don't experience the skunk aftertaste. I buy a non-alcoholic beer from Holland called Buckler that is tolerable.

The other thing that gets you, is that many people don't drink beer by itself but with some salty snack - pretzels, potato chips (crisps for you on the other side of the pond), corn chips, salted peanuts, nachos, etc. It's the combo of beer and snacks that will push your blood sugar over the edge, and also give you a beer belly. At U.S. bars, they often give free salty snacks to customers so they get thirstier and buy more drinks. It's unsanitary. Along with the snack, you get somebody's slobber. Yuck!

Sorry to hear about the diabetes, Troub. You can still enjoy a long life even if you get the sugar blues. B.B. King had diabetes and he died yesterday at age 89. I missed him last year when he was here, but I saw him perform twice before. My dad is a big fan. I took him to see B.B. when he was here a few years ago. RIP "Blues Boy."

Bin related topic: Does having a beer relax your muscles and allow you to hold your binoculars steadier? Or does it give you the DTs?

Brock

Sorry to hear about the diabetes, Troub. You can still enjoy a long life even if you get the sugar blues. B.B. King had diabetes and he died yesterday at age 89. I missed him last year when he was here, but I saw him perform twice before. My dad is a big fan. I took him to see B.B. when he was here a few years ago. RIP "Blues Boy."

Bin related topic: Does having a beer relax your muscles and allow you to hold your binoculars steadier? Or does it give you the DTs?

Brock

Hi Blues Brother Brock

Thanks for your condolences. My diabetes is not serious and is well controlled at the moment by diet and tablets.

Very sad news about B.B. but my goodness has had a good long innings. He was one of those guitarists that you just needed one note to recognise who it was playing and he was a hero to George Harrison and Eric Clapton as well as me :smoke:.

I never did get into combining bins and beer so can't help you with the last question although I suspect enough of the latter would make you forget where you put the former.

Lee

Leica means you like things light and dainty, that means Coors light
or Heineken.

Jerry

I'm not a huge Leica fan, but even I take offense at the comparison of a top-notch optic to drab commercial lagers like Heineken or shitty piss beer like Coors light! :smoke:

If Leica were a beer, it would be a Belgian trippel trappiste or something like that: steeped in tradition and superior craftmanship, and meant to be enjoyed by real connaisseurs! ;)

I'm not a huge Leica fan, but even I take offense at the comparison of a top-notch optic to drab commercial lagers like Heineken or shitty piss beer like Coors light! :smoke:

If Leica were a beer, it would be a Belgian trippel trappiste or something like that: steeped in tradition and superior craftmanship, and meant to be enjoyed by real connaisseurs! ;)

Sorry Jerry but HN is dead right on this one.

HN I propose Chimay Blue to represent the Leica 'flavour'.

Lee

Coors light is okay when it's 105º f outside and the coors is buried in ice in a galvanized water trough. Also better when other people bought it. Good lawn mower beer, not so much for enjoyment, but great when it's so cold it hurts your throat when you take the first slug.

Or perhaps Leica is more like a German beer. Germany passed a law 500 years ago that allows only specific ingredients in beer making, and that law still stands on the books. So you won't find orange flavored beer in Germany such as Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy, which is a Fruit & Vegetable Beer, because that would be against the law. It sounds German, but it's actually made in Wisconsin, USA.

Leica only changes models once every 15 years or so (not counting incremental changes), assuming it has something in the works that will be introduced within the next two years. Leica introduced the Ultavid series in August 2003 just three years after upgrading the Trinny to the BN (which added scratch resistant coatings and closer focus). Could the introduction of HT glass to the Ultravid be a harbinger of a new model that will incorporate HT glass?

Angela Merkel finds a beer bath refreshing:

Angela im Bier gedunken

She seemed to like it a lot more than President Bush's shoulder massage.

Steigen sie mich, Sie Ruck!

<B>

The best light American beer is from Latrobe, PA. It is Rolling Rock in the returnable 7 ounce green bottles. It is the stand by beer in all the NCO clubs in the American military! These bottles must be kept out of light in a very cold cooler to be at their best. On a very hot day ask for one that is frozen to the coils.

Years ago I read that this Rolling Rock was entered into a beer tasting contest in Germany which it won.

Bob

The best light American beer is from Latrobe, PA. It is Rolling Rock in the returnable 7 ounce green bottles. It is the stand by beer in all the NCO clubs in the American military! These bottles must be kept out of light in a very cold cooler to be at their best. On a very hot day ask for one that is frozen to the coils.

Years ago I read that this Rolling Rock was entered into a beer tasting contest in Germany which it won.

Bob

The German beer testers were probably drunk at the time to choose Rolling Rock over a German beer. I haven't tried Rolling Rock Lite, but I can imagine what it tastes like since in my college dazed and confused, I drank pitchers and pitchers of regular Rolling Rock, which already tasted watered down. In fact, it was the only beer I bought (and then only when I lost the pool game).

Rolling Rock is still the beer of choice among students in the bars in downtown State College, because it's cheap. Not sure what it costs now, but when I was a student, you could buy a whole pitcher for the price of one bottle of imported beer. Unfortunately, a lot of it gets spilled on the floor so when you walk in a basement bar such as The Rathskeller or The Phyrst, your shoes stick to the floor.

I'm not sure what Hermann is on about, beer and binoculars naturally go together like soup and sandwich. ;)

I think he realizes any discussion about which beer is best is superfluous to Germans since they already know they make the best beer and the best optics (if you make that "Germanic" and include Austria).

Well, when Leica finally comes out with a new bin, we can clink our bottles together and celebrate with Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock. B :)

B.B. "Beer Belly" Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back