• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In case you were wondering (Leica hacka) (2 Viewers)

eitanaltman

So I think about binocular eyecups way too much. But then again they touch my face more than most things.

Many binoculars have substandard eyecups for my tastes. But Leica Ultravids, they are the best. Perfect shape with nice taper, but not too narrow... perfect supple smooth rubber.

I have a pair of 8x32 BA now. I like them, but as I’ve opined elsewhere I think the Ultravid is better in most respects, at least those that I care about. One of those is those eyecups! The old Trinnie has these harder, sharper edged eyecups that are approximately the same shape and comfort level as the 15 year old Monarch ATB’s.

I’ve tried the bicycle inner tube thing, and it works, but who wants to ruin that elegant Leica industrial design? And the Ultravid eyecups are just more comfortable in texture and feel.

So while mulling these things, I was inspecting the eyecups and noticed that they seemed to not just be glued on with cheap adhesive, but rather affixed with a small lip that gripped a ridge on the eyecups barrel.

A small prayer and a bit of prying and a few minutes later, voila!

Lo and behold.... The eyecup rubber of the Ultravid 7x42 is a near perfect fit to swap with the original eyecup of the Trinovid BA!

To me this makes for a significant improvement in comfort / ergonomics. I may contact Leica and see if they will sell me an extra pair of UV eyecups so I can play more (and keep the 7x42 UVHD intact)!

(note that the UV eyecups are just a teensy tiny bit looser, so a more permanent change would likely require a bit of adhesive, or else they could pry loose when removing the rainguard)

This makes me wonder now about finding an eyecup that would serve as a “slip cover” on top of the Meostar 8x32 too small eyecups...... hmmm.....

Attachments

• F545EEAE-33F9-45BB-A7E2-1F09C4F864D4.jpeg
    F545EEAE-33F9-45BB-A7E2-1F09C4F864D4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • DA31B10E-FEEB-4E92-97D6-74B389D2D54A.jpeg
    DA31B10E-FEEB-4E92-97D6-74B389D2D54A.jpeg
  • 856255FA-71AE-433E-B579-25E6B94FE1DA.jpeg
    856255FA-71AE-433E-B579-25E6B94FE1DA.jpeg
    926.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 7B094279-F63F-46CD-A90D-A2CA12E513E4.jpeg
    7B094279-F63F-46CD-A90D-A2CA12E513E4.jpeg
So I think about binocular eyecups way too much. But then again they touch my face more than most things.

Many binoculars have substandard eyecups for my tastes. But Leica Ultravids, they are the best. Perfect shape with nice taper, but not too narrow... perfect supple smooth rubber.

I have a pair of 8x32 BA now. I like them, but as I’ve opined elsewhere I think the Ultravid is better in most respects, at least those that I care about. One of those is those eyecups! The old Trinnie has these harder, sharper edged eyecups that are approximately the same shape and comfort level as the 15 year old Monarch ATB’s.

I’ve tried the bicycle inner tube thing, and it works, but who wants to ruin that elegant Leica industrial design? And the Ultravid eyecups are just more comfortable in texture and feel.

So while mulling these things, I was inspecting the eyecups and noticed that they seemed to not just be glued on with cheap adhesive, but rather affixed with a small lip that gripped a ridge on the eyecups barrel.

A small prayer and a bit of prying and a few minutes later, voila!

Lo and behold.... The eyecup rubber of the Ultravid 7x42 is a near perfect fit to swap with the original eyecup of the Trinovid BA!

To me this makes for a significant improvement in comfort / ergonomics. I may contact Leica and see if they will sell me an extra pair of UV eyecups so I can play more (and keep the 7x42 UVHD intact)!

(note that the UV eyecups are just a teensy tiny bit looser, so a more permanent change would likely require a bit of adhesive, or else they could pry loose when removing the rainguard)

This makes me wonder now about finding an eyecup that would serve as a “slip cover” on top of the Meostar 8x32 too small eyecups...... hmmm.....
Hey Eitanaltman,
Can you confirm that the rubber portion of the 7x42 UVs eyecup was undamaged by this operation? And can you confirm that once they had been removed from the 7x42s they were able to be re-installed on the 7x42s again?
-thanks,q

Or maybe mnich wasn't responding to what I had asked at all, and was generally contributing to the thread. I revived this thread from the old-thread graveyard and perhaps I should have just pmd Eitanaltman instead. Anyway, hoping mnich just elaborates a little more.

Hey Eitanaltman,
Can you confirm that the rubber portion of the 7x42 UVs eyecup was undamaged by this operation? And can you confirm that once they had been removed from the 7x42s they were able to be re-installed on the 7x42s again?
-thanks,q
Yes, the rubber portion was undamaged and able to be re-installed on the original 7x42 eyecup barrels. If you are already an owner of a registered Leica UV pair you could probably also contact Leica and request an extra pair, the extras I got were free from a Leica rep at an optics booth.

Yes, the rubber portion was undamaged and able to be re-installed on the original 7x42 eyecup barrels. If you are already an owner of a registered Leica UV pair you could probably also contact Leica and request an extra pair, the extras I got were free from a Leica rep at an optics booth.
Great. Thanks for the info.

Or maybe mnich wasn't responding to what I had asked at all, and was generally contributing to the thread. I revived this thread from the old-thread graveyard and perhaps I should have just pmd Eitanaltman instead. Anyway, hoping mnich just elaborates a little more.
I meant shaping the shell by hand, using files with appropriate grit and fine-grained sandpaper for finishing.
It takes some time, but the effect can be seen in my photos above.
I often have this problem with the eyecups of other binoculars as well, so I have to do this to make them more comfortable to use.
Inne przykłady:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 29
I meant shaping the shell by hand, using files with appropriate grit and fine-grained sandpaper for finishing.
It takes some time, but the effect can be seen in my photos above.
I often have this problem with the eyecups of other binoculars as well, so I have to do this to make them more comfortable to use.
Inne przykłady:
Oh interesting. That sounds like a resourceful solution to your problems. Also, nice work. Those are all done well.

Great. Thanks for the info.
Leica in London supplied me on both two occasions that i contacted them with small accessories for my 8x50UVHD Plus that I bought second hand from Ace Optics. There was no charge on either occasion (I don't know if that is because they had on record that I had bought new 32s and 42s previously from the same dealer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back