• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you use objective covers? (2 Viewers)

sillyak

Reading through these forums it seems like most use and have strong opinions on what makes a good objective cover.

Am I in the minority in that I don't see the need for objective covers at all?

To me they just get in the way, flopping around. Or you put your binos up to see a bird and there is nothing but black because you forgot to remove them. Or your fumbling to remove them while the target flys away.

For transport or storage I put them in the case. I always carry my binos bandolier style, so if going through thick brush I slide them around so they are against my back.

I don't find the objectives get soiled often.

I just did a thorough cleaning and there are no scratches on the objectives of my Meoptas after having them 7 years.

What's your take?

Last edited:
On the NL 8x32, the objective covers work so easily and smoothly, I see no reason not to use them. They are very easy to take off and put back on, and you do get that extra protection from dust and any obstacles you might hit. If the objective covers are hard to uninstall and reinstall, I can see not even using them. The Canon IS-L 10x42 objective covers are a PIA to reinstall, for example. I don't use any kind of objective covers on my pocket binocular, though I do use the supplied rain guard. It kind of depends on how inset your objectives are also. If they are deeply inset, you can probably get by without them.

Am I in the minority in that I don't see the need for objective covers at all?
No, quite the reverse, even here. I can't think when I last saw anyone's binocular dangling OCs. Possibly someone can mention special conditions where they make sense?

Im always use objective covers when taking the binoculars outside. Even inside my house i keep them on. Only with my Zeiss 15x60 the eyecups are off while standing at my desk But when mounted on a tripod i put them on when not using them.

Depends on the bino. My current favourite is the Fujinon HC 8x42 which has objective covers that can't be tethered to the bino so I don't use them. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I never install objective covers. While walking along and not using the binos which are hanging from my neck, the objectives are pointing downwards and apart from unusual wind/sand conditions they don't get dust or rain on them, so I see no need for objective covers. However, some review binos do come with objective covers already fitted and this being the case I do not remove them as it is the owner's choice to protect the objectives in this way.

I do use objective covers.

Sometimes, this makes sense. For example, my most-used bins (Zeiss 8x32 FLs) are often stuffed into compartments of camera and/or laptop bags - which sometimes might contain something which could scratch a coating or lens. So a cover seems prudent.

I use them on other bins too, though. Perhaps more through habit than need. Who knows? They don’t cause me much bother or harm..

…Mike

I use the band-on covers that came with my ELs and SLCs because I don't find them a nuisance and rarely use bags. I haven't sought out objective covers for my Habicht's or CLs though...

I figured I like my binos clean while using. No dangling things, no covers, headrests, whatsoever. No rainguard (I leave them at home or put it in my pocket, when there is no rain).

Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't, depends if I remember to take them off before I head out! I prefer putting all the covers on when I put the bins back in their cases.

Will

Last edited:
I've recently stopped using them. Normally, I'd want to do everything I can to protect the bins from damage and wear, but it absolutely depends on how usable the covers are on the individual model.

I don't use them in the field for the reasons OP stated. Too finnicky to remove when trying to spot a bird quickly. I mainly use them for storing in a bag or case, just to protect from anything else coming into contact with the lens while stored inside.

On 2 Swaros, yes. On 2 Zeiss, no. The attachment system of Swaro makes it dead easy to use them, so I leave them on an do use them. When I get to the days birding spot I flip em down and let em dangle, no fuss, no muss. The extra measure of protection between deployment is appreciated. I get Rain, snow, sweat and spit come from above so ocular covers are waay more useful. I clean ocular lens... I dont know, maybe 5 to 1 re cleaning objectives. But theres always a fear with no protection of them falling against something. Cheap insurance. Neither of my 2 Zeiss, came with objective covers. So far, I haven't needed.

I prefer having covers and mainly use (close) them while I'm driving between birding locations or during breaks. Most supplied cases are rather poor, overdone by Swaro, underdone by Zeiss. Although the FL cases weren't too bad.

Whether they are actually installed depends on the bins. I've accidentally torn off 2 sets on the 8x42 NLs and have given up. The ones I have for 8 & 10x32NLs are still good. I like the ones for the SFLs. The older EL and FL covers are thicker and heavier than the ones on the NLs and SFLs, and stiff breezes would vibrate the bins. The new versions on the NLs and SFLs aren't affected by wind.

I would prefer one piece obj. covers that can be left in the car or put in a pocket.

I've always used them on every binocular I have owned except for a Kunming BA8 10x50 and a Bushnell Custom Compact Elite 7x26. The Kunming had tethered objective covers that I cut off for some reason and the Custom Compact had no covers for the objectives , I don't think any reverse porro has objective covers . The tethered caps on my Nikon MHG are always used and they work well for me even though many people seem to not like them or complain about them popping off all the time .

I would prefer one piece obj. covers that can be left in the car or put in a pocket.

Bill,

For any given bin you might find a one piece rainguard that would fit the objectives. I recently found a rainguard in my collection of unused accessories that perfectly fit a friend and fellow BF member's immaculate Leitz 7x35. He kindly let me use it for a month and expressed the same wish for a one piece objective cover for storage/transportation.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back