• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you use objective covers? (1 Viewer)

Having said that, my brother in law, who is a fairly wealthy chap, is happy to leave his £5,500 Nikon D5x camera, with £13,0000 lens attached, where the kids knock it over, or on the edge of a table etc.
It is filthy, covered in dust, finger prints and dirt on the lenses, never has a lens cap on, and last year he spilt a cup of coffee over it:oops::oops::oops:.
It's just a tool to do a job... albeit an expensive one... as far as he's concerned.
But he's rich enough, and not OCD enough to bother him.... go figure🫤

Same here. And when my binoculars are being used for stargazing the objective covers are also always on when not actually being looked through. Dew can be in issue sometimes and if Im switching binoculars or letting them dangle from my neck for a few minutes I use the covers.

All my binoculars have objective covers attached to them, all tethered. Either the original ones (e.g. for Ultravid 8x32 or FL 7x42) or third-party ones from Opticron.
That is also because I often carry my binoculars around my neck or bandolier style while cycling, without bag. In that case, there is more risk for dust or gravel reaching the objective lenses, or for the binoculars to e.g. ‘hit’ e.g. the bike or so (never happened, but almost did more than once).

I realize I should have mentioned in #4 that my non-use relies on having a protective case for transportation. Cheap binoculars (or cheapened, like EL now) that only come with a thin bag would require use of objective covers, at least until some aftermarket case was found. (Camera lens manufacturers get away with that, but only because a preferred carry solution for multiple lenses is assumed.)

I always have obiective covers and rain/salivaguard on my binoculars when using trekking poles and taking some wood for the stove in these calamitous times of 'The Day Before'.

Attachments

• 20230201_172632.jpg
    20230201_172632.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230201_162536.jpg
    20230201_162536.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230201_163136.jpg
    20230201_163136.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 17
I use them. When I go birding I carry a backpack (water, extra layers of clothing, etc). I find binocular cases to be unwieldy (large, etc), so I typically just put the binoculars in the backpack with ocular and objective covers on.

I also use them when biking, to prevent pebbles or dirt thrown from bike wheels from hitting the lenses.
And when hiking, it's very convenient to have covers to avoid dust (e.g., I am birding, and a Jeep drives by generating a cloud of dust).

I don't find a big need for cases instead. I almost always have a backpack when outdoors, I don't want also to bother with a binocular case.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back