• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does leucism affect the strength of a birds feathers? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
A couple months back, I was observing the carrion crows which frequent my school's campus, and I watched one crow without any leucism fly up into a tall conifer. Soon after a second bird flew after it and this crow in particular had some brown mixed in with the black and the middle of the wings were white. What was interesting was that the first bird effortlessly glided up to the tree whilst the one with a loss of pigment and slight leucism flapped constantly to get onto the branch. So my question is, does leucism affect a birds ability to fly correctly?

Many thanks,
Ev

Melanin is known to make feathers stronger and more resistant to abrasion, hence the reason quoted for many species (such as many gulls) having dark wingtips. Conversely, lack of normal pigment in albinism or leucism would result in weaker, more abraded feathers and hence flying being more difficult. Obviously this is a major oversimplification, over evolutionary time various species have evolved strong white feathers.

Intriguing, could that be why gulls circle on thermals so much, because their wings are a bit weaker than most birds? Or is it normal that they circle often?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back