• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does the Zeiss 3x12B tripler work on the Habicht 10x40 W GA ? (2 Viewers)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hey,

I've seen people remark on here that the Zeiss extender which is intended for the Victory binos happen to work on other non-zeiss binos and even spotting scopes.

My question is, does anyone by chance happen to have both and know if the zeiss extender works on the 10x40 GA Habicht?

Is there an eyepiece size range the extender works best on?

Also I guess it's worth asking would 30x with a 40mm objective on the Habicht be abysmally dim? They already have tight ER so things could only get tigher?

Thanks for any and all comments.

With the Victory adapter it fits, but is a little loose on the green GA eyecup. It fits well, even without the adapter, into the black eyecup for the leatherette version. There are many other DIY adapter possibilities. I've used it on the NLs and Nikon SEs and EIIs.

I would not call the result abysmally dim. You can adjust the magnification from about 28x to about 38x by changing the focus on the tripler. ER and AFOV will be determined by the Tripler, not the binocular it's attached to. ER is about 19mm from the eyelens glass, 15mm from the rolled down eyecup rim. AFOV is quite narrow, about 38º.

Last edited:
I too own the 3x12 Zeiss monocular and while it is a delighful little instrument for window shopping, museums or a close look at insects (ca. 20 cm close focus), I think its purchase as a booster at current prices (€490 here) would be hard to justify.

Although there are several adapters dimensioned for various Zeiss binoculars, it's difficult to fix it securely to other eyecups, and bear in mind that if you are intending to use it in the field with the 10x40 you are going to need a good support, tripod rather than monopod.
The resulting exit pupil of 1,3 mm is the lower limit of what is comfortable for daylight viewing, making it a poor alternative to a scope.

I know that Henry has used his to conduct resolution measurements using a 1951 USAF glass slide, but my attempts failed miserably.
When I bought mine I only had a 65 mm Swarovski scope with fixed 30x magnification and was able to pad out the adapter with tape for a secure fit in the eyepiece. It never got much use in the field but I once got an excellent view of Jupiter at 90x despite all that glass, probably due to good seeing that night.

John

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, it's expensive even if i could find it discount. Around potentially $300 here.

It's lack of universal comptiablility does make me pause. I already have a monocular so this was more for the booster reasons as you state.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back