• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dolphin species, Gulf of Oman 21st October 2011 (1 Viewer)

vernon

It's a bit of a long shot I know but I just wonder if it is possible to identify this Dolphin species from its dorsal fin shape. I saw it from a boat, just off the coast of Muscat in October 2011. I have attached 2 sets of sequential frame grabs from the shaky video I filmed in the hope that they might be sufficient despite the poor image quality.
Many thanks to anyone who can advise

Vernon

Attachments

• dolphin 1.jpg
    dolphin 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • dolphin 2.jpg
    dolphin 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
I was thinking that the animals aren't exactly side on and a tall Bottlenose fin can't be ruled out. The excessive pointyness tends to support that idea.

It's certainly not too tall for Risso's, though, Risso's has proportionately one of the tallest dorsals going.

John

I think the fin shape excludes Risso's in my experience. I have seen occasional Bottle Nose with a similar shape, particularly at certain angles but it needs to borne in mind that this is also in the possible range of Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin. I'm not familiar with that species but the animal in the photo looks very dark which may exclude it, as its usually a lighter grey.
Also, without a size reference, the colour and fin shape also means considering Pan-tropical Spotted Dolphin.
Sorry! 😬

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back