• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Donana trip (1 Viewer)

graeme782

Not really a trip report, more a recommendation and a thankyou.

I've just come back from a five day trip to the Donana region of Spain with another BF'er, Allen, and what a top five days it was. Initially all we had to go on in the way of site guides and info was 'Finding birds in southern Spain' from Birdguides. I don't know what all the others in this series are like but this one was well out of date and i certainly wouldn't recommend it. I then contacted John Butler from Donana birdtours in the hope of prehaps booking a day with him. He was fully booked for the period and i guess you might expect that was where the contact ended but not a bit of it. John couldn't do enough to help. Not only did he book our accomodation but he went well out of his way to send a couple of site guides/reports from his forthcoming book, more than enough to keep us busy for the five days. I must say that the information was superb. As an example, John had mentioned a good site for Red-necked Nightjar and stated that they sometimes sat on the metalled track to get the warmth from it. We went to the site and could hear the birds but, by now, it was pitch black and we could see nothing. We then had a drive further along the road and, sure enough as promised, was a Red-necked Nightjar sat fifteen feet infront of us. It even sat there patiently whilst we photographed it. Unbelievable. The rest of the break followed a similar trend and we saw most of the stuff we'd expected to see, and some we hadn't, in the places John had recommended.
He quite obviously knows the place very well and, although i wasn't able to go on a guided tour with him, if the info he provided is anything to go by, i'm sure the tours are superb. I'm looking forward to his book being published and expect it to be in a similar vein to the Muddeman book on Extremadura which i've used and is also excellent.

Thanks again John. B :)

Cheers

Graeme.

Hi Graeme

Sorry you found the "Finding Birds in Southern Spain" book to be out of date. The books haven't been reprinted in a while, but we do devote an area of our website to updates on this series - see http://www.birdguides.com/findingbirdsin

There isn't currently an update for the Southern Spain book, but feel free to email us any specific updates and we'll create a page.

Regards

Dave Dunford
Webmaster, BirdGuides

Glad you had a good trip Graeme - all the more so, since I'm going myself week after next!!

Would be interested in seeing the pics of Nightjar if you had intended posting them...

Our John is a top bloke in every sense. He has helped me out in the past and has also booked accomodation for me. Thankfully I had the chance to meet him at a bar in Villamanrique (where he lives) for a drink. He is good company and would help anyone unreservedly (as you have found out).

Considering he makes his living from Birdtours around Donana you would think that he would keep the information close to his chest if you were not a customer of his. Not a bit of it as he freely gives information to those that want it.

John

Here's one of the pics of the Red-necked Nightjar. Hope it's attached, and the right size, as i've never submitted a photo before. If anyone's interested it was digiscoped with a Swaro 65 and a Contax SL300.

Attachments

• Red-necked Nightjar 2.jpg
    Red-necked Nightjar 2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 178
Ruby said:
Yes. It attached fine Graeme - cracking bird and picture.....Thanks

Yes it was a superb bird which provided amazing views. The most we'd been hoping for was a fly by of some sort so to see one this confiding was a huge bonus.

I don't know whether you've been before but it really is a fantastic place, very scenic, unspoiled and full of birds. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

All the best

Graeme.

graeme782 said:
Yes it was a superb bird which provided amazing views. The most we'd been hoping for was a fly by of some sort so to see one this confiding was a huge bonus.

I don't know whether you've been before but it really is a fantastic place, very scenic, unspoiled and full of birds. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

All the best

Graeme.

I have been 7 times now and never tire of the place. I would love to go again this year if possible. Strangely enough the R N Nightjar is one of very few birds I have yet to come to grips with in Donana. I have seen them in Portugal and the Kutock - Kutock call is awesome when you hear them at the dead of night.

John

Reader said:
I have been 7 times now and never tire of the place. I would love to go again this year if possible. Strangely enough the R N Nightjar is one of very few birds I have yet to come to grips with in Donana. I have seen them in Portugal and the Kutock - Kutock call is awesome when you hear them at the dead of night.

John

It's a very eerie sound, especially in the pitch black and it's quite difficult sometimes to pin down where the bird is.

I'm sure i'll go again in the near future but i don't know whether i'll get there as many times as you've done. I'm certainly quite envious.

I don't know what others think, maybe it's just me, but whenever i come back from a birding trip i always find it a little difficult to get the enthusiasm to go down the local patch again. It's a reasonably safe bet that those Black-shouldered Kites, Booted Eagles and Marbled Ducks are going to be replaced by Wood Pigeons, Crows and Mallard. Not exactly an altogether enticing prospect.

Graeme.

graeme782 said:
Not really a trip report, more a recommendation and a thankyou.

I've just come back from a five day trip to the Donana region of Spain with another BF'er, Allen, and what a top five days it was. Initially all we had to go on in the way of site guides and info was 'Finding birds in southern Spain' from Birdguides. I don't know what all the others in this series are like but this one was well out of date and i certainly wouldn't recommend it. I contacted John Butler from Donana birdtours in the hope of prehaps booking a day with him. He was fully booked for the period and i guess you might expect that was where the contact ended but not a bit of it. John couldn't do enough to help. Not only did he book our accomodation but he went well out of his way to send a couple of site guides/reports from his forthcoming book, more than enough to keep us busy for the five days. I must say that the information was superb. As an example, John had mentioned a good site for Red-necked Nightjar and stated that they sometimes sat on the metalled track to get the warmth from it. We went to the site and could hear the birds but, by now, it was pitch black and we could see nothing. We then had a drive further along the road and, sure enough as promised, was a Red-necked Nightjar sat fifteen feet infront of us. It even sat there patiently whilst we photographed it. Unbelievable. The rest of the break followed a similar trend and we saw most of the stuff we'd expected to see, and some we hadn't, in the places John had recommended.
He quite obviously knows the place very well and, although i wasn't able to go on a guided tour with him, if the info he provided is anything to go by, i'm sure the tours are superb. I'm looking forward to his book being published and expect it to be in a similar vein to the Muddeman book on Extremadura which i've used and is also excellent.
Thanks again John. B :)
Cheers
Graeme.

Hi Graeme.

Thank you for the favourable comments. As you know, all of the information I e-mailed to you was from my forthcoming book "The Hidden Doñana" and even my publisher has not seen it yet. In fact, you were the first to see that information and you were a sort of "guinnea pig" to see if the directions, etc. worked with a real birder. I'm pleased to hear that it passed the test and that you found all of the sites ok. I now feel confident that everybody will be able to reach all of the 50 or so sites that will be contained within the book.
I have another three weeks of intensive bird tours and then I have a slack period from mid-June to early September. Hopefully, the finishing touches will be made and the book sent to the publisher by early August. I will let you know the release date.
I would be pleased to include your photo of the Red-necked Nightjar in the book (with credits, etc. of course) under the appropriate site that I directed you to.
Thanks for maintaining the confidentiality of the info I sent you.

Hi Reader.
Thanks for the kind words. Let me know when you are coming over again. It would be good to meet again and I can give you any up-to-date info for any of the species you want to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back