• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Not only did I hear two Cuckoos this morning, but I actually saw one of them. First time I've seen one for years, although I've heard them most years recently.

At least two med gulls in the pig fields at tarrant rushden today.
Not much worth reporting at longham this evening but a pleasant walk. Chris

Morden Bog

Massive increase in Dragonflies on the wing around the Decoy Pond tempted 3 Hobbies down to hunt together, occasionally they got in each others way and got a bit tetchy. Also saw the pair of Redstart again, Woodlarks and a couple of Dartford Warbler family parties.

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 52
  • dw2.jpg
    dw2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 47
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 49
  • wlark.jpg
    wlark.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
Longham lakes

Two common terns were today's highlight and a cheeky fox near the pumping station. Water is very high and rising now - probably too high for all the tufted duck nest on the island and the banks sadly. Suspect we won't see as many young as last year.
Chris

Longham

Single common tern and a hybrid tufted duck /pochard at the lake this evening. Very silver on back. Nice looking thing. Too far for a decent photo. Maybe other people will see it too.
Chris

phew!!! i finally found some summering Turtle Doves in (East)Dorset yesterday. i saw one & had 3 purring away in a quiet place off the beaten track.... you wouldnt believe how much they made my day...

phew!!! i finally found some summering Turtle Doves in (East)Dorset yesterday. i saw one & had 3 purring away in a quiet place off the beaten track.... you wouldnt believe how much they made my day...

That's great news!! Is that up by Martin Down/Cranborne area?

stormy weather

Two storm petrels showing well (well, better that they usually do from land!) at Chesil Cove at lunchtime today.
Chris

Last edited:
Longham lakes

About 300 swifts feeding over the lakes this evening, but not much else to get excited about. Two buzzards. One very big dead carp on the banks of the small lake. Picture to follow.
Chris

Glad that you mentioned the Swifts, managed to get a few shots when we went up.
Heres the link - http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzTUH75
Anyone seen Red Kites lately? We've been hoping there would have been a few with the warm weather a few weeks back. All we saw were Buzzards but heard some were spotted.

Glad that you mentioned the Swifts, managed to get a few shots when we went up.
Heres the link - http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzTUH75
Anyone seen Red Kites lately? We've been hoping there would have been a few with the warm weather a few weeks back. All we saw were Buzzards but heard some were spotted.

Red Kites ! theyre about, although highly mobile and seem to wander great distances.
i saw 7 at knowlton church a couple of weeks ago. 5 drifted south west, one north east, and one stayed on site... before that, id only ever seen one in Dorset....

Red Kite's

Had a treat today, working over the border just into Wiltshire in the village of Hindon, , a brilliant acrobatic display from a pair of red Kite all morning, until the rain came. Could it be a nesting pair?

Went Jarring on Morden Bog this evening, heard plenty of churring birds but didn't get any views. Great views of the Hobbies catching Dragonflies over the heathland, at one stage 7 birds in view. Also a calling Tawny Owl on the way back to the car. Nightjar brings my Yearlist to 174 thats 3 more than last years total at year end!!!!

Ian

You count them if you've only heard and not seen then do you?;)

I only tick if I see. :scribe:

Always record heard birds as well as seen for Birdtrack, so 2 birds last night only heard were Nightjar and Tawny Owl.

For the year 2 birds on the list were only heard, Nightjar and Quail.

It's all about giving as much info as poss to the BTOo:D

Ian
P.s. I take my Yearlist figure from Birdtrack hence it includes the all birds.;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back