• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Durlston

Durlston this morning, saw the Black Redstart family at Tilly Whim. Did a Seawatch for about an hour and counted 21 Gannet and 8 Manx Shearwaters , Commic Terns and a party of 19 Sandwich Tern.

Attachments

• durl1.jpg
    durl1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 52
  • durl2.jpg
    durl2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 51
  • durl3.jpg
    durl3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 45
This Evening

Went to Wyke Down this evening, not much happening Lapwing and Corn Bunting about the best. Nipped across the border to Martindown, heard 1 Quail calling , saw Grey and RL Partridge and Corn Bunting and plenty of Yellowhammer. Was hoping for Little Owl but still needed for the Yearlist. Anybody know of any reliable local sites other than the Portland quarry birds.

Attachments

• yell6.jpg
    yell6.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 49
  • yell7.jpg
    yell7.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 59
Hi Folks

I currently live in Aberdeenshire but I'm planning a visit to Bristol to see my family and whilst there I really want to catchup with Nightjars. Can anybody please give me some good sites to try and see this bird. Im comming down to Bristol the first week in August so I hope they are still here. I did read they are in the UK until September, not sure if this info is correct and applies to the Dorset area. Any help would be really appreciated.

Dave

Hi Folks

I currently live in Aberdeenshire but I'm planning a visit to Bristol to see my family and whilst there I really want to catchup with Nightjars. Can anybody please give me some good sites to try and see this bird. Im comming down to Bristol the first week in August so I hope they are still here. I did read they are in the UK until September, not sure if this info is correct and applies to the Dorset area. Any help would be really appreciated.

Dave

Bristol's quite a long way from Dorset. I'm sure there are nearer nightjars around Bristol, but I don't know where.

Hi Folks

Dave

Hi Dave

When I lived in Somerset, near Taunton, I regularly saw Nightjars on the Quantocks and Blackdowns. They would be about a 45min journey down the M5 to get to the area. They must have been on the Mendips as well although I spent most of my time in that area around Chew Valley Reservoir. Check in Somerset bird reports or check out their forum? Good hunting, they are fabulous birds.

Ray

Was hoping for Little Owl but still needed for the Yearlist. Anybody know of any reliable local sites other than the Portland quarry birds.

I frequently see a pair that were obviously breeding about half way along the road from Wimborne St. Giles to Wyke Down. They frequented the area near some old barns on the North side of the road. Would add that I haven't looked this year but worth a go?

Ray

I frequently see a pair that were obviously breeding about half way along the road from Wimborne St. Giles to Wyke Down. They frequented the area near some old barns on the North side of the road. Would add that I haven't looked this year but worth a go?

Ray

Thanks Ray, I will have a look next time I'm in the area.

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ray.

I'll take your advice and check in the Somerset bird reports to see if it can shed any light on this. I'll let you know how I get on and if i see this bird;-)

Dave

Thanks for the reply Ray.

I'll take your advice and check in the Somerset bird reports to see if it can shed any light on this. I'll let you know how I get on and if i see this bird;-)

Dave

This is all from memory, but if you go to the Somerset Ornithological Society's web site and to the Bird News page. They had an evening meeting a couple of weeks or so ago at (I think) Stock Hill on the Mendips and if you scroll back through the postings there's an account of the meeting. They saw Nightjars.

i know its over the border, but i relocated the ibsley marsh warbler this afternoon. i found it on the somerley estate when i was out fishing. it gave great views and was regularly singing with all the usual mimicry associated with this species, inc blue tit and chaffinch.... ill go back tomo aft weather permitting and try and get some photos...

swallows

Strange thing happening in our stables, swallows feeding young, nothing strange there , but there are three of them feeding young. ??;)

Hello, I'm going to be in dorset in a month or so on holiday, don't know where yet though! I know its a quiet time of year for birding but as anyone got any advice on areas and species? Where i stay could depend on the birding, i'm willing to travel up to a hour .

Morden Buzzard

Regular readers of the Dorset thread may remember me querying a Buzzard I'd seen at Morden with what appeared to be Jessies. I saw the Buzzard in the same area twice within a Month with the "Jessies". Well the mystery would appear to be solved when today at exactly the same spot I saw a Buzzard with "Jessies" . However today I was much closer and the Jessies were actually a Snake, so there must be a expert Sanke catching Buzzard in the area.

It interestingly gained alot of height with the snake and then entered a fast stoop to below the tree line where it was lost to sight.

Attachments

• buzzsnake.jpg
    buzzsnake.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 57
  • buzzsnake1.jpg
    buzzsnake1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 54
  • buzzsnake2.jpg
    buzzsnake2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Some great photo's there.
Colleague of mine got some photos of a Buzzard at Morden Bog the other day, I'll get him to post them up later, fantastic shots! Poor thing was being mobbed by crows.

(EDIT) - Turns out it was just a normal buzzard, probably the same one you saw!

Last edited:
Colleague of mine got some photos of a Honey Buzzard at Morden Bog the other day, I'll get him to post them up later, fantastic shots! Poor thing was being mobbed by crows.[/QUOTE]

Talking of mobbed Buzzards, heres a shot of 1 yesterday at MB being mobbed, unfortunately not a Honey Buzzard.

Attachments

• attack.jpg
    attack.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 87
Middlebeare

Middlebeare this morning, tide out at hide so not alot about with the highlight a Spoonbill flying over, good selection of the commoner birds on the walk to and from the hide.

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 75
  • gsw.jpg
    gsw.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 53
  • gsw1.jpg
    gsw1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 64
  • deer.jpg
    deer.jpg