• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Holes Bay

6 Spoonbill this morning, the hybrid/Cape Shelduck was on the bay outside the railway line as were a pair of Goldeneye. Also a Buzzard was remarkably unconcerned on roadside light.

Attachments

• sxspoon4.jpg
    sxspoon4.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 41
  • sxspoon5.jpg
    sxspoon5.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 36
  • sxbuzz.jpg
    sxbuzz.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 46
  • sxbuzz1.jpg
    sxbuzz1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 50
Holes Bay

High tide this morning, but still 4 Spoonbill present all resting on the shoreline of Pergins Island. Also 1 Bar-Tailed Godwit and the female Goldeneye, 130 Avocet and 8 Pintail. The 2 Barnacle Geese have returned to the shoreline off of Upton CP.

Attachments

• sxspoon6.jpg
    sxspoon6.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 47
  • sxgoldeneye1.jpg
    sxgoldeneye1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 38
  • sxbarnacle.jpg
    sxbarnacle.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 34
  • sxbarnacle1.jpg
    sxbarnacle1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 41
Pooleparrot
What's the feeling on the barnacles? Feral or genuine birds?
Chris

Chris
No concensus as yet, they were around UCP about a month ago with the Canada's but I haven't heard of them being reported from any other sites. I suppose the probability is pointing towards feral birds but you never know. If anybody has any other ideas or has seen these 2 birds elsewhere it would be good to know.

Ian

Morden

Only saw the Shrike fo 5 minutes at the start of this mornings visit, couldn't relocate for the remaining 3 hours.Other interest was a Peregrine mobbing a Buzzard, a good increase in ducks on MPL and a total of 10 Dartford Warblers.

Attachments

• sxdart.jpg
    sxdart.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 46
  • sxdart1.jpg
    sxdart1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 48
Middlebere/Holes Bay

Middlebere turned up a surprise this morning when just after watching a ringtail fly past the hide a Great Grey Shrike appeared from nowhere and tried to take a pipit, it was unsuccessful and flew off behind the hide. This was presumably the bird that has been around Coombe Heath over the last couple of weeks. There were 5 flyby's by Ringtails(same bird?) and 1 Male Hen Harrier in 3 hours, also a single Merlin and plenty of Avocet.

Holes Bay this aftenoon , there were 13 Spoonbill.

Attachments

• sxHH.jpg
    sxHH.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 50
  • sxstonechat1.jpg
    sxstonechat1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 56
Chris
No concensus as yet, they were around UCP about a month ago with the Canada's but I haven't heard of them being reported from any other sites. I suppose the probability is pointing towards feral birds but you never know. If anybody has any other ideas or has seen these 2 birds elsewhere it would be good to know.

Ian

Take a look on Abbotsbury posting for this forum on 30 November when 2 Barnacle joined their Canada Geese.

Ray

Take a look on Abbotsbury posting for this forum on 30 November when 2 Barnacle joined their Canada Geese.

Ray

Yes 2 Barnacles arrived at Abbotsbury on 30 November and were last seen on the 4 December. They mostly associated with the Canadas but were also often on their own. They were fairly wary and I kinda assumed they were the vanguard of the 50+ flock that has visited the West Fleet in the last few winters that are very wary and are assumed by several observers, I believe, to be of wild origin but who knows?

Steve.

Middlebere

Back to Middlebere again this morning, the Ringtail was around again this morning and at one point sat up on one of the posts infront of the hide. No sign of the Male whilst I was there.

Attachments

• sxhh1.jpg
    sxhh1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 66
  • sxhh2.jpg
    sxhh2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 78
  • sxhh4.jpg
    sxhh4.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 69
  • sxhh5.jpg
    sxhh5.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 71
Yes 2 Barnacles arrived at Abbotsbury on 30 November and were last seen on the 4 December. They mostly associated with the Canadas but were also often on their own. They were fairly wary and I kinda assumed they were the vanguard of the 50+ flock that has visited the West Fleet in the last few winters that are very wary and are assumed by several observers, I believe, to be of wild origin but who knows?

Steve.

As a postscript four unaccompanied Barnacle Geese (ie not with Canadas), of unknown origin, flew east over The Swannery this morning.

Also at The Swannery this morning were the three Long-tailed Ducks and the nine Scaup still.

Steve.

Longham lakes lunchtime

Pair of bullfinches along Green Lane, and both fieldfare and redwing, plus mistle thrush on the horse paddocks. Kingfisher perched near the "ghost" by visitor centre. Green woodpecker showing well along causeway.
Water level even higher than last visit.
Chris

PS Reports of 14 waxwings in Tesco car park on Castle Lane, Bournemouth

HI Chris

coming back from Kenya tomorrow . Hope to see my first Waxwings . Have there been many recorded in Dorset ?

we had David Lindo here in November and he recorded 270 species in 5 days in and around Nairobi

Mike D

Pair of bullfinches along Green Lane, and both fieldfare and redwing, plus mistle thrush on the horse paddocks. Kingfisher perched near the "ghost" by visitor centre. Green woodpecker showing well along causeway.
Water level even higher than last visit.
Chris

PS Reports of 14 waxwings in Tesco car park on Castle Lane, Bournemouth

HI Chris

coming back from Kenya tomorrow . Hope to see my first Waxwings . Have there been many recorded in Dorset ?

we had David Lindo here in November and he recorded 270 species in 5 days in and around Nairobi

Mike D

Mike
Hardly any waxwings here so far. The Wednesday Tesco flock was the biggest so far.
Chris

Mammal tick at longham lakes

Weasel showing well on the northern path this afternoon. First time I've seen it there. Chris

I had a great birdwatch around Ferrybridge and Portland Harbour yesterday:

The snow bunting reappeared on the bridge at Ferrybridge and allowed great views of less than three feet! Nearby, there was a water pipit feeding and a short-eared owl appeared being mobbed by gulls and corvids. In the harbour, there were about 10 black-necked grebe, two-three great northern diver and best of all a pair of velvet scoter (my first in Dorset). There was also a black redstart at Osprey Quay. Not a bad morning!

Middlebere

Middlebere this morning on a rising tide, 300+ Avocet, 1 Merlin, 1 Peregrine, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard. Just before I left hide a Ringtail flew by.

Bittern at Hengistbury Head this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_9280 b 640.jpg
    IMG_9280 b 640.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9287 b 640.jpg
    IMG_9287 b 640.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back