• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (3 Viewers)

Nice shots of the Buzzard mate, I managed to capture a Sparrow Hawk being attacked on my last visit. The two birds emerged out of the trees and the Sparrow Hawk soon got away. I only just managed to get a photograph!

Cheers, Nice shot of the Sparrowhawk! :t: never been able to photograph them in the forest only ever heard them

Sparrowhawk about today, fair number of Nuthatches around with a Dipper exercising his wings doing up and down the brook, Best pic of the the morning attached of some Porcelain Mushrooms

Attachments

• 10908834134_17e99f6268_z.jpg
    10908834134_17e99f6268_z.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 51
Went for a stroll down Dowles this Saturday.
Fairly quiet on the whole but had a couple of Willow Tits down by Knowles Mill and a good number of Fieldfare interspersed with redwings and blackbirds overhead.

Went for a stroll down Dowles this Saturday.
Fairly quiet on the whole but had a couple of Willow Tits down by Knowles Mill and a good number of Fieldfare interspersed with redwings and blackbirds overhead.

Are you sure they were Willow Tits? They are very unusual in the area now and considered extinct! Marsh is much more likely, but great record if you are sure as to the ID!
:t:
MB

Are you sure they were Willow Tits? They are very unusual in the area now and considered extinct! Marsh is much more likely, but great record if you are sure as to the ID!
:t:
MB

I hadn't realised the significance! Thanks for the info!

Based on the vocalisations I'm certain of Willow (longer more drawn out - and fortunately I had my ipod and headphones to triple check). The birds stuck around and called enough for me to hear a good sample of sounds.

Topographically I'm not that skilled on the Poeciles, but I believe there's significant cross over anyway.

My crude way to remember the vocalisations are Willow = Whistle and Whine, Marsh = Mips and Moans (massively useful I'm sure you'll agree....3:))

Last edited:
Wyre is a big place and certain species can be hard to pin down. Theres no reason as to why a Willow Tit has not dispersed into that area and latched on to a local flock of Tits, at this time of year.

Wyre is a big place and certain species can be hard to pin down. Theres no reason as to why a Willow Tit has not dispersed into that area and latched on to a local flock of Tits, at this time of year.

Haha very good point. Still, pleased with the spot. Thank you for the added info Dave!

I hadn't realised the significance! Thanks for the info!

Based on the vocalisations I'm certain of Willow (longer more drawn out - and fortunately I had my ipod and headphones to triple check). The birds stuck around and called enough for me to hear a good sample of sounds.

Topographically I'm not that skilled on the Poeciles, but I believe there's significant cross over anyway.

My idiotic way to remember the vocalisations are Willow = Whistle and Whine, Marsh = Mips and Moans (massively useful I'm sure you'll agree....3:))

This remains a local mega in Worcs; not heard of any birds other than the two present at Upton Warren late summer and certainly not from the Wyre for several years although the area around Knowles Mill is a strong-hold for Marsh Tits. So the record is not lost could you contact the County Recorder, Steve Payne?

Worcestershire County Bird Recorder
Steven Payne
<[email protected] >
6 Norbury Close, Redditch B98 8RP
01527 60169

Last edited:
Cheers for the contact details Phil. I've passed on the details to Steven.

I've had a look on the map again, the site was between the new heavy timber bridge and the white rendered (youth centre???) building with the picnic benches and apple trees. All the info's been passed onto Steven.

Last edited:
There definitely is Willow tits in and about the forest for sure :t: I have pics of them before now ( but not very good ) all the image I spend down there I should know what's about ;)

There definitely is Willow tits in and about the forest for sure :t: I have pics of them before now ( but not very good ) all the image I spend down there I should know what's about ;)

Hi Joe - as far as I am aware the last accepted record of a Willow Tit in the Worcestershire part of the Wyre Forest was on the 5th March 2007; sadly I dont have access to the Shropshire records. As with Ste I would urge you to contact the County Recorder Steven Payne with details of any definitive Willow Tit sightings in the Worcestershire part of the Wyre. Ironically Steven was the observer of the above mentioned 2007 bird!

It seems we have the same discussion each year - Willow or Marsh Tit.
It will take some really good snaps to decide it.
I posted on here in January about someone spotting a couple on the old railway before the (Hawfinch) bridge.

Keith :t:

It will take some really good snaps to decide it.

Keith :t:

Some really good snaps that I do not have sadly, I deleted most as they were pretty bad to say the least due to the light, I will have a sort though and see if I got anything to show but iam sure there Willow's as they had larger amount of white on there cheek and the tail looked alot more rounded that the Marsh ones I have photographed in the past, when the young was about in the forest a few months ago you could here also there distinctive calling round :t:

Joe

Hi Joe - as far as I am aware the last accepted record of a Willow Tit in the Worcestershire part of the Wyre Forest was on the 5th March 2007; sadly I dont have access to the Shropshire records. As with Ste I would urge you to contact the County Recorder Steven Payne with details of any definitive Willow Tit sightings in the Worcestershire part of the Wyre. Ironically Steven was the observer of the above mentioned 2007 bird!

Ive not seen Willow Tit in Wyre up to yet. Have seen Marsh Tit on numerous occasions, but alas no Willows.

Having said that, i would bet that they are about. Wyre and its periphery is a massive. How many birders look away from the Dowles Brook area?

I think there could also be a case of people opting for the safe option when confronted with a bird they are not sure about, due to the decline in Willow Tit numbers. Also, how many people are actually clued up on the respective calls, which for me, is the safest way to tell them apart without the benefit of prolonged views?

If Joe and others say they are there, then im prone to believe them, even though i have not seen them there as yet. Its quite likely odd birds attach themselves to roving tit flocks during dispersal outside the breeding season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back