• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drongo, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Seen at city park in Kuala Lumpur in March. I believe it is either Greater Racket-tailed or Crow-billed Drongo. Did not show rackets on tail or prominent fluff of feathers behind the bill that would be characteristic of Greater Racket-tailed. I know that these terrible photos may not be clear enough for positive ID, but would appreciate any input.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC09926.JPG
    DSC09926.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • DSC09924.JPG
    DSC09924.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC09922.JPG
    DSC09922.JPG
    843.6 KB · Views: 43
Seen at city park in Kuala Lumpur in March. I believe it is either Greater Racket-tailed or Crow-billed Drongo. Did not show rackets on tail or prominent fluff of feathers behind the bill that would be characteristic of Greater Racket-tailed. I know that these terrible photos may not be clear enough for positive ID, but would appreciate any input.

Mike
Crow-billed Mike on account of structural features including bill size/shape, large-headed appearance and rather short, slightly splayed tail. The paler areas on the underparts suggest immaturity=2cy.

Grahame

Last edited:
Mike, had niggling doubts about this bird wondering in particular if we can rule out Bronzed from these images. I have misinterpreted the tail structure, the rhs is complete with lhs still growing and the underparts do not appear to show any white marks which would indicate imm Crow-billed so, my comments re age are invalidated. My main concern is bill structure which, on reflection, does not seem quite heavy enough for Crow-billed but its impossible to gauge precise bill shape due to poor quality of the image (9924). If anything, the image makes the bill look bigger because of lack of definition around the edges.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back