• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DSLR's Are Dead (2 Viewers)

Bafty

United Kingdom
Are DSLR cameras dead, or soon to be obsolete ?…it certainly looks it to me

Most, if not all manufacturers bringing new cameras to market are all now mirrorless, they are smaller, lighter, faster, better AF systems, more durable, and with Canon announcing the R3 another mirrorless camera at the same time discontinuing a raft of EF lenses is it time to bail out ?

Having a fairly new 5D MkIV in my bag I’ve decided to bail out of DSLR’s while values are still reasonable and send off my letter to Santa for the R3

Discuss..

I think you are right the future is definitely mirror less no matter what system you follow. The biggest decision I think people will have is do you go for a full clear out or just go for a new body and buy a converter for your existing lenses. Also with the proposed R7 crop sensor and maybe eventually a R1 is does look like Canon is going full in with mirror less systems I can't see them brining out any new DSLRs . I think people though will continue to use DSLRs and we may see some bargains as demand for them drops, lenses will probably hold their value better as you can use them with good results via converters on the mirror less bodies.
We will also have the decision if you wish to go all in do you switch systems, as it's only really Sony where you can get third party lenses such as Tammy, it does not look like any time soon that Sigma or Tammy will be doing a RF mount lens which can making a full switch very expensive.
Tim

Canon have done right keeping existing users onside providing a EF/RF adaptor so there's no need for a complete clear out, the new RF "big whites" are existing "built in adapted" EF lens so nothings really changed on that front so why would you change a Canon 600mm f4 for a Sony F4 of similar size and weight size.

Canon have done right keeping existing users onside providing a EF/RF adaptor so there's no need for a complete clear out, the new RF "big whites" are existing "built in adapted" EF lens so nothings really changed on that front so why would you change a Canon 600mm f4 for a Sony F4 of similar size and weight size.
I think the main change will be the people who do not have the large 500/600 f4's but if you have only a 100 - 400 or similar you might be tempted by the 200 - 500 Canon or 600/800 f11 or if you wanted to go down the Sony route their 150 - 600.

Tim

I'm currently using the m6 mkii,along with all my old EF lenses & very pleased with the results i'm getting.

I was pleasantly surprised to see last September that prices for Canon's 5Ds had fallen, and I took advantage of the temporary low price, and got myself a near-mint used 5Ds. (For bird photography, I've been using a 7D MkII for some years, and it's good to now have a modern viewfinder in a full-frame body, for when I'm shooting architecture.) For more casual snapping, I have my Eos M5, and a few lenses.

Are DSLR cameras dead, or soon to be obsolete ?…it certainly looks it to me

Most, if not all manufacturers bringing new cameras to market are all now mirrorless, they are smaller, lighter, faster, better AF systems, more durable, and with Canon announcing the R3 another mirrorless camera at the same time discontinuing a raft of EF lenses is it time to bail out ?

Having a fairly new 5D MkIV in my bag I’ve decided to bail out of DSLR’s while values are still reasonable and send off my letter to Santa for the R3

Discuss..
With the advent of the 9.44M dot EVF in the Sony a1, I think we are now on the cusp.

Certainly for Sony, and Olympus etc the mirrorless future is here already.

Canon with it's R5 is leading Nikon, and now that the R mount 'big whites' come with built in adapter there's one less joint to worry about. There's probably many a 7D user that has jumped already, having given up hope of ever seeing a 7D III ! (Interesting that lil ol' Pentax has just shown the way with the 26MP APS-C K-3 MkIII .... ! The weight of the lenses at the long end though are no match for Canon, or the Nikon PF's)

You are still waiting to see what the future brings with the R3 and R mount f2.8 300, f4 500, and f4 400 DO .... though they are rumored to be a step ahead.

For Pro shooters they would just use whatever is needed, either keeping, buying or hiring/leasing a Pro DSLR now.

Interesting question of whether to unload the 5D MarkIV (and most lenses too I assume) ..... 2nd hand values will probably never be higher than now ..... I suppose it comes down to is that your last camera, and serving you well ? Or do you expect to still be snapping away ten years from now ?? (In which case now[ish] is probably the best time, economically, to make the mirrorless switch ....)

Over at Nikon it's a little bit different - hard to beat a D500 + PF500 f5.6.
The potential is there to increase the lead with an updated (D6 AF + 26MP BSI CMOS) video capable (a la' D780) D550 .... same could be done for a D860. Nikon could also market those together with a higher 61MP D880 /Z8 twin offering. Over to you Nikon .....

Their 'Pro' lenses are a generation behind weight wise, so it's very much fingers crossed on all fronts there ..... lenses + bodies - they are really going to have to extract the digit to match Sony/Canon/Olympus as lighter weight systems.

If Nikon really had the fire in the belly they'd release a Z mount PF600 f5.6 to compel people to pull the trigger into their mirrorless system ....

Chosun 🙆

Last edited:
DSLR’s have been dead for a while. Years ago I dropped my Nikon D810 a few weeks before a trip to Maine, I bought a used Sony A7R quite cheap because the A7R2 was selling well. I bought a dumb Nikon-Sony adapter and even though my D810 was returned in time I never used it the entire time in Maine. It was predominantly landscapes on a tripod so manual focus with wide angle lenses didn’t present a problem, the focus peaking was a bonus. I went down the Nikon and Sony route as the Sony’s (A7R2 and A7R3) were not great birding cameras. I bought a D500 as a birding camera and then sold it when the D850 was released. Carrying 2 sets of equipment around was a pain so when Nikon released the Z7 I sold all my Sony gear as I had all the benefits of both worlds and using the same lenses. I found as did a lot of Nikon shooters that the D850 was gathering dust so I sold it and bought a Z6 as a spare. So now apart from a couple of 45-50 year old Hasselblad‘s I’m all Mirrorless. There are many manufacturing advantages to mirrorless, such as smaller size which means less magnesium for the body, no prism, no mirror lifting assembly and several others. As for shooting advantages the WYSIWYG through the viewfinder or the back LCD is a good one, live histogram via either is a major plus to me. I would never ever go back to a DSLR. As for LCD viewfinder, you quickly get used to it, and the ability to see the same as the rear LCD is a major plus.

DSLR’s have been dead for a while
It's completely incorrect to say they have been dead for a while or even at all. Dead means gone, finished, no longer existing. They are still the main 35mm camera format and will be for some time still. Even film camera's are not 'dead'. If you're talking as a future technology, then yes in that respect, they are largely a dead end and not going anywhere (Pentax aside), but as a tool for photography and in use, they are very much alive.

It's completely incorrect to say they have been dead for a while or even at all. Dead means gone, finished, no longer existing. They are still the main 35mm camera format and will be for some time still. Even film camera's are not 'dead'. If you're talking as a future technology, then yes in that respect, they are largely a dead end and not going anywhere (Pentax aside), but as a tool for photography and in use, they are very much alive.
I tend to agree, new technology comes along and takes years to completely get in the hands of the users. As long as a lot of the good DSLRs work they will be around. Mine is definitely NOT dead, and will be used until it is physically impossible for me to hold it.

I think DSLR's will see me out, I have no desire for mirrorless and certainly no budget. I would still be using film if it and developing were still easily available, still have my Canon EOS 500 just in case it has a resurgence as 'Retro'. In the meanwhile I am saving for a Sigma 500mm F4 Sport for my Nikon D600's.
I appreciate new technology and if you want it and can afford it, then its for you, but, DSLR's will be around for a long while yet. Even if the main vendors stop support for older technology I suspect and hope new businesses will arrive to fill the gap.

For me the two big advantages of going mirrorless have been the AF performance and the weight. The weight is really important because a lot of my bird shooting is done on long walks.

The thing that initially made me switch to mirrorless was the AF performance of the Canon R5, which for me makes shooting birds in flight a far more enjoyable and less frustrating hobby. I find the animal eye detection works brilliantly, even on small birds.

Having traded in my 5DIV for an R5, I did briefly stick with EF lenses (EF 500 II and EF 100-400 II), but the RF 100-500 tempted me, and it’s been a revelation. The R5 + RF 100-500 combo is so much lighter. I can happily walk with it for hours, which just wasn’t possible with the EF 500.

I was going to purchase a Nikon Z7 when they first appeared but I just couldn't get on with the grip / the feel of the thing. For the time being I'll be sticking with my DSLR, until something mirrorless comes out that I'm comfortable using.

My Canon EOS 700D has stopped working after six years, and from this thread it sounds like it's redundant anyway, So I should probably get a Canon EOS R at around £1500? The R3 is too expensive.

Also on my wish list for a camera is the ability to preset settings for photos of birds (a) against the light and (b) in the undergrowth. It would be good to be able to quickly change the ISO and exposure compensation accordingly. Can any of the mirrorless cameras allow me to do that?

Has anyone told the Pentax K-3 MkIII that technically it should be dead .... ?

Just happens to be pretty much the leading spec'd APS-C DSLR ......

Hurry the f up and extract the digit Nikon - the D500's crown is slipping.

Don't even bother Canon - the last of your 7D MkII users died in vain long ago ........

Chosun 👧

Well I've been using the mirrorless now for the last 6 months and all I can there's nothing I miss about the DSLR, certainly the old stye "croppers" including the D500 cameras can't compete, that said the 1D3 & D6 still hold their own but we are moving away from big heaving cameras along with big and heavy lens. Mirrorless..better EVF what you see is what you get, better AF, better frame rate, better crop factor with 45mg, wake up ? it's all in the settings. Whilst residuals are ok for some DSLR's get some money in the bank for the R3 or the R1
i'm sure people will buy what they can afford,we would all like to have the best but to most it's just a dream

better crop factor with 45mg, wake up ?
Ay .... ??!

That 45MP translates to:
17.5MP of Canon APS-C, so not even 7DII resolution, and,
19.2MP of Nikon APS-C, so 7% less than the 20.6MP D500,
and it's sure as heck nowhere near the 24MP of Sony's crop bodies, nor the 26MP of Fuji's XT-4, or the Pentax K-3 III, let alone the 32MP of Canon's own 90D /M6 II.

Chosun 🤔

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back