• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

rogerstown thumbnails

more rogerstown thumbnails from today

Attachments

• yellowhammer_20080323_c.jpg
    yellowhammer_20080323_c.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 81
  • yellowhammer_20080323_d.jpg
    yellowhammer_20080323_d.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 77
  • goldfinch_20080323_a.jpg
    goldfinch_20080323_a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 75
  • goldfinch_20080323_e.jpg
    goldfinch_20080323_e.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 66
hi brosnabirder
i saw one group of about 10 at the allotments, another group in the trees around the log blocking the road and a larger group on the way down to the hide - on the right hand side. there must be 40-50

Yellowhammers still present, and possibly starting to breed around the stubble fields around the Moyne and Sluice Rivers. Two Buzzards have been reported in the area, but I haven't seen them yet. There are also reports of eight Little Egrets, but so far the max I've seen is six. The Mute Swans are further up the Sluice River than usual. Still good numbers of Brent Geese, Teal and waders, and the usual Mallards. Got my first Kestrel of the year on Sunday, which was nice. Also I've never nearly hit so many Pheasants in one month! Crazy!

Just to let anybody interested know, that there are still at least 3 Brambling (1male /2 female) still present at the zoo feeders as of yesterday.Numbers of finches are much reduced this last week-there seems to have been a big clear out.

I got a chance to do some ringing last week at caught 19 Lesser Redpoll. 2 birds from last year and two from 2006 were retrapped. One of these has been caught in all 3 winters 2006/2007/2008. They dont seem to nest in the Phoenix Park (or in very small numbers) so its interesting to see that these particular birds are regular returners from somewhere else.

Hi,
Most times it is nice to get a garden first, however we had a garden first today which was less welcome: a Mink raided our pond and did not run off when I approached. It moved to one side and we watched each other for a few minutes until my wife drove the car in the driveway whereupon it made off at speed. Whether it recognised the car as an instrument of danger or not I do not know. It did seem to fear the car more than it feared me.
It is a long time since I have seen a Mink in the region.
Regards, Joe

Hi All

2 male brambling in the Phoenix park near the zoo today.
2 med gulls 3 sandwich terns and 2 purple sandpipers and Sandycove on Saturday
1 eastern type jackdaw Lucan Sunday.

Attachments

• Meds DSC00774.JPG
    Meds DSC00774.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 71
  • JackDSC00990.JPG
    JackDSC00990.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PurpleDSC00891.JPG
    PurpleDSC00891.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 68
Re: Mute Swans

A few years ago I saw a white darvic ringed Mute Swan at Bray Harbour, and some time later I saw the same bird at Arklow ponds. Not a major movement but one generally regards Mutes as being sedentary (except for congregating at places like the North Slob in late summer to moult).

I reported the record to the BTO at the time.

Migs around Dublin lately include a singing Chiffchaff at Kilbogget Park, several Sandwich Terns in Dublin Bay and Wheatears on Shelly Beach and the west pier Dun Laoghaire...

Time for more rare Swifts around Bray I say |:D|

See Ya,
Niall

Mink

Hi,
Most times it is nice to get a garden first, however we had a garden first today which was less welcome: a Mink raided our pond and did not run off when I approached. It moved to one side and we watched each other for a few minutes until my wife drove the car in the driveway whereupon it made off at speed. Whether it recognised the car as an instrument of danger or not I do not know. It did seem to fear the car more than it feared me.
It is a long time since I have seen a Mink in the region.
Regards, Joe

Hi Joe,

Perhaps it fears your wife's driving more than you! ;)

Animals can do funny things at times. I recall a Stoat running under my tripod while I was watching Semi-P in Ballycotton. If memory serves P.G. Kennedy in Birds of the North Bull tells of a charming tale of a skylark taking refuge from a Merlin by alighting on a golfer.
Deco

Zoo Gulls

I just had an e mail about a colour ringed Black headed Gull-ringed in Denmark. I had the bird at the zoo in 2002 and almost certainly the same bird in 2 other winters since then, but I could not get the code from the ring. Anyway I just recieved the picture below from the ringer and it looks like the bird has been commuting between a pond beside Copenhagen Zoo and the Dublin Zoo ponds for the last few years

As Kjeld puts it

It is a nice history. The Copenhagen Zoo is a part of Frederiksberg Have. Maybe he likes elephants and flamingos...

26-03-2001 White JXK UTTERSLEV MOSE KØBENHAVN DK06 55.43N-012.30E
Alive Colour ring read Henning Jensen 8 81

09-06-2002 White JXK FREDERIKSBERG HAVE FREDERIKSBERG DK06 55.41N-012.32E
Alive Colour ring read Mogens Juul Agergaard 7 81

10-10-2002 White JXK DUBLIN ZOO DUBLIN ERDU 53.21N-006.18W
Alive Colour ring read Peter Phillips 7 81
23-10-2002 White JXK DUBLIN

ZOO DUBLIN ERDU 53.21N-006.18W
13-11-2002 White JXK DUBLIN ZOO DUBLIN ERDU 53.21N-006.18W
04-12-2002 White JXK DUBLIN ZOO DUBLIN ERDU 53.21N-006.18W
18-12-2002 White JXK DUBLIN ZOO DUBLIN ERDU 53.21N-006.18W
26-12-2002 White JXK DUBLIN ZOO DUBLIN ERDU 53.21N-006.18W
19-03-2003 White JXK ANDEBAKKEN FREDERIKSBERG DK06 55.41N-012.32E
Alive Colour ring read Eddie Fritze 8 81

23-06-2007 White JXK FREDERIKSBERG HAVE FREDERIKSBERG DK06 55.41N-012.32E
Alive Colour ring read Henrik Jørgensen 8 81

Attachments

• DSCN6945.jpg
    DSCN6945.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 69
Hi Peter

See attached gull, ring not the sharpest but I think it may be your gull from Denmark, it was in the Zoo this February 23rd.
5 willow warblers calling in Zoo today and swallows and sandmartins up on the plains.

Sean

Attachments

• GullDSC02081.JPG
    GullDSC02081.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 65
  • GullDSC02086.JPG
    GullDSC02086.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 63
Very nice almost ful lsummer plumage female ruff at swords estuary yesterday. Presumed adult little gull off Malahide...

Anybody know if the summer plumage water pipit at kilkool was refound?

The Kilcoole Water Pipit was searched for during the week after it was seen but to no avail...there has been a major clearout of birds at Kilcoole recently, the only bird of note being a 1st winter Dark-bellied Brent.

Yesterday I had a look for the Black Kite that was seen north of Arklow on the 22nd. No joy but great to see 3 (tagged) Red Kites and 4 Buzzards in the same area!!!

See Ya,
Niall

Green Party is apparently cleaning up the Estuary at Swords over teh weekend... could be a good bit of sneaky birding to be had!

More Buzzards!!!

Yesterday afternoon I had a Buzzard over the N11 junction at Cabinteely soaring high and being mobbed by a Rook, it drifted off SE over Kilbogget Park.

I also saw a Buzzard over the N11 alongside Shankill on Wednesday which isn't far from where I saw a pair on the 2nd March...

Kites next please!!!...

See Ya,
Niall

Hi,
Spent some time on Ireland's Eye today, a good day ruined by sea fog.
Plenty of day trippers but nothing dramatic in terms of birding.
Posting these few as representative of the day;

Attachments

• BL Backs.jpg
    BL Backs.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Displaying Cormorant.jpg
    Displaying Cormorant.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 208
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back