• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (3 Viewers)

Just noticed this thread, great too see it here, will drop by and see whats going on now and then. Living in Sweden but the Bull Island was second home to me growing up, few shots here from last trip home, Ring Billed Gull and Little Egret from the Bull Island and Purple Sandpiper and Rock Pipit from Howth...

Attachments

• ringbill3.jpg
    ringbill3.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 117
  • PS2.jpg
    PS2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 123
  • RPA1.jpg
    RPA1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 122
Just noticed this thread, great too see it here, will drop by and see whats going on now and then. Living in Sweden but the Bull Island was second home to me growing up, few shots here from last trip home, Ring Billed Gull and Little Egret from the Bull Island and Purple Sandpiper and Rock Pipit from Howth...

Thanks for posting the shots. The Bull Island is a great place,I dont get out to it much now a days.
There was a White rumped Swift seen a few years ago on the Bull, and as far as I can remember it was only seen by 'a visiting birder from Sweden'.

It was'nt you by any chance!

lapland buntings from Lowtherstown today.

Attachments

• lapland1.JPG
    lapland1.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 192
  • lapland2.JPG
    lapland2.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 191
lapland buntings from Lowtherstown today.

Very nice Enda - haven't managed to get decent ground views, let alone shots, of them. How many there today?

Peter,

Swedish birder who had swift was Sture Persson (sp?), he's married to a Dublin woman and visits regularly - had a chat about the swift with him in Swords a while back - interesting!

Been mired in the Rog stuff over last while so have seen square root of shag all recently!!

Thanks for posting the shots. The Bull Island is a great place,I dont get out to it much now a days.
There was a White rumped Swift seen a few years ago on the Bull, and as far as I can remember it was only seen by 'a visiting birder from Sweden'.

It was'nt you by any chance!

No wasn't me, unfortunatly so...;)

Still remember the involuntary convulsions when I heard about it! Wasnt it on Stephens Day? Seem to remember Sean Farrell ran into the chap who had grabbed a few shots on his camera...

Had a pair of Buzzards flying together over Crinken Church, Shankill on Sunday morning.

Great to see these birds in south Dublin!!

They may have been wandering from the usual haunts near Bray, but there is plenty of suitable breeding habitat in the "Leadmines"/Rathmichael/Shankill/Lehaunstown/Cabinteely area.

Looks like they may be closing in the gap in distribution caused by Dublin City???

See Ya,
Niall

(ps. three 1st year Iceland Gulls flying north at Kilcoole this morning and a male White Wagtail in Webb's field per. Noel Keogh)

Had a pair of Buzzards flying together over Crinken Church, Shankill on Sunday morning.

Great to see these birds in south Dublin!!

They may have been wandering from the usual haunts near Bray, but there is plenty of suitable breeding habitat in the "Leadmines"/Rathmichael/Shankill/Lehaunstown/Cabinteely area.

Looks like they may be closing in the gap in distribution caused by Dublin City???

See Ya,
Niall

(ps. three 1st year Iceland Gulls flying north at Kilcoole this morning and a male White Wagtail in Webb's field per. Noel Keogh)

Thanks for the news, Niall.

Buzzards are very common up our way, in Louth. There are 4 circling outside my house as I speak.

They are starting to put in appearances in the Phoenix Park too.

There were also three buzzards hanging about occasionally over Kilternan during the winter. Whether Bray Blow-ins or not, dunno....

Following my sighting of 2 Buzzards at Shankill on Sunday, myself and my father had 3 Buzzards fly over our house at Johnstown, near Cabinteely this morning!!!

They came in from the Dun Laoghaire direction and headed off S-SE, probably ending up in Shankill/Bray.

Again, where they originated is anybodys guess!

See Ya,
Niall

They must be checking out DL-Rathdown Real Estate, now that property prices are "re-adjusting". Upwardly Mobile Wicklow Buzzards.

Hi Folks,
On the thread of Buzzards;
Today I watched in wonder at the aerial display as 3 Buzzards were shadowed by a pair of Ravens behind our house at Naul. It was a pleasure to watch and I had a front row seat. The 'dispute' lasted about 20 minutes, at which stage the Buzzards drifted off to the south while the Ravens returned to domestic duties.
Secondly, keep a watch for tagged Buzzards from Damian Clarke's project; he attached Red tags year one and Yellow tags in year two. He left off the project last year to concentrate on the Red Kite re-introduction programme. I attach a Red Tagged Buzzard which lived for months behind our house.
Joe

Attachments

• Tagged Buzzard.jpg
    Tagged Buzzard.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 82
Plenty of Buzzard activity at home in County Louth, this weather. Still no sign of any Red Kite. I take it that the re introduction plan is still going ahead in County Down this year. Do Red Kite breed in their 2nd or 3rd Year?

2 Brambling and a dozen Lesser Redpoll at the zoo feeders as I type.

Ring-billed Gull still on Bull Island as of yesterday. Good few Purple Sandpipers and Greenshank in Baldoyle too.

Hi,
Buzzards were as plentiful as Skylarks this afternoon between Naul & Knockbrack (the highest point in Fingal). There seemed to be a 'fall' of Buzzards with 14 in the air at one time and I could see one in a tree a few hunded yards from our house as well. Four years ago I saw 13 Buzzards together in the sky but this is a new record number. It did have an impact on the gardening as it is spellbinding watching and listening as they circle above. I found none with tags however.
Joe

No wasn't me, unfortunatly so...;)

Still remember the involuntary convulsions when I heard about it! Wasnt it on Stephens Day? Seem to remember Sean Farrell ran into the chap who had grabbed a few shots on his camera...

Yes I think it was. I was staying in town for Christmas
that year and had been bring my mothers dog to the bull for a 2 hour walk most days. That day (swift on the bull) news filtered through that there were Waxwings giving themselves up in south county Dublin. I skipped the Bull and went for the Waxwings!

Never mind. The Waxwings were very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back