• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck - Bislicher Insel - Wesel [Germany] (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hello everyone,

I took these pictures today of a female duck. I couldn't take more pictures as it was disappearing behind some bushes (already had to take those photos through the bushes with some leaves already visible in the pictures).

I have a hard time identifying the species and are a bit clueless with this one. With a light brown head and a grey bill, could it be a Northern Pintail? (Just guessing)

P1220842.jpegP1220843.jpegP1220844.jpegP1220845.jpegP1220846.jpegP1220847.jpeg

Thanks
David

Hello everyone,

I took these pictures today of a female duck. I couldn't take more pictures as it was disappearing behind some bushes (already had to take those photos through the bushes with some leaves already visible in the pictures).

I have a hard time identifying the species and are a bit clueless with this one. With a light brown head and a grey bill, could it be a Northern Pintail? (Just guessing)

View attachment 1414702View attachment 1414703View attachment 1414704View attachment 1414705View attachment 1414706View attachment 1414707

Thanks
David
Female Teal

Hello David,
agree with wheatearlp, its a Teal. They can sometimes give a strange, hard ID-impression, when small size isnt appearant. Like your lone bird.
But if you see a female dabbling Duck, that you struggle to identify, and that gives some kind of wary/shy impression, than a Teal is often the right answer.
Reason?
Mallard: you have seen so much of them, that you can ID them with a glimpse. Like parents can with their twins, that seems identical to others
Gadwall: many/most females have the right bill-pattern, which is distinctive. And its a bird, that looks similar to a Mallard. So you have looked at many of them and learned how to ID them
Shoveler: unique bill and distinctive feeding action
Pintail distinctive shape, sometimes you think you have one, but: if have you really have one, than you know its the real deal
Garganey: fine/subtly features, you have learned them

But the featureless Teal? Often, the small size is appearant, but if its not, there is not much to go. I hope that understandable.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back