• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID help (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
Highams Park lake, north London, this evening, 19 September 2020, we observed two identical ducks amongst the mallard, pochard, coots and moorhen:
Dark brown bodies extending up the back of the neck and head; a white chest and front of the neck that extended a very small amount around the bill; a dark grey/black ducks bill, not overly large in proportion but wide perhaps like a smaller shoveller bill. With possibly two white tipped wing/tail feathers, but not a long tail.
Larger than tufted duck, bit smaller than a mallard.
That's about the best I can do.

So overall a medium sized duck of two colours, plain dark brown body and head with no really obvious markings, pure white frontal neck, ducks bill.
We both got a fairly good look at the birds, my daughter has good eyesight; and we were using 7x42 in excellent light at about 6pm. We've checked through various bird books including the Collins without success.
She paused briefly at the long tailed duck because it has the dark brown and the white, but obviously nothing like these.
We have no clue. Maybe brother hybrids?

The lake gets all sorts... mandarin ducks, great crested grebe, cormorant, egyptian geese, little egret, little grebe.

Thank you.
Mallard/Swedish blue link... Very first snap with more white, also six rows down, middle column, but more compact. Manky mallard, except these two looked very smart!
I'd wondered about a goldeneye/mallard cross. Shall try to get a snap this morning, though they stayed in the middle of the lake.

There was also a dog by the lake...imagine a West Highland White, very slightly larger and in perfect black &white border collie markings right down to the shepherds lantern. His owners didn't know what he was exactly, very cute dog.

DSC04576

Not so impressive when there's only one, but the pair last night really stood out as oddities.

Yes, domestic Mallard - one of the black bibbed call ducks types - ( possibly swedish blue x Mallard) bred originally to ‘call’ wild Mallard to traps and used as decoys but now often kept as pets (which escape!)

http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/images/calls/bibbed.jpg

Even though they are ‘manky’, I always think they’re really smart looking ducks :t:

(now that is a manky dog - I guess he’s been swimming;))

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back