• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID (UK) (1 Viewer)

Hi!

I recently went on a hike near Gargrave, UK - near the Yorkshire Dales and came across these birds and I can't figure out what they are. I figured a type of duck either domesticated or hybrid but not too sure.

There were 5 of them, seemingly one larger adult and 4 old juveniles - but hard to tell. They were over 30 cm in height and over 75 cm in length - definitely a fair bit larger than a mallard. I saw them in a small river/stream.

I hope you can help!

DSC_4611.JPG

DSC_4612.JPG

DSC_4651.JPG

DSC_4655.JPG

I'm not seeing a bird that looks like a pure adult Muscovy here, but I'm not certain whether these are juvenile domestic Muscovies or Muscovy x Mallard hybrids. I'm perhaps leaning towards the former as they seem more Muscovy-like in structure than most of the hybrids I've seen, and none of them seem to have obvious traces of Mallard-like plumage.

If one was significantly bigger than the others (not obvious to me from the photos), perhaps that one is a male and the others females, as Muscovies have a big sexual dimorphism in size but not much of one in plumage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back