• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunbar (1 Viewer)

LittleBitOfBreadNoCheese

Scotland
Braved 40mph+ westerly winds to visit Dunbar today, main hope was to see some Purple Sandpipers. The SOC app suggested the best sites lay NW of the station so I set off that way not surprisingly making very slow progress - some of the cliff edge paths felt decidedly unsafe. In the water were plenty of Eider and Goldeneye, a pair of Red Breasted Mergansers and some Shags on the rocks. Rock Pipits plentiful everywhere. The usual common waders were there and eventually (after checking photos) I managed to get my first Scottish Purple Sandpipers, a bird that has frustrated me for some time. I wonder if I've overlooked them in the past.

St Andrews can be good for Purple Sandpiper. They roost on a man-made ledge below the cathedral ruins at high tide, which can be seen by looking over the wall near the side entrance into the grounds of the cathedral. Another good spot for them is at Arbroath, just west of the harbour. At high tide they can often be seen in a roost with other waders on the slope by the track towards the football ground, or out on the breakwater.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back