• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin again - what do centralis really look like? (2 Viewers)

and a few more of it... if it had streaking on the flanks... I'd be claiming a hudsonia! It hadn't got a perfect clean void in the white over the flank patch - then the weird rounder grey spots started again under the primaries.

The belly patch was massive

Attachments

• arse spots.JPG
    arse spots.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 154
  • belly.JPG
    belly.JPG
    349.6 KB · Views: 108
  • belly2.JPG
    belly2.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
A few more photos. I was chatting to Chris Kehoe on facebook last night and he was wondering about the possibility of this being hudsonia, despite the absence of flank streaks. Back up from someone with a proper camera would be very welcome!

Attachments

• S0748203-001.JPG
    S0748203-001.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 130
  • S0748204.JPG
    S0748204.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 85
  • S0758207.JPG
    S0758207.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 88
  • S0768211.JPG
    S0768211.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 87
  • S0778218.JPG
    S0778218.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 105
Hi Jane

Some very interesting photos of Dunlins and I hate to butt in on your conversation with yourself, however I thought I would add some photos of hudsonia from Cape May very recently.

Like all forms, hudsonia is variable on the upperpart coloration, the prevalence of white tips or black centres on the scaps. It has (in Dunlin terms) a long, broad-based bill, something I am not quite getting from your images, but accept they are far from optimal. Note that many but not all hudsonia have flank streaks - some are unmarked or virtually so. One more thing is the extent of the black on your bird - high onto the upper belly/lower chest, which is also odd for hudsonia.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_8904.jpeg
    IMG_8904.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_8905.jpg
    IMG_8905.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_8902.jpg
    IMG_8902.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Butt away... and fabulous photos - i love the flock. No the bill wasn't at all heavy based - in fact if anything it looked long & unusually slender. I contrast, the weird birds two years ago looked like they'd nicked a Whimbrel's bill.

The black belly was huge - as big as I've ever seen on a Dunlin and the streaking above it was very heavy (on a white background) - apart from where there was a Firecrest-style copper shawl which spread onto the lower neck sides. We looked long and hard for the flank streaking and there wasn't any at all.

Though hudsonia scaps are variable, the vast majority (including yours) seem to have quite broad spatulate greyish tips - like Alaskan and Bering Straits birds. This one have isolated white spots that I'm only finding on birds with central Siberian genes (centralis and bright "alpina").

I'm hoping its there again today - since the light might be a little less primordial and there shouldn't be bank holiday day trippers toughing it out on the beach.

I'm still thinking that this is mostly central Siberian, but might have some genes from further east too.

Attachments

• streaking.jpg
    streaking.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 124
  • rear scap.png
    rear scap.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Do hudsonia also have the Sanderling-like wing bar...?
Fig 75.9 in Paulson 2005 (Shorebirds of North America: The Photographic Guide) is a flight shot captioned: "Breeding Dunlin (hudsonia). Long-billed, typical calidridine flight pattern but with striking wing stripe, almost as much so as Sanderling. Rich rufous back distinctive in this plumage. Naples, Florida, USA, May 2000."

Last edited:
Just spent 4 hours watching Mr Dunlinksi. For the most part further away and in worse light than yesterday. Two discoveries the outer 3-4 primaries are old and very faded, the inner ones very crisp and dark. The wing bar is massive - easily as wide and bright as Sanderling - a solid bar on the secondaries but very also strong on the fresh primaries. You could pick it out from the rest of the Dunlin on this alone in flight.

It was doing a lot of preening and wing-stretching and when it shuffled, you could see the wing bar shining out. I spent time watching other Dunlin in the same conditions and didn't see the same effect.

Attachments

• S0089068.JPG
    S0089068.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 97
  • S0099070.JPG
    S0099070.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 94
  • S0109082.JPG
    S0109082.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 114
  • S0119085.JPG
    S0119085.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 177
  • S0119087.JPG
    S0119087.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 121
This is my best guess at what is going on with respect to haplotypes and the 9 "races" of Dunlin. Though perhaps its wishful thinking that there is no significant intergrade zone between Alaskan.

I expect historically that many of the purer centralis birds got called sakhalina or even pacifica as soon as they stopped showing European influence. You'd expect Alaskan/Beringian/Siberian blends to exist.

The figure shows haplotypes with the 9 "races" against them.

Attachments

• genes.jpg
    genes.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 145
If only... I think the blue quotient was higher than yesterday, with most in the turquoise zone! Didn't see the Foxy one today, but got distracted by a goose on the sea!

A close relation of the Hoylake Dunlin, actually looking most like the second bird on May 28th that I never managed to photograph, was at Cley

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/images/articles/2013-22/dunlin.jpg

RBA said:
Bearing more than just a hint of similarity with the “Red-backed Sandpiper” seen at Cley in May 2011 (it could almost be one and the same), this gorgeous looking Dunlin was photographed on the beach near the East Hills, Norfolk on May 24th by Stuart White. The ghostly palour of the barely marked face and breast, long bill and striking rich terracotta, largely unmarked scapulars make for a particularly eye-catching individual, but where has it come from?

The East Hills bird appears to be a match for a Pacific form, perhaps the closest fit could be sakhalina, although there’s a chance that it could just be an ultra-bright alpina or perhaps centralis.

As it stands, the Cley bird from a couple of years ago is now not thought not to be an American Dunlin but more likely to be in the sakhalina ballpark as well (or an adjacent northwest Pacific form). The taxonomy of Dunlin is somewhat murky at the moment, so there aren’t too many places to go with any of it currently, but that shouldn’t detract from this super looking bird.

Belly shield size is looking quite useful for separating Siberina/Beringian birds from Alaskan/Canadian birds. Perhaps related - upper belly streaking also seems heavier down the the Beringian/Siberian axis

Attachments

• belly.jpg
    belly.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 186
I'll certainly have to pay closer attention here just across the pond from you Jane. In your last diagram, is the Arctica belly patch typical, or part moulted? I have been putting variations down to different stages of moult

I'll certainly have to pay closer attention here just across the pond from you Jane. In your last diagram, is the Arctica belly patch typical, or part moulted? I have been putting variations down to different stages of moult

No that was a full-breeding bird.

Knowing that, I'll pay much more attention to darker patches in future.

Edit: as you can see, I'm in the lower catch-up class

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back