• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin or Curlew Sandpiper - October / Hawaii (2 Viewers)

Shorebirdidiot

United States
Freeze frames from video. Looks a little pale and long-legged for a Dunlin. Not sure. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 7.50.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 7.50.37 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 7.49.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 7.49.35 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
Hello,
is it possible to see te video?
Yes, it's an elegant, leggy and long billed bird, but with many caveats against Curlew Sandpiper imo:
  • the supercilium seems very week and nearly absent behind the eye (yes, some CS have the supercilium more distinct and broad/evident before the eye than behind, but more striking before the eye then. Always?)
  • your bird has streaks on the upper flanks, just below the bread sides. Bad for winte lumaged CS (?)
  • yes, it seems that I want to shift the features away from CS and push it towards Dunlin, but although the bill is variation for this species, it gives a slightly uneven blended impression to me. And some CS have even longer ones and knowing the nearctic ssp of Dunlin has long bills according to literature:
Yes, if forced, I would ID your bird as a Dunlin, but with the caveat that I have never seen the nearctic ssp.

Certainly “leggy” and long billed, however I too have never seen the near arctic ssp and noting the absence of any “warm” tint to the breast and reduced supercillium, am now inclined to assume it to be a Dunlin.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back