• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterbirds ID please, Guangdong, China (1 Viewer)

hibari

Hi everyone!
The photos below were taken at Zhongshan, Guangdong on Feb 25.
1. The bird was found in a mixed flock of black-headed and Saunders's Gulls. The bill seems a little too large for a Saunders's?
2. Temminck's Stint? Why does it have a white face?
3. Dunlin or Curlew Sandpiper?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Image_1708999791711.jpg
    Image_1708999791711.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Image_1709000021972.jpg
    Image_1709000021972.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Image_1709000121625.jpg
    Image_1709000121625.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 58
1. This appears to be a first-winter Saunders's Gull. I agree that the bill looks longer, which is strange, but the shape of the bill (convex culmen and sharp tip) looks right. The plumage (head pattern and wing pattern) also looks right for first winter Saunders's. I can't think of another species that would fit.
2. I agree this looks like a Temminck's Stint apart from the white face. I guess that this is a plumage abnormality in this individual.
3. Difficult from this photo. I think that it's a Dunlin because it looks quite short necked, but I'm not entirely sure from this photo.

1. This appears to be a first-winter Saunders's Gull. I agree that the bill looks longer, which is strange, but the shape of the bill (convex culmen and sharp tip) looks right. The plumage (head pattern and wing pattern) also looks right for first winter Saunders's. I can't think of another species that would fit.
2. I agree this looks like a Temminck's Stint apart from the white face. I guess that this is a plumage abnormality in this individual.
3. Difficult from this photo. I think that it's a Dunlin because it looks quite short necked, but I'm not entirely sure from this photo.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back