• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (1 Viewer)

little owl/seo x 2

2 x seo at follinsby lane and according to locals 1 barn owl, the little owl can sometimes be seen on follinsby lane just after the bridge. You can park just after bridge in front of the 2 houses, check out the dead tree with ivy on and if no sign scan the wooded area, i think this is where the photo was taken? hope this is of some use to you.
cheers steve
The gaffer said:
Keith,

Where abouts on Follingsby Lane was the Little Owl? Was there any signs of the SEO's?

Thanks

had the other half out today
started at jarra.. she got her first waxwings of the year(and probably the only ones) 14 here at 11am around the usual spot..loads of thrushs again wandered around abit(got some funny looks again) had 20+ redwing and 15+ mistle thrush..
a male blackcap showing well again..
15-20 siskins in the larches at jarra slake
male gadwell still at the tilesheds.. still won`t take the bread! :stuck:
boldon flats- normal teal and wigeon ,4 herons, 2 shelduck, 4 canadas and 6 l.t.tits to note
boldon enviroment centre- 5 bullfinchs and a woodcock..

Last edited:
Bishops Park

A single Brambling amongst dozens of Redwing, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Coal Tit.

Sparrowhawk (1), Treecreeper (2), Nuthatch (2) and a couple of Fieldfare also in the area.

DaveB

I had an hour at Washington WWT this morning. The Hawthorn Wood hide was as busy as ever. The conservation warden said the Bullfinches are just about queuing up for extra food to be put out each morning - his max count was 40. Also 2 Willow Tits, GS Woodpecker calling (but not at feeders), quite a few Coal and Long-tailed tits, and a female Sparrowhawk which flew in and landed on top on one of the feeders! The grounds are now starting to come on a fair bit - there's grass in front of the main centre and reeds now planted in the old reservoir pond, but still work to be done. But at least it didn't have the 'building site' feel of previous visits.

Just a reminder to everyone that next weekend is 'World Wetlands' weekend at all WWT reserves (Fri to Sun). It's free entry on Friday and Saturday ( :D )and there's extra activities taking place in the grounds. These include a chance to go down to Wader Lake late in the day to see the Curlew roost, currently holding around 600 birds! Members of the DBC committee will be manning the Hawthorn Wood hide from 10 to 4 each day to help alongside the WWT, show visitors what's around and answer any general birdy questions. There'll also be the DBC display boards, membership info, reports/Leks etc for sale and latest bird news. It'd be great to get a few Birdforum members popping in, even if just to say hello.
Here's a bit more info: http://www.durhambirdclub.org/2007/20070119a-world-wetlands-day.html

Attachments

• IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Pablo Hugelist has been venturing to the depths of SW Durham this weekend, and his report back today concerned a flock of 50 Brambling, feeding by the beech trees opposite the Morritt Arms hotel at Greta Bridge. Bramblings have been very scarce so far this winter, so this flock would be a welcome diversion for anyone passing through the area.
Other news from Birdguides includes the 3 Ring-necked Parakeets still in Ward Jackson park, Hartlepool.

Visit to Low Barns

A visit to Low Barns today produced the following:-

Cormorant x 9 - on raft Marston Lake, Grey Heron x 2, Mute Swan x 2, Teal x 8, Mallard x 10+, Pochard x 2, Tufted Duck 6+, Goldeneye approx 4 drakes & 6 female, Goosander 2 males on River Wear.

The strange looking duck with the fanned out white tail that has been recorded as a Smew on the notice board that I have on good authority from a very knowledgable birder whom I met in the South Hide is an albino Goldeneye.

Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull x 2, Great Black-backed Gull x 1, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Green Woodpecker x 1, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Redwing x 3 - Alder Wood/West Hide
Marsh Tit x 1 - Feeding Station, Willow Tit x 1 Alder Wood, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch - Feeding Station, Treecreeper - Alder Wood, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow & Chaffinch.

A quick stop off at Hamsterley also produced Great spotted Woodpecker, Sisken, Jay, Pheasant & Greenfinch.

I also bumped into DenBee (It's nice to put faces to names) walking towards the North Hide. :hi:

Last edited:
I had quite a good morning down my way. I tried to make the most of it as it was the last chance I'll get to do any birding for 2-3 weeks.

I started off at Rossmere Park, Hartlepool - arriving a little late at 08:00 but in time to see one Little Egret departing for the day. Four or five have been reported as roosting here some nights.

Next I stopped off at Ward Jackson Park. I'd just got out of the car and was peering around the tall trees when a racket started up as the three Rose-ringed Parakeet arrived - two males and a female. The two males were moving between the trees whilst the female was checking out what looked like old Woodpecker holes and even started cleaning out one of them.

I then drove across to the A19 by Dalton Lodge where five Corn Bunting were reported yesterday. I possibly saw them by the stables flying off, but couldn't be sure. On the stubble field were c.100 Fieldfare, c.30 Redwing and loads of Starlings.

Next came the Fire Station Pool by Saltholme Ponds where there was a Green Sandpiper. I saw another one later at Portrack roundabout.

Seaton Snook was next - a little windy but it was nice to see the Twite were back - a flock of c.30 were feeding in the sea grass. No sign of any divers today,just a few RB Merganser, Eider, Wigeon and Cormorant on the water with 40+ Oystercatcher and c.50 Knot on the old slipway.

Attachments

• IMG_2971ao.JPG
    IMG_2971ao.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3019ao.JPG
    IMG_3019ao.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3351ao.JPG
    IMG_3351ao.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3400ao.JPG
    IMG_3400ao.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3763ao.JPG
    IMG_3763ao.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 125
The gaffer said:
Keith,

Where abouts on Follingsby Lane was the Little Owl? Was there any signs of the SEO's?

Thanks

Hi Gaffer

If you arrive from the Nissan side going NW along Follingsby Lane, there's a large dead, ivy covered tree on the right just before you get to the kink in the road over the hump back bridge (grid ref NZ334596) - http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=54.93&lon=-1.4803&scale=25000&icon=x This is the favoured tree but the birds often go onto the edge of the wood behind if they're flushed. The few dead trees on Follingsby Lane as you approach the bridge are also sometimes used. If you turn right before the bridge (onto Downhill Lane), there's a small layby by a field entrance where you can pull off the road. This is where the photo was taken. Don't walk into the fields, but you can walk along the road to get a different view of the wood. If they're not there, try again another day

Hope this helps.

No sign of SEO but then again i only stayed 10 mins.

Last edited:
Feeding station

CW and I did a lot of work at the feeding station yesterday.
The station is setup very much with my photography in mind. I have tried as best I could to make it as user friendly as possible with the introduction of natural perches, "props" etc. Any small twigs, branches or undergrowth that was likely to "spoil" a good photo by being in the way have been removed.
Feeders are constantly maintained and refilled to draw in the birds.
There is an abundance of opportunities for natural looking shots rather than "birds on feeders" (unless that is the type of shot you like)
I thought I would attach a few shots of the station for those who have not been. The red circle in the third photo shows the location of the female reed bunting in shot 4.
Nothing within the station area is more than 15 yards away from the camera with the central tree trunk being around 6 yards away.

Attachments

• station1.jpg
    station1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 148
  • station2.jpg
    station2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 119
  • station3.jpg
    station3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 156
  • frb2097.jpg
    frb2097.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 124
Had a wander down Barnes Park yesterday, didn't really see much apart from 3 grey squirrels which Ive never seen down there before. I know it's the wrong thread but does anyone know if there are many squirrels in this area? Thanks for the info about WWT, gonna try and wangle a days holiday from work so I can pop across. I'll drag my parents along who are also keen birders, they had 30+ Goldfinch on their mini feeding station in the back garden today.

RSPB Garden Birdwatch

Did anyone else do the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend?
I did mine this morning from 9:10am-10:10am with the following results.
Blackbird (1)
Dunnock (3)
Goldfinch (10)
House Sparrow (4)
Robin (1)
Jackdaw (1)
Starling (50+)
The only way to count the Starlings was to take a picture then count them later.
Unfortunatley Greenfinch, Wren, Collored Doves, Any Tits and Sparrowhawk did not show |:(|

I went up to Saxon Way, Jarrow this morning and counted 16 Waxwings in one tree. There were also Redwing, Mistle Thrush, 3 Blackcap and 1 Fieldfare. One mystery bird turned up, looking very much like a female Ring Ouzel, but the white band was half the width as shown in most books. It appeared twice and fed on the berries, before disapearing.

Did anyone else see this bird?

RSPB Garden Birdwatch

The following visited my garden this morning.

2 Woodpigeon
1 Dunnock
3 House Sparrow
8 Greenfinch
1 Chaffinch
2 Blackbird
2 Goldfinch
1 Starling
2 Collared Doves
1 Blue Tit

This years count was good because usually all the birds disappear for the garden watch weekend.

Low Barnes (scene 2)

As a follow on to Cal07vin report I had a reasonable visit from 9am to 13.30pm much the same as already reported , however I did note two pair of Goosander at the wear just behind the Wild Wetlands hide which then flew inland up the river. The feeding station did provide a sighting of Nuthatch x 2, G.S.W x 1 and Longtailed Tits x 8 apart from what has already been reported by Cal also Pochard x 2 on Marston Lake, however I was not lucky enough to sight this mysteriuos duck.
Nice to put a face to the name also Cal.

Walked from Middleton Teesdale to High Force and back today along the river side and back via Holwick village road. Birds seen 6 B.H.Gulls hanging around Middleton bridge, 2 Mistle Thrush, single Fieldfares at various points on the river, flooded field with reedy type grass held about 6 pair of Mallard and 1 pair of Teal. Further up river more Mallard which were very nervy of approach unlike the ones on the Wear or our local ponds. A lone male Goosander fishing, 1 Dipper flying down river not many on river water running very fast. 1 Buzzard flying very low on North of the river bank hunting. Male Kestrel flying between Holwick area and swing bridge near Low Force twice. 2 more Mistle Thrush on over head wires. 2 Coots in fields near river side. A large tree holding 30 Fieldfares 6 Redwings and 2 more Mistle Thrush. High Force was running with a lot of power today with water running down both sides of the falls just thought I'd mention that as these days it dosn't happen very much. On returning to Middleton I then drove on to Langdon Beck which to my surprise was very short of birds but had the pleasure of watching 15 male Black Grouse feeding in the field which was just behind the old red prefabricated building as you look from the St Johns Chapel road. Great walk and enjoyable birding can't ask for much more. GOOD BIRDING to you all.

i know not in the bird thread but...
spotted a grey squirrel today in the wild part of whitburn village...past the cemetary.. the overgrown area before the park
this is my first s.tyneside spot...had them in gateshead and the wear... are they getting bolder...as they do...?

Etherley Moor Garden Watch

Grey Partridge (2)
Herring Gull (2 over)
Song Thrush (1, in full song)
Redwing (15+, over)
Blackbird (7)
Woodpigeon (2)
Jackdaw (1)
Carrion Crow (1)
Magpie (3, 1 of which was the bird with the hawk ravaged wing)
Long-tailed Tit (several visited the feeders)
Blue Tit (6+, 1 checking out one of the nest boxes)
Great Tit (4)
Tree Sparrow (2, checking out one of the nest boxes)
House Sparrow (10+)
Greenfinch (3 on feeders)
Robin (2)
Dunnock (6)

DaveB

Last edited:
Local Patching - Houghton-le-Spring area

Another for patch year list......

single Whooper Swan south over Sedgeletch this morning (site first)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local bird news

Green Woodpeckers noisy & showing well at Malton along with active Dippers, Kingfisher, drumming GSW. Many species singing & chasing.

pair of Green Woodpeckers & a Little Owl at Cockfield Fell recently.

SE

seggs said:
i know not in the bird thread but...
spotted a grey squirrel today in the wild part of whitburn village...past the cemetary.. the overgrown area before the park
this is my first s.tyneside spot...had them in gateshead and the wear... are they getting bolder...as they do...?

Hi Seggs, yeh a few sightings in Whitburn Village and at West Hall recently and I had one in Marine Park not so long back.

Murton Area

Had a good nosey around my local patches today. first call was at Heseledon Moor Not much out of the ordinary apart from Kestrel x 1 being mobbed by Crows, one solitary Redwing high up in Hawthorn tree quite surpised as this area usually attracts quite a few with all the fruiting Hawthorn around.
Wandered over to the three ponds directly behind the power sub station where Snipe x 2 were flushed from the reeds. Apart from these sightings the rest of the species around were the run of the mill:-
Bluetit x 4
House Sparrow x 6
Jackdaw x 2
Collared dove x 4
Starling x 12
Goldfinch x 6
Blk Bird x 3
Carrion Crow x 6
Blk Headed Gull x 11
Magpie x 15 ( Largest group I have seen recently making an awful racket)
Yellowhammer x 2
Cock Pheasant x 3
Chaffinch x 2
Reed Bunting x 4
Murton Cycleway Again not much about the only thing of note was ??Twite x 1 ( Only caught a glimpse of Pink Rump) so I am claiming this tick
Slightly more Redwing x 4 present than previous site although still a small number from previous years all though Berries in abundance:-
Blk Bird x 18
Bluetit x 6
Wren x 3
Robin x 4 Two cock birds in full tail ereect display
Greenfinch x 2
Yellowhammer x 20
Linnet x 10
Kestrel x 1
Song Thrush x 1
Magpie x 6
Dalton Moor
Two large flocks of Yellowhammer x 50 and Reed Bunting x 30 in the corner of Stackyard field this seems to be a popular place for them to congregate, also present this visit Linnet x 10, Lapwing x c100 Blk headed Gull x 40 and Starling x 40

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back