• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

sicky off work

paid a visit to trow first---
little owl in usual tree..1 pair of stonechats on the rocks in the bay..1 f.kestrel.. only 5 eiders..5 shags.. 80+ dunlin roosting along with 50+ oystercatchers on the south face of the pier..noticed more kittiwakes coming in now.. also fulmars returning to manhaven bay..
large car park at marsden... adult med gull..
did`nt get any s.e.owls at west pasture..
50+ fieldfare in field east of west pasture by a19
boldon flats--
1 ruff....1 f.goldeneye...1 drake pintail.. 2 mute swans..1 pair of shoveler..2 shelduck...1 gadwal...22 greylags.. 100+wigeon...50+ teal...50+ curlews...5 herons..

Brave of you admit that today was a sicky Seggs - hope you're boss isn't reading this thread!
Other news I saw mentioned today was of an adult Glaucous Gull on the Black Midden Rocks in the Tyne on Saturday, but no sign today. It's probably still around Shields/Tynemouth somewhere, so worth keeping an eye open for. There's been very few so far this winter.

Wonder if CW checked his diver at Hetton Lyons CP on 26 Dec properly (thought it was Black-throat on first evening, re-id'd as Red-throat next day). How far is it from Hetton to Farnham as the diver flies.... ;) (only joking Colin, but would have been nice.... Why can't we get a first for the W Pal on one of our ponds!?)

Walk Around Marsden

Went for a walk around Marsden,South Shields today.First off The Dell where i saw Blue Tits,Great Tits,Chaffinch and a couple of GSW'S feeding.Then around the Watertower where i saw Robin,Longtailed Tit,Greenfinch,Goldfinch,Great Tit,Blue Tit and Coal Tit.
Marsden Quarry had the usual Magpies a male Kestrel and Little Owl.
Camels Island had two rafts of Eider offshore, one had 10 birds the other had 13.Rock Pipit and Pied Wagtail also nearby.Also Male Kestrel on Island itself.A nice day indeed.

The 3 Rose-ringed Parakeets were still showing well around the eastern end of Ward Jackson Park (Hartlepool) this morning.

Little Egret on rectangular pool ( W., opposite the Saline Lagoon) this afternoon.

There are still places left for the clubs trip to Loch Ken (etc.) on the

25th February.

Attachments

• 100B3552.jpg
    100B3552.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 100B4253.jpg
    100B4253.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 100B4470.jpg
    100B4470.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 94
whitburnmark said:
Brave of you admit that today was a sicky Seggs - hope you're boss isn't reading this thread!
Other news I saw mentioned today was of an adult Glaucous Gull on the Black Midden Rocks in the Tyne on Saturday, but no sign today. It's probably still around Shields/Tynemouth somewhere, so worth keeping an eye open for. There's been very few so far this winter.

Wonder if CW checked his diver at Hetton Lyons CP on 26 Dec properly (thought it was Black-throat on first evening, re-id'd as Red-throat next day). How far is it from Hetton to Farnham as the diver flies.... ;) (only joking Colin, but would have been nice.... Why can't we get a first for the W Pal on one of our ponds!?)
hi mark..
when the boss is away!!!( dont throw many)
he`s only got interest in the 3rd page of the sun..bird wise 8-P
but understands mine..

Last edited:
barn owl outskirts of witton-le-wear sat on a fence post by the rd. at about 6 not bothered that the car came to a stop and reversed back

Can I ask who it was that left a message on my car windscreen today after visiting the feeding station area.
Message is signed KK???
My apologies if it is someone I should have know.

fust

whitburnmark said:
............ but would have been nice.... Why can't we get a first for the W Pal on one of our ponds!?)

Doesnt the bird at East shore village building site pool count then ...........? ;-)

single Waxwing btween A690 & Ho'ton CO-OP yesterday aftnoon

SE

nest?

my house sparrow has been back in its Usual nest hole in the side of my roof with something in its beak.Building a nest in jan surely not!

Felt like spring last few afternoons at elemore woods, grey partridge seem to have all paired up,3 mistles singing and 2 great spotteds druming. Feeding stations been ok. 25 long tails,20 coal tits few chaffys and tree creeps . Interestingly twice now the buzzards been seen gliding above feeding station i think its got eye on grey squirrels,hope so. Also perigrine still kicking about

Got my copy of 'the Lek' today, great reading,can't believe we get so much for our membership fee? It must be subsidised?
Looking forward to at least one free trip to W.ton W.W.T. friday and saturday, might meet up with some other members and put faces to names?

Paul Mc said:
Got my copy of 'the Lek' today, great reading,can't believe we get so much for our membership fee? It must be subsidised?
Looking forward to at least one free trip to W.ton W.W.T. friday and saturday, might meet up with some other members and put faces to names?
I AGREE PAUL ITS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER,FORGOT HOW MANY TIMES I`VE PICKED IT UP. MIGHT POP TO WWT MYSELF

Welcome Derek !!

DEREK.C. said:
I AGREE PAUL ITS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER,FORGOT HOW MANY TIMES I`VE PICKED IT UP. MIGHT POP TO WWT MYSELF

Hew lad
Nice to see you've found us......

Why dont you see if you can find your CAPS LOCK BUTTON as easily as you find them owls.............. ;)

Later
S

Combined Houghton area Local Patch List (3 observers & on foot only) currently totals 99 species.

Shoveller & Stonechat are two obvious ones still to see....

SE

Last edited:
Moving north

Singles of Pied Wagtail & Lesser Black backed Gull headed north over, while working at home.

It was approx this time last year i had LSW drumming nr Ch-le-Street. Im told GSW are now drumming regularly at well wooded central sites, so it may be worth a listen for the little wpkr if we get a fine , calm morning......

SE

chapman wells

A nice flock of Brambling this morning ay Morrowedge near Chap wells.

About 20 - 30 strong but mobile , lots of Beach trees in the general area so they should hang around ... first ones this year for me.

Paul Mc said:

Paul
glad you like the Lek.
This latest edition is the new editors second production & its great to see, as you & Derek suggest, the standards set by GNS have not only been maintained but improved upon.

It must be subsidised?
last year each member cost the club money....

But, this years rise in subs from £12 to £14 (the first rise in over 10 years !) sees all costs now adequately covered.

As with all aspects of club business, the key is Teamwork.

(this copy did in fact cost slightly more, due to unanimus committee agreement to use extra colour pages)

Steve

Last edited:
ted hilland said:
A nice flock of Brambling this morning ay Morrowedge near Chap wells.

About 20 - 30 strong but mobile , lots of Beach trees in the general area so they should hang around ... first ones this year for me.

H'lo Ted
Good find, not many about & nice to see they still get up there at Morrowedge plant'n.
I know someone checked for them there at new year & drew a blank... maybe just moved in?

Steve

StevieEvans said:
Paul
glad you like the Lek.
This latest edition is the new editors second production & its great to see, as you & Derek suggest, the standards set by GNS have not only been maintained but improved upon.

last year each member cost the club money....

But, this years rise in subs from £12 to £14 (the first rise in over 10 years !) sees all costs now adequately covered.

As with all aspects of club business, the key is Teamwork.

(this copy did in fact cost slightly more, due to unanimus committee agreement to use extra colour pages)

Steve

It also has to be said the colour enhances it and more than justifies the 4p per week extra subs ;-)

The reports and format were top notch - this depends on the input of the membership. I particulalrly liked the focus on the lesser-known areas. More proof if needed that the Birds of Durham would be a success.

PS 3 Waxwing at Saxon Way this am - Fieldfare, Redwing in same area

Parakeets still noisy at Ward Jackson Park, Hartlepool - actually outside the park where a couple were harrassing (or is that being harrassed by) a grey squirrel. It was the racket that made them easy to find.

No sign of Corn Bunting at Dalton Lodge - but apparently they're hit-and-miss.

Last edited:
Elemore golfcourse feeding station (which consists of some 3/4 ply wedged in a hawthorn has been great since new year.This weeks birds include 25 greenys 10 bullys 7 willow tits 4 reed bunts and loads of other titmice. the highlight was a lesser redpoll last week; although 20 siskin landed in nearby birch but didnt feed. No jack snipe around unlike last winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back