• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

A walk on the fell with the dog

Waldridge Fell this evening:

Green Woodpecker
Garden Warbler
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Yellow Hammer
Linnet
Lesser Whitethroat
Swift
House Martin
Long Tailed Tit
Swallow
Lapwing
Meadow Pipit

Are you out and about this w/end Stevie?

B :)

Last edited:
Hi John

Nice bit of info.
I remember hearing (that year) about an adult & fledged juvs in a culvert at C-L-St.
I thought they must have originated further upstream (Cong Burn).... obviously not.

It will be interesting to have a check to see if its a single pair only involved, (as Lambton Bridge is 1km away-far enough for more than 1 other breeding pair)
What about the stream at Lumley Castle?

The Lambton Bridge pair are very secure in block work & i think...?just above flood levels too.

Keep an eye & ear open for Leos at your work place over the next few weeks.
Skel.
Probably out early on Sat AM, may go N.Tees for Stints, ringu in morn.
SE.

Houghton Gate - now 5 COOTS. Amazing that such a common & resident species can show up unexpected like that. Only other time theres been 5 was briefly one winter.
Redshank scoped on nest (exactly same spot over last 3 visits
Lapwing juvs growing rapidly. Singles of LRP & Curlew.

Last edited:
Decided to try the woods next to the A167 before the railway bridge as you leave Chester on the way to Durham.

2 x Great Spotted Woodpecker
Yellowhammer
Long Tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Dunnock
Robin
Kestrel
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Song Thrush
House Martin
Swift
Oystercatcher
Magpie
Chaffinch
Blackcap

It's a nice little walk that takes you through a small wood and comes out at the back road from Chester to Newton Hall.

D O T T E R E L S

GOOD LUCK WITH THE WEB-SITE

SE

Attachments

• DOTTERELmaleDAVEB.jpg
    DOTTERELmaleDAVEB.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 311
  • DOTTERELfemMALCOLMHOBBS.jpg
    DOTTERELfemMALCOLMHOBBS.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
thanks stevie Hawthorn dene and others are good sites but dont think theyre in Tyne & Wear county not sure about Low Barns? Dont think ive been to that site?

Mark
Post #55 is the Tyne & Wear info for you.
There were 2 L.O's calling as i was feeding the baby at 3am today ;)

The other info (Post #59) are M.Tit sites outside T & W, in responce to Saltys post.

PS. (Low Barns is in Wear Valley wonderfull District at Witton-le-Wear.)

SE.

Monday
Crimdon
Only a dozen Little Terns,pair of RTDivers.
Finally had a look at the Temmincks pr at Calor gas, Port Clarence.

Last edited:
Skelly said:
Thought I'd create a new thread for those Birders in and around the Durham area, it'll probably go down like a lead balloon though.
Waldridge Fell was my birding choice for last night and tonight. Managed to get Green Woodpecker (1st for the year), Linnet, Yellowhammer, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Grey Partridge, Mallard, Swallow, Swift and a pair of Wheatears.
I had a solitary Red Kite last Tuesday at the Fell, flew off towards Gateshead.
I'm going to try Chester le Street riverside tomorrow, to see if I can get Kingfisher, Dipper, Goosander and Grey Wagtail.
I did have a Wheatear at the Riverside Sports Complex the other night, it was sitting on the skip next to the running track which was a pleasant surprise.
I will try to update every day, that's if I get the chance to get out birding.
Please feel free to post your sightings and words of wisdom.
Til the next time.

Has anybody mentioned Castle Eden Dene - magical and no many go there

mark ridsdale said:
stevie could you seen me that grid ref. for little owl in the houghton area will try Low Barns site for marsh tit cheers

Hi Mark

You might care to try Trow Quarry (Not Marsden Quarry itself) for the resident Little Owl - there is another site, near Ravensworth/Lamesley Water Meadows - though I don't know if that has been successful this year.

Steve

Cheers Quacker will do.Been birding more in your neck of the woods since found Gateshead birders web site mostly trying for lesser pecker at clara vale which i dipped but heard

the bird said:
Has anybody mentioned Castle Eden Dene - magical and no many go there

Sadly, Castle Eden Dene is not a well managed area as it was in the late 1800's when it really was a mecca for all naturalists.

Many people have been put of from going there in recent years, because of theft of, and from cars parked near the access points, and slashed tyres. Another danger is when passing under the viaduct from where the yobs drop bricks trying to hit you. If you do go there, take care.

Harry

mark ridsdale said:
Cheers Quacker will do.Been birding more in your neck of the woods since found Gateshead birders web site mostly trying for lesser pecker at clara vale which i dipped but heard

You heard it? - well that's enough for a tick in some cases. Depends on the individual, but some people count confirmed hearings - I don't personally, but if I heard a Lesser Spot.....

I still haven't seen one, I can't get my head around the concept of seeing a sparrow-sized woodpecker! - I'd probably miss it if it was in fromt of me lol.

Steve

Houghton Gate
Grey Partridge
Oystercatcher
Redshank
Curlew
Shelduck with young
Greylag Goose
Coot
Lapwing
Pheasant
Mallard
Wood Pigeon

Barmston Pond
Common Tern
Greylag Goose
Little Grebe
Ruddy Duck
Tufted Duck
Mallard
Gadwall
Swift
House Martin
Willow Warbler
Long Tailed Tit
Grey Heron
Mute Swan
Herring Gull
Coot
Moorhen
Magpie

harry eales said:
Sadly, Castle Eden Dene is not a well managed area as it was in the late 1800's when it really was a mecca for all naturalists.

Many people have been put of from going there in recent years, because of theft of, and from cars parked near the access points, and slashed tyres. Another danger is when passing under the viaduct from where the yobs drop bricks trying to hit you. If you do go there, take care.

Harry

If you enter Castle Eden Dene just off the Wingate to Blackhall road (near the castle) I can practically guarantee your car will be safe. Yes, I agree the entrance near the viaduct is a bit dodgy (I take it, you mean the one next to the A19). Also, the entrance on the Blackhall to Horden Coast road is really safe as well. I have spent many mornings and evenings birding in this dene, and it is an absolute pleasure to go there. There are so many different trails to walk along.

I aint no woolyback

"PS. (Low Barns is in Wear Valley woolyback District at Witton-le-Wear.)"

careful now Mr Owlman be careful who you be insultin

I live in WLW an I aint got no wooly back.

You do that again and I might ask my neighbours for some LEO recipes to send you! :eek!:

Paul F

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back