• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (31 Viewers)

Maybe it left a lasting impression ;)

I think it was on the move somewhere I have been a birder 3 years and have never seen Peregrine in Lumley so It was exciting! You have never seen 2 birders standing next to a car birding in lumley before am sure.:t:
Also Me an Ian headed to B Middleham where we had Little Egret.

Maybe we will get a Hobby next year over Rainton.
Pleanty of Dragonflies, it looks promising.

Still time yet this year!

The one at Cowpen Bewley was still around all afternoon. Definitely a different bird from last week. This one is much more brown on it's back and centre tail feathers more prominent. At first glance it's easy to dismiss as a Kestrel as from above the brown tinged back and blackish primaries resemble a Kestrel which to be honest I did myself until closer look at the photos I took of what I thought were two Kestrel tangling claws.

This afternoon it was mostly over the ploughed field on the north side of Claxton Beck. I was sat on top of the hill watching it hunt over the field inbetween roosting on the easterly of the twin pylons. Every now and again it flew towards the hill.

Loads of dragonflies around again this afternoon, mostly Migrant Hawker but a few Common Hawker, Common Darter, Ruddy Darter and Black Darter.

An added bonus was a juvenile Osprey flying through around 3.00pm.

Attachments

• IMG_3469ao.JPG
    IMG_3469ao.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3577ao.JPG
    IMG_3577ao.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3580ao.JPG
    IMG_3580ao.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3586ao.JPG
    IMG_3586ao.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3590ao.JPG
    IMG_3590ao.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
Still time yet this year!

The one at Cowpen Bewley was still around all afternoon. Definitely a different bird from last week. This one is much more brown on it's back and centre tail feathers more prominent. At first glance it's easy to dismiss as a Kestrel as from above the brown tinged back and blackish primaries resemble a Kestrel which to be honest I did myself until closer look at the photos I took of what I thought were two Kestrel tangling claws.

This afternoon it was mostly over the ploughed field on the north side of Claxton Beck. I was sat on top of the hill watching it hunt over the field inbetween roosting on the easterly of the twin pylons. Every now and again it flew towards the hill.

Loads of dragonflies around again this afternoon, mostly Migrant Hawker but a few Common Hawker, Common Darter, Ruddy Darter and Black Darter.

An added bonus was a juvenile Osprey flying through around 3.00pm.

Hello Ian, I'm Andrew Kinghorn.
I must compliment you Ian, You are an absolutly fantastic photographer.

Maybe we will get a Hobby next year over Rainton.
Pleanty of Dragonflies, it looks promising.

Several Hobby sightings in / around RMs this year (beginning with one before the end of April) we've probably our best year yet. ;)

Seems like IanF's got more Jam than Hartleys (as they say)....... photographs of 3 different Durham Hobby in a year :t:

IanF said:
....At first glance it's easy to dismiss as a Kestrel...<snip>.....
Know what you mean Ian, we did likewise at Lambton recently, a juv slowly floating through along the valley, although we concentrating slightly more on the HB going past at the same time !

CW reports RNParakeet at Bogs yestday.

It was the BTO Hanson Challenge on Greenabella Marsh today. I went for around three hours in the morning and managed 56 species.

Best bird seen was a Yellow-browed Warbler that gave tantalisingly brief views before eventually (an hour later) being trapped and ringed by Derek Clayton. Another remarkable species for here was a Great Spotted Woodpecker which almost went into the nets as well.

Noteworthy were the Pink-footed Geese with several large flights passing over - one alone of around 180 birds with maybe around 1,000 in total. Most were heading generally southwards - either SE or SW though at least one group were going NE! A flock of Pale bellied Brent Geese were on Seal Sands as well though too far distant for me with just binos to pick out.

A brief visit to Cowpen Bewley around 11:30 to check on the Hobby. Still present but much further away where a field was being ploughed/tilled yesterday. Nothing like so many dragonflies about this morning at least. Also only two Canada Goose present though another large flight of around 150 Pink-footed Goose passed over heading south.

Attachments

• IMG_3671bo.JPG
    IMG_3671bo.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3665ao.JPG
    IMG_3665ao.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 87
At the Local Patch...

Barn Owl heard but I couldn't see it this evening. Perfect habitat for it.
I'll keep looking for it and if I see it, you guys will be one of the first I tell.

Two Buzzard over Cowpen Bewley being mobbed by crows heading south. Also two Hobby's, Kestrel and a Blackcap seen there.

North Gare road Merlin sat on the fence about ten yards from us until it was chased off by a kestrel:eek!:.

Attachments

• Hobby 1.jpg
    Hobby 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 110
  • Merlin.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Kestrel.jpg
    Kestrel.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 100
Low Barns

Kingfisher was showing within 10 minutes of my arrival at the West Hide, and was quite active zipping around the lake. Settling from time to time on the poles until a sparrowhawk just missed taking it from the pole, this scared the kingfisher over to the other side and eventually to the river. There is at least a male and female here showing.
Snipe were also visible from the hide looking to the west.
Green Woodpecker, nuthatch, treecreeper, and Long tailed tits were also seen.
At Kinninvie another Green Woodpecker, Common Buzzard, and Sparrowhawk.
Between Staindrop and Ingleton another Common Buzzard was soaring over the road.

Attachments

• Kingfisher4web.jpg
    Kingfisher4web.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 74
  • kingfisher6web.jpg
    kingfisher6web.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 80
  • snipeweb.jpg
    snipeweb.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 89
A few of the Hobby at Cowpen Bewley yesterday. Image 4 not so clear, but shows the Hobby with It's prey.

Attachments

• _MG_1643.jpg
    _MG_1643.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 87
  • _MG_1655.jpg
    _MG_1655.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_1681.jpg
    _MG_1681.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 99
  • _MG_7166.jpg
    _MG_7166.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 140
  • _MG_7181.jpg
    _MG_7181.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 94
Got a good view of the Cowpen Bewley Hobby yesterday at around 4pm. It was very busy over the main pond catching 3 dragon flies in a 5-10 minute period. Also managed views of Yellow-browed Warbler in the trees in front of borough hall at Hartlepool headland (Dinner time) with a small gruop of Grey Plover on the rocks left of the Heugh battery in the morning, and a single Common Scoter having a wash and brush up about 150 yards off shore. Thank you to all of the birders in that area who provided much needed help and information.

Is that Mark Newsome ?

Yes

If you visit the Durham Bird Club website information on how to submit your sightings is available. It is a simple process and only takes a few minutes but adds to the overall picture of birdlife in the County.

As has been said before by greater minds than mine "knowledge is power"

Very brief views of Hobby at Cowpen Bewley W. Pk. this afternoon - maybe a bit too cold and windy as there were very few dragonflies about.

Common Buzzard, Little Egret and a small group of Pink-footed Goose passed over. Also 9-10 Swallow around the main pond. 81 Canada Goose on the pond today.

Attachments

• IMG_3823ao.JPG
    IMG_3823ao.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3824ao.JPG
    IMG_3824ao.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back