• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Houghton Non Motorised Photographic Local Patch 09

Spent the day in RM's deep freezer with frequent visits outside to get warmed up.
A few hours were spent in the delightful and pleasurable company of Stevie "I could have had that" Evans or more appropriately - Snapper Evans.
Leaving me in the company of the odd oyc and lapwing Snapper decided to wander around Joes Pond and fill his memory cards with Tawny owls and goldcrest - typical beginners luck ;) ;)

Had a try with a real camera on the patch today . . .
What a spot of luck, just happened to bump into the regions top wildlife photographer:t:
( Imagine how bad the results would have been otherwise . . . . . :-O )

Much milder than of late & several real signs of Spring (despite the wind chill factor in the hide)
Pair of Lapwings on territory at Fencehouses, with the male tumbling about in display.
Down at RM's 5 sets of Oystercatcher were active & vocal, a welcome sight after our first single overwintering bird (1 or 2 still showing winter neck collars - others stunning with bright bills). Decent selection on main pool, but no's down from yestday. JBee found a sleeping pair of Gadwall - very hard to come by here this year, probably only been noted on 5 or 6 dates this whole winter.
The Redpoll / Siskin flock were bouncing about all around the site as usual (@ 130 birds) - 3 Woodcocks lifted in close proximity while entering the bushes for a snap.
Out of the breeze around Joes, it was a top coat warmer, as they say in Consett. Good selection here with Goldcrest, Song Thrush, another 2Woodcock & a Tarny wol.
A few male birds were proclaiming territory here with Robins most common, Chaffinches sang as did a male Greenfinch - a v.good year for them here.
Three other species were noted in song, Willow Tit, Bullfinch & a cock Reed Bunting (my first singing one this year) put a few notes together, before flying off the join a small group.
Joes was best part ice free, with only a single drake Pochard & pr of Dabchicks of note.
Feeding lane was poor as paths were v.busy with the half term holiday, but a Yellowhammer added colour as it fed on the deck.
Returned to hide to fire away with the "happy button" at a pr of unsuspecting Pink feet. The boss said the light was no longer any good, so we ended our photo assignment with 62 species noted on site.
Steve

Attachments

• up & off.jpg
    up & off.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Tarnywol_crop.jpg
    Tarnywol_crop.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Bully_crop.jpg
    Bully_crop.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Flit flock_crop.jpg
    Flit flock_crop.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Lap_wing.jpg
    Lap_wing.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 85
Spent a couple of hours in the freezer hide at Rainton Meadows.

Appart from the regular greylag & canada geese, mallards, coots etc:
1 ruddy duck, 1 pair goosander, 1 fem goldeneye, 1 shell duck and at least 3 PF Geese which flew in with the greylags.

The P.F. geese being a first time photo for me :t:. If it wasn't for Denbee's recent report, I don't suppose I would have checked through all the greylags and noticed these, so! thanks to Denbbee :t:.

Ray,

Was that your picture of Rainton Meadows I saw on this evenings BBC North East News?

Ray

Cool neil,Dippers in Durham! I thought they were a midland and south speciality(I've seen them in Derbyshire years ago)

Dont dip the Dippers

Cool neil,Dippers in Durham! I thought they were a midland and south speciality(I've seen them in Derbyshire years ago)

Hi
In the UK Dippers are most often found along the tumbling streams in Northern & Western regions. ( "Top & Left half", imagine a line between the R.Tees & R.Exe ).
Neils 2 birds flying just upstream of Durham City are unusual as the R.Wear is deep & canal-like - ie they are out of their preferred habitat.

Im pretty sure there are one or two dippers living at Darlo too.;)

Neil, thanks for that report
Been struggling to see them on the Old Durham Beck nr Schincliffe Mill / Sherburn House over the past couple of years - (previously the only regular site to East of Durham City - breeding there even when it was polluted in late 70's / through the 80's) may be worth another check as they should be holding territory now.

Steve

Dippers

Woa, me love to see those!

I'm not sure about Darlington Dippers but I have seen them on visits to Croxdale Hall this year. Once from the main bridge over the river looking down stream, and once in the small stream just after the cattle grid on the road up to the hall.

Steve C

I'm not sure about Darlington Dippers but I have seen them on visits to Croxdale Hall this year. Once from the main bridge over the river looking down stream, and once in the small stream just after the cattle grid on the road up to the hall.

Steve C

Same place for me as well.

I dare say there's always the 'chance' for a Black-bellied Dipper in the eastern area which would be a very nice find in the County.

Neils 2 birds flying just upstream of Durham City are unusual as the R.Wear is deep & canal-like - ie they are out of their preferred habitat.

Looking through previous annual reports 2004 was the last time Dipper was reported in Durham City. Presumably they only use the main river systems to access more suitable habitat.

Today's best local patch birds;
Greenford Lane south of Lamesley;
Red-legged Partridge, Stock Dove, GS Woodpecker, Yellowhammer.
Birtley STW area;
Shelduck, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Willow Tit, Treecreeper & Lesser Redpoll.

Back to RM's freezer this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Nice bumping into Ross Ahmed :t:, yet another face to the name.

Much the same bird wise with 2 male goosander, no sign of the female, 3 goldeneye, ruddy duck, shell duck, teal, 5 gadwall, at least 5 cormorant, one with white on the wings, oyster catchers, redshank, lapwings, 2 pink footed amongst the greylags and canada geese.
Everything pretty distant today as the pond was fully thawed.

Attachments

• _74H2721.jpg
    _74H2721.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 60
  • _74H2743.jpg
    _74H2743.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 53
  • _74H2786.jpg
    _74H2786.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 58
  • _74H2883.jpg
    _74H2883.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 65
  • _74H2904.jpg
    _74H2904.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Quetion to all

While at RM's today all birds were flushed a couple of times, one of which I caught a glimps and poor photo of the predator as it sped past the hide and away towards the reeds. any Ideas as to what It Is ?.

Attachments

• _74H2776.jpg
    _74H2776.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 99
  • _74H2777.jpg
    _74H2777.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 108
Quetion to all

While at RM's today all birds were flushed a couple of times, one of which I caught a glimps and poor photo of the predator as it sped past the hide and away towards the reeds. any Ideas as to what It Is ?.

Sparrowhawk I think.

BirderBoy :hippy: peace

Quetion to all

Its a Sparrowhawk i would say it was a male.Good way to tell Sparrowhawks from Kestrels and other raptors is the way they fly Sparrowhawks have a flap,flap glide flight the only other raptor which has a similar flight action is Goshawk.Goshawks are much bigger birds and are much scarcer than Sparrowhawks.

Last edited:
Quetion to all

Great to meet you Scuzz.

Your bird looks like a Sparrowhawk.

Looking through previous annual reports 2004 was the last time Dipper was reported in Durham City.
Presumably they only use the main river systems to access more suitable habitat.

Today's best local patch birds;
Greenford Lane south of Lamesley;
Red-legged Partridge, Stock Dove, GS Woodpecker, Yellowhammer.
Birtley STW area;
Shelduck, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Willow Tit, Treecreeper & Lesser Redpoll.

Used to get regular wintering birds in the 80's on the stretch downstream of Durham City, (Kepier/Frankland down to Finchale/Cocken) but they never stayed to breed.
The Ch-le-Street / Lambton / Lumley Park pairs are a relatively recent phenomenon - possibly due to . . . ? ?

Nice selection on Your Patch Neil, are you totting them up as you go ? - although im surprised you managed to tear yourself away from the garden . . . .

johnmichael said:
. . <snip> . . I can confirm that Dippers are indeed present around Darlington.
Thanks John.
Not long now till Gos watching season
:t:

Last edited:

Nice selection on Your Patch Neil, are you totting them up as you go ? - although im surprised you managed to tear yourself away from the garden . . . .

Oh yes! 83 species so far this year within 3 mile from home.
Still discovering new areas of excellent habitat.

dippers in darlo area

Have seen dippers at broken scar and down to Blackwell bridge - they are not too unusual here. Although as you go further up river the streamier it gets and more likely that you will see them.
Coniscliffe, worlton lido and winston - up river from the bridge are very good too.
Best place I had them last year was at Barnard Castle (see pic).

Attachments

• Dipper2-original.jpg
    Dipper2-original.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 54
Houghton Non Motorised Local Patch 09

Back to RM's freezer this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Nice bumping into Ross Ahmed :t:, yet another face to the name..

Must have just missed you both. Got down late after waiting in for another boiler repair.
Whilst the main RM's pool is currently producing above average results, its the sections of mature scrub habitat that makes the place special.
A mixed group containing Willow, Coal, Blue & Great Tits, Goldcrest, Treecreeper were close to Joes. A pair of Jays tried to sneak through unnoticed.
A flock of 14 LTTits, although several have now split off into pairs.
The feeding lane held about a dozen Chaffinch, prGreenfinch & single Yellowhammer.
Bullfinches very evident in this habitat type - 3 cock bird singing, a min of a dozen birds noted today - most eating buds, but a pair taking S.F.hearts :t:
Lots of aggro between the Coots on Joes, where 2 drake Pochards preening & an adult Heron fished. - otherwise quiet here (gaping hole in hide roof suggests its not so quiet here on an evening....)
A redpoll/Siskin flock of approx 60 birds went over NW towards the factories & the impenetrable amenity planting.
Close by a Typha swamp held 6Common & 1Jack Snipe - i stuck to the path, but the first Snipe was close by & rather generously lifted the others . . . . unfortunately the auto focus wouldnt co-operate - poss as the light was poor ? so tried to manual focus but turned the zoom. Missed a nice close Kingfisher like this too . . .
Another Kestrel-less visit - amazing to think back to the 10-12 birds last winter....
A pair of Goosanders were right close in just before i left, but i'd run out of film by then.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back