• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (8 Viewers)

Great Lumley: Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Starling, Blue tit, Robin, Reed Bunting, Dunnock, Kestrel, Magpie, Canada Geese, Great tit, Yellowhammer, Sparrowhawk.

Bumped into Colin Wilson today and we had a walk around Rainton Meadows.
Rainton Meadows:
Skylark, Woodpigeon, Lapwing, Carrion Crow, Pheasant, Black Headed Gull, Coal tit, Long-tailed tit, Greylag Geese, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit 12!, Moorhen, Oystercatcher, Coot, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Godeneye, Goosander, Shelduck, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Redshank, Ruddy Duck, Teal, Goldcrest, Snipe, Grey Heron, Lesser Redpoll, Bullfinch, Jackdaw, Wren.

Also amongst Lesser Redpoll was one Mealy Redpoll seen by Colin Wilson. I think I saw it but Colin confirmed it.

Total of 50 species, 49 seen by me.

Last edited:
Didn't get out at all today - not birding anyway.

A Sprawk spent most of the morning in the garden. It was pretty restless moving between perches.

Well done on the shots Ian. How did you manage to keep it in the garden for so long :t:?

We too have a regular visitor but is usually very brief. Last summer created very mixed feelings about this one having to witness the catch of a young starling (squeals & all) dismemberment & feast. I was in awe of a perfect specimen of evolution coupled with the emotion of the newly fledged starling just starting out in life. Running commentry from my binoculared son in the bedroom ''heads off'' didn't help. I couldn't bring myself to rush for the camera :'D.

Managed to get a snap before xmas though as the 'dirty deed' was already done.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Sparrowhawk.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 84
Well done on the shots Ian. How did you manage to keep it in the garden for so long :t:?

We too have a regular visitor but is usually very brief. Last summer created very mixed feelings about this one having to witness the catch of a young starling (squeals & all) dismemberment & feast. I was in awe of a perfect specimen of evolution coupled with the emotion of the newly fledged starling just starting out in life. Running commentry from my binoculared son in the bedroom ''heads off'' didn't help. I couldn't bring myself to rush for the camera :'D.

Managed to get a snap before xmas though as the 'dirty deed' was already done.

A great result :t:

We get one in the garden just about every day of the week and occasionally even two together when one arrives and chases the other off. Mind you we've only just got one back after an absence of almost two weeks. We thought a cat must have gotten it but it looks the same bird.

Usually they just sit around eyeing up the feeders and bushes waiting for something to arrive. Now we just chase them off to give the other birds a chance to feed. Much as I like seeing them I'd rather have the smaller birds live a while longer could easily make do without the sprawks.

Hello everyone.
Thought some of you may be interested to know the first white-tailed eagle for 200 years has been reported in cumbria!:t:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7882040.stm
Click above to see the BBC article on it.
I know its not Durham but I thought people might be interested. Also I am white-tailed eagle mad, them being my favourite bird of all time! :-O
Andrew K

If you can't get to see any wild ones, see if you can talk your dad into taking you here http://www.falconrycentre.co.uk/ in the summer. My son's been on work experience there for a week, they have a pair flying in training.
Not the same, I know but if you love them that much.............

A great result :t:

We get one in the garden just about every day of the week and occasionally even two together when one arrives and chases the other off. Mind you we've only just got one back after an absence of almost two weeks. We thought a cat must have gotten it but it looks the same bird.

Usually they just sit around eyeing up the feeders and bushes waiting for something to arrive. Now we just chase them off to give the other birds a chance to feed. Much as I like seeing them I'd rather have the smaller birds live a while longer could easily make do without the sprawks.

A neighbour goes out chasing it off with a big stick :-O
I suppose if you attract the prey.........

If you can't get to see any wild ones, see if you can talk your dad into taking you here http://www.falconrycentre.co.uk/ in the summer. My son's been on work experience there for a week, they have a pair flying in training.
Not the same, I know but if you love them that much.............

Thank you for the information. I have actually seen:
3 White-tailed eagles on Mull.
3 White-tailed eagles on Skye.
2 White-tailed eagles on the East Coast - One near Blair Drummond number 91, One at Vane Farm number 93. - I know as I contacted East Coast eagles project and asked.:t:
(All above are wild birds)
I am even going this year to see some again on Mull.:t:
But thank you very much for the information it was very thoughtful. I can learn to drive now becuase I'm 17 so I might one day pop along to Kielder Bird Of Prey Centre there newest addition is a White-tailed eagle and you get to hold it! :eek!:

Saltholme, Monday:
Main Pond: RT Diver, 3 wigeon (1m 2f), 2 mallard(1m 1f), 50 + coot, 2 Mute swan, lots of BH and Herring gulls, ! pied wag (f).
Grassland: 1 Perigrine falcon(F), Lots of lapwings, 3 canada geese.
Hide: 3 teal (2m 1f) 1 pochard (m) 1 wigeon(m) 2 mute swan, Moorhen, 6 coot.
Feeders: 2 blue tits, 8 goldfinch, 2 reed bunt (1m 1f)
Hedge: 14 Linnets, 2 reed bunts (same as on feeders), 8 goldfinch, 3 chaffinch (m), 2 green finch.
Fly over: sparrowhawk and cormorant

A few shots from Hartlepool/Teesside today.

1 - Stonechat, Zinkworks Road.
2 - Grey Heron, North Gare.
3 - Curlew, North Gare.
4 - Cormorant, Ward Jackson Park.
5 - R.N. Parakeets, Ward Jackson Park.

Attachments

• _74H3113.jpg
    _74H3113.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 60
  • _74H3121.jpg
    _74H3121.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 56
  • _74H3156.jpg
    _74H3156.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 53
  • _74H3233.jpg
    _74H3233.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 58
  • _74H3287.jpg
    _74H3287.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 71
Thank you for the information. I have actually seen:
3 White-tailed eagles on Mull.
3 White-tailed eagles on Skye.
2 White-tailed eagles on the East Coast - One near Blair Drummond number 91, One at Vane Farm number 93. - I know as I contacted East Coast eagles project and asked.:t:
(All above are wild birds)
I am even going this year to see some again on Mull.:t:
But thank you very much for the information it was very thoughtful. I can learn to drive now becuase I'm 17 so I might one day pop along to Kielder Bird Of Prey Centre there newest addition is a White-tailed eagle and you get to hold it! :eek!:

Wow, put in my place there wasn't I :-O:-O

I Haven't manged to get up there yet but certainly are intending to.
I did visit Mull once, well before any birding days. Took the wife & kids as toddlers for the day, off the cuff, during a scottish holiday. Due to ferry prices for vehicles, left the car at the terminal thinking that buses would be regular. How wrong was I: Got off the bus in the middle of nowwhere for a wonder round, returned to the bus stop - hey ho 2 hrs wait. Luckily it was a nice day, sun out. Jellyfish the size of 10 gallon containers :eek!:& a few seals to entertain the kids 3:).

Did you manage to get any close views?

Wow Scuzz, great selection there! They could be selections from a David Attenborough program-very cosmopolitan! and R.N.Paras, they wild or captive? I'm surprised theyre this far north!

Wow, put in my place there wasn't I :-O:-O

I Haven't manged to get up there yet but certainly are intending to.
I did visit Mull once, well before any birding days. Took the wife & kids as toddlers for the day, off the cuff, during a scottish holiday. Due to ferry prices for vehicles, left the car at the terminal thinking that buses would be regular. How wrong was I: Got off the bus in the middle of nowwhere for a wonder round, returned to the bus stop - hey ho 2 hrs wait. Luckily it was a nice day, sun out. Jellyfish the size of 10 gallon containers :eek!:& a few seals to entertain the kids 3:).

Did you manage to get any close views?

"Wow, put in my place there wasn't I :-O:-O" Sorry, I didn't mean to sound nasty or anything. I'm very sorry if I did.:-C

"Did you manage to get any close views?"
I did actually. On skye I got about 10-15 feet away from one. (No exaduration)
The one I saw at Blair Drummond was relitavly close but still quite distant. It was about 100-200 meters away at the closest point when it was flying around.
I reccomend the Sea Eagle Boat Trip from Portree, Skye. I could actually here the wings as they went over the water of the White-tailed eagle.:king:

A few shots from Hartlepool/Teesside today.

1 - Stonechat, Zinkworks Road.
2 - Grey Heron, North Gare.
3 - Curlew, North Gare.
4 - Cormorant, Ward Jackson Park.
5 - R.N. Parakeets, Ward Jackson Park.

Nice pics Ray. A marked improvement on yesterdays rather grainy images.:smoke:

"Wow, put in my place there wasn't I :-O:-O" Sorry, I didn't mean to sound nasty or anything. I'm very sorry if I did.:-C

"Did you manage to get any close views?"
I did actually. On skye I got about 10-15 feet away from one. (No exaduration)
The one I saw at Blair Drummond was relitavly close but still quite distant. It was about 100-200 meters away at the closest point when it was flying around.
I reccomend the Sea Eagle Boat Trip from Portree, Skye. I could actually here the wings as they went over the water of the White-tailed eagle.:king:

Nasty? Not at all Andrew. Dry sense of humour have I:eat:
Thanks for the recommendation. Will get there one day.

Black Grouse in County Durham

I'm after looking for some Black Grouse soon and I don't know where to start. I've tried to access the site guide on the DBC site, but I can't access the page without DBC membership.

I don't mind joining up if I have to, but would it be possible for someone to point me in the right (or any!) direction?

Wow Scuzz, great selection there! They could be selections from a David Attenborough program-very cosmopolitan! and R.N.Paras, they wild or captive? I'm surprised theyre this far north!

Cheers Cyclops, from what I can gather , they've been around Ward Jackson park for the last 2 or 3 years. 6 seen today.

Black Grouse - Emblem of the DBC

I'm after looking for some Black Grouse soon and I don't know where to start. I've tried to access the site guide on the DBC site, but I can't access the page without DBC membership.

I don't mind joining up if I have to, but would it be possible for someone to point me in the right (or any!) direction?

Hi,
If you have £20, i can point you in the direction of the DBC Membership Secretary ;)

I wrote that particular DBC Site Guide & have cut & pasted a section of it here :-
(It contains site details which are widely known & already well established in the public domain.
If it sounds slightly authoritarian in parts, i'll let you know that visiting "birders" have actually walked onto the Langdon Lek on more than one occasion., emptying it in the process ! :eek!:)

Black Grouse 'lek' as part of their mating ritual, generally in spring. The lek is essential to the birds' breeding success, but they are easily disturbed. If this happens during the key period from April to early May, the birds may not mate at all.

Black Grouse need all the help that we can give them, so it is vital that we do all we can and at the same time present a responsible image to others, particularly those (for example landowners) on whose support the birds' future may rest. Please help this effort by being responsible and sensible when looking for these birds, taking care to avoid harming these wonderful but scarce creatures.

Code of Conduct for watching Black Grouse

Below is a Code of Conduct for watching Black Grouse in the county.
It sets out good practice that should be followed if you want to have a good chance of seeing the birds, while ensuring that they are not disturbed.

Please take the time to read the code of conduct before going out to watch these birds. You may like to print it off and take it with you.

1. View leks from a stationary vehicle.
2. Black Grouse pay little attention to vehicles that are parked at least 100 metres away.
3. Avoid approaching a lek on foot, as this usually disturbs the birds and may even stop females from entering the lekking area.
4. Arrive before daybreak. A vehicle stopping once it is light can disturb the birds. Stay in your vehicle and watch quietly through binoculars and telescopes. Get everything from the boot before your vigil! Don't start the engine until after lekking has wound down, usually about two hours after dawn. Alternatively, consider watching a lek in the evening.
5. Patience and respecting the needs of the birds will often be rewarded with good views of the birds interacting.
6. Avoid looking for Black Grouse after heavy snowfalls or severe winter weather when the birds are under stress.
7. Do not go looking for Black Grouse in heather or thick field vegetation, especially in young woodlands. If flushed, birds may fly into fences, with lethal consequences, or broods of young may become separated from the hen.
8. It is advisable not bring dogs into the field when you're watching grouse.

In addition to the Birdwatcher's Code of Conduct, there are some specific guidelines you should follow:

1. Ensure that you do not block access with your vehicle.
2. Try not to disturb nearby residents.
3. In the uplands, keep to footpaths, especially in June and July, when there may be nesting females and young birds present.
4. Ensure that you have permission before entering any private land.

NB: We hope that this voluntary code will be supported by DBC members and visiting birdwatchers.

When and where to see Black Grouse in County Durham

March and April are the peak months for Lekking birds, but birds are easily seen year round.

Teesdale
The hay meadows and pastures around Langdon Beck Hotel (NY8532) are in a good area for the species. The Langdon Common lek is perhaps the best known and can hold 20 or more Blackcocks. From the Hotel, drive west on the B6277 for 600 metres and turn off right on a minor road (signposted to St. John's Chapel, Weardale) for 500 metres. Park carefully on the roadside past the cattle grid. The lekking ground is in the valley on the right-hand side.

The minor road from Langdon Beck up towards Cow Green Reservoir can also hold birds.
They are also often present in the hay meadows around the secluded hamlet of Harwood-in-Teesdale.

Hope you find it helpful.
If you do, then why not consider joining DBC & help Study & Conserve County Durhams birdlife. (covers the old Watsonian Vice-County from Tyne down to Tees, overlapping the N.Tees area which is studied more assiduously by our colleagues at Teesmouth BC.)

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Steve, I've got £20 going so, yes, why not!

Membership in the post first thing in the morning!

Thanks again, really grateful.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back