• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (46 Viewers)

Saltholme today 25-2-2009.

Seen the following from 10:45am till 14.00pm

Little Egret x 3
Heron x 1
Sparrow Hawk x 1
Coots/Teals/Shell Ducks/Shoveler/Gadwall/Wigeon

Greatham Creek 15:00 pm

1 X Little Egret / Snipes / Teals / Lapwings .

Also Nice to meet Ian F .

Carl Gorse

Good to meet you as well Carl :t:

The feeders beside the hide seem to be working well attracting Goldfinch and Reed Bunting whilst we were there.

The pond was a little quiet with just the Little Egret and a Teal, Wigeon and Coot.

Photos: 1. & 2. Little Egret - 3. Reed Bunting - 4. & 5. Goldfinch

Attachments

• IMG_1477ao.JPG
    IMG_1477ao.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1501ao.JPG
    IMG_1501ao.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1547ao.JPG
    IMG_1547ao.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1591ao.JPG
    IMG_1591ao.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1511aao.JPG
    IMG_1511aao.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 56
Good to meet you as well Carl :t:

The feeders beside the hide seem to be working well attracting Goldfinch and Reed Bunting whilst we were there.

The pond was a little quiet with just the Little Egret and a Teal, Wigeon and Coot.

Photos: 1. & 2. Little Egret - 3. Reed Bunting - 4. & 5. Goldfinch

Thanks Ian , Nice Set of images . I have to say the feeding station today as been alot busyer than the past couple of days . With the Tables getting filled today brought more to the feeders.

May give the Billingham Country Park a try 2moro . With all the good reports ive read .

Regards
Carl.

Called at Durham yesterday for the dipper then onto Hartlepool & Newburn Bridge.
Pretty much the same at Newburn with oyster catcher, med gull, purple sandpiper, knot, sanderling, ringed plover, red shank etc.

Also called at Znkwks Road, not much here other than stonechat and the odd kestrel.

Nice meeting IanF again :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_2401.jpg
    _MG_2401.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 71
  • _MG_2548.jpg
    _MG_2548.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 74
  • _MG_2586.jpg
    _MG_2586.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_2623.jpg
    _MG_2623.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_2641.jpg
    _MG_2641.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 65
Beanies

Hello all,
can anyone give me a grid ref for the Bean Geese instead of "usual field off Moor Lane" please ? Hoping to catch up with them tomorrow.

Cheers, Mick Gibson.

Cowpen Bewery Country Park

Went to Cowpen Bewery Country Park

Feeding Station

Green Finch
Chaffinch
Yellow Hammer x 1
Tree Creeper x 1
Robin x 1
Blue Tit
Great Tit

Main Lake

2 Swans and a few Mallards

Other than that its been pretty quiet

Carl

Attachments

• _MG_7355.jpg
    _MG_7355.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_7346.jpg
    _MG_7346.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_7338.jpg
    _MG_7338.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 50
A Red-necked Grebe was showing well off the end of the pier at Hartlepool Headland this afternoon. It's been around for a couple of weeks but always distant when I've been there.

I'd just walked to the end of the pier when it came swimming over from the channel marker buoys towards where I was stood. It fished just a few metres away for close on an hour catching wrasse, dabs, sprats and a small crab. Repeatedly pestered by the gulls having to dive to avoid losing it's catch.

The usual waders were along the rocks - Purple Sandpiper, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Curlew plus Rock Pipit, Linnet and Pied Wagtail, Eider, Guillemot, Cormorant and Shag.

The Med Gull was flying backwards and forwards along the beach in the freshening winds.

Attachments

• IMG_2003aoo.JPG
    IMG_2003aoo.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1957ao.JPG
    IMG_1957ao.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1997ao.JPG
    IMG_1997ao.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2158aoo.JPG
    IMG_2158aoo.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2233ao.JPG
    IMG_2233ao.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 70
Seeing there is a thread on what is the greatest British rarity in the last 50yrs.I thought i would make a list of mega rarities which have been seen in the county and ask the question what is Co.Durham's greatest rarity in the last 50yrs.

Dusky Thrush,Hartlepool 1959
Long-toed Stint,Teeside 1982
White-tailed Plover,Cleadon 1984
Double-crested Cormorant,Teeside 1989
Baillon's Crake,Mowbray Park,Sunderland 1989
Amur Wagtail,Seaham 2005
Siberian Rubythroat,Sunderland 2006
Glaucous-winged Gull,Teeside 2008
My vote would be for Glaucous-winged Gull astonishing record for the county.

Last edited:
Seeing there is a thread on what is the greatest British rarity in the last 50yrs.I thought i would make a list of mega rarities which have been seen in the county and ask the
question what is Co.Durham's greatest rarity in the last 50yrs is it
My vote would go for Glaucous-winged Gull astonishing record for the county.

Same for me Martin :t:

Would I be right in thinking that Wynyard Woodland Park is the new name of Castle Eden Walkway?.

Graham

Yep! :t:

It's the southern end of the Walkway around the old Thorpe Theweles railway platform. The one with the visitor centre and an observatory. They renamed it a couple of years back.

Hello all,
can anyone give me a grid ref for the Bean Geese instead of "usual field off Moor Lane" please ? Hoping to catch up with them tomorrow.

Cheers, Mick Gibson.

This is the field where the geese were, and hopefully still there for you:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#map=54.94539,-1.39517|17|4&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:54.94398:-1.39792:17|sunderland%20road|

Hope this helps.

Hello all,

Cheers, Mick Gibson.

Waxy

The stubble filed is opposite the entrance to SAFC Academy to the west of the mian road and south of the road that leads to Boldon Flats - even you can't miss it as it is massive and filled with stubble (looks a bit like a 2nd winter stubble field but I'm pretty sure its just advanced 1st winterB :):smoke:;)

A Red-necked Grebe was showing well off the end of the pier at Hartlepool Headland this afternoon. It's been around for a couple of weeks but always distant when I've been there.

I'd just walked to the end of the pier when it came swimming over from the channel marker buoys towards where I was stood. It fished just a few metres away for close on an hour catching wrasse, dabs, sprats and a small crab. Repeatedly pestered by the gulls having to dive to avoid losing it's catch.

The usual waders were along the rocks - Purple Sandpiper, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Curlew plus Rock Pipit, Linnet and Pied Wagtail, Eider, Guillemot, Cormorant and Shag.

The Med Gull was flying backwards and forwards along the beach in the freshening winds.

Is there an end to your tallents? Not only a bird boffin, a sealife savvy as well. I had to google a couple of them creatures :-O

Great Grebe action shot :t:

Andy

A few pictures i have managed from my travels over the last week or two.

Attachments

• Blackhen 018.jpg
    Blackhen 018.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Spott Shank 006.jpg
    Spott Shank 006.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 77
  • white Front Brent 016.jpg
    white Front Brent 016.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 75
  • white Front Brent 004.jpg
    white Front Brent 004.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 63
  • trip 031.jpg
    trip 031.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 74
DBC/BTO Fieldworkers Meeting

Called at Durham yesterday for the dipper then onto .

Ray, many thanks for the Dipper information - an excellent record ! -
i'll send it into the County database, records like this are always welcome, but especially during an Atlas period.

Speaking of Atlas & Records...

Thursday March 5th 2009 (7:30PM) - DBC/BTO Fieldworkers Meeting at Durham City.

This year's joint DBC/BTO meeting of ornithological fieldworkers will take place on Thursday 5th March at 7.30 p.m. in Room CG91 on Durham University's Science Site.

NB:
The meeting is not intended only for those who are active fieldworkers at present, but for all those who feel they may want to participate at some stage, and for those who would like to know more about current and future surveys and about results from past survey work.

Access to the site is from the south side of Stockton Road at the top of the hill where the A177 enters Durham from Shincliffe and Houghall. Entering the Science Site at the eastern (Shincliffe) end, park on the left about 100 metres in and go into the building opposite by the main entrance.

Room CG91 is one floor down.
If the entrance barrier to the car park is down press the button and the security staff should grant you access.

This annual meeting is generally very well attended - All Welcome regardless of your ability / experience !
Its a great place to catch up with folks & find out whats going on ! - NB: peak activity for Goshawk, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker etc is just round the corner.....
Or why not come along & tell us which species you think would be worth surveying !

Further Detail att'd below

Cheers
SteveE on behalf of DBC P&S Group
Directions / queries ring Mob: 079 79 60 1231

Attachments

• fldwrk09.doc
    194.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
A few bits and bobs from various locations.

L-R Black tailed godwit, dipper, nuthatch, marsh tit, wren

Attachments

• black_tailed_godwit-00045.jpg
    black_tailed_godwit-00045.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 86
  • dipper-00131.jpg
    dipper-00131.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 94
  • nuthatch-00272.jpg
    nuthatch-00272.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 66
  • marsh_tit-00005.jpg
    marsh_tit-00005.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 84
  • wren-00332.jpg
    wren-00332.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 77
Seeing there is a thread on what is the greatest British rarity in the last 50yrs.I thought i would make a list of mega rarities which have been seen in the county and ask the question what is Co.Durham's greatest rarity in the last 50yrs.

Dusky Thrush,Hartlepool 1959
Long-toed Stint,Teeside 1982
White-tailed Plover,Cleadon 1984
Double-crested Cormorant,Teeside 1989
Baillon's Crake,Mowbray Park,Sunderland 1989
Amur Wagtail,Seaham 2005
Siberian Rubythroat,Sunderland 2006
My vote would be for Glaucous-winged Gull astonishing record for the county.

Speaking of rarities did anyone on here get the Duridge Bay Slender Billed Curlew? I am really interested to find out.

A few more general shots

L-R Tufty, stonechat, shoveler, lapwing, wigeon

Attachments

• tufted_duck-00083.jpg
    tufted_duck-00083.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 55
  • stonechat-00126.jpg
    stonechat-00126.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 50
  • shoveler-00040.jpg
    shoveler-00040.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 62
  • lapwing-00346.jpg
    lapwing-00346.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 55
  • wigeon-00143.jpg
    wigeon-00143.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back