• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (23 Viewers)

Cowpen Bewley feeding station

This is destined for IanF, but if any other BirdForumers can help me in the meantime I'd be really grateful.

Popped into Cowpen Bewley this afternoon and I was just wondering where exactly the fabled feeding station is. Surely it can't be the much-disturbed one by the car park?

Thanks in advance,
Ben.

This is destined for IanF, but if any other BirdForumers can help me in the meantime I'd be really grateful.

Popped into Cowpen Bewley this afternoon and I was just wondering where exactly the fabled feeding station is. Surely it can't be the much-disturbed one by the car park?

Thanks in advance,
Ben.

Lol! It foxes quite a few people.

Opposite the entrance to the car park there's a narrow gate in the chain link fence. There used to be a sign on the gate but it's now to the left side and not so obvious. The feeding station is through the gate and immediately to the left - just follow the wooden fence to reach the viewing slits.

Lol! It foxes quite a few people.

Opposite the entrance to the car park there's a narrow gate in the chain link fence. There used to be a sign on the gate but it's now to the left side and not so obvious. The feeding station is through the gate and immediately to the left - just follow the wooden fence to reach the viewing slits.

I'll have to give that a try one day, I'd certainly think that that area was out of bounds and dangerous to human health! Never thought the feeding station was in there. :king:

Thanks very much, Ian!

Belasis Avenue - 8.00 am - Greenland White-fronted Goose, Tundra Bean Goose and Pink-footed Goose with Greylag and Canada geese on the pipeline field. Also a white necked goose.

Hartlepool Headland - 2.00 pm - Glaucous Gull, Linnet x6, Rock Pipit x3, Pied Wagtail x2, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Redshank and Purple Sandpiper. Cormorant, Shag and Eider on the sea.

Back Saltholme - 3.00 pm - 'Snow Goose' type hybrid.

Photos: 1.- 3. Glaucous Gull - 4. Pink-footed Goose - 5. 'Snow Goose' type hybrid.

Attachments

• IMG_6644ao.JPG
    IMG_6644ao.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6697ao.JPG
    IMG_6697ao.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6694ao.JPG
    IMG_6694ao.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6582aoo.JPG
    IMG_6582aoo.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6929aoo.JPG
    IMG_6929aoo.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 69
Belasis Avenue - 8.00 am - Greenland White-fronted Goose, Tundra Bean Goose and Pink-footed Goose with Greylag and Canada geese on the pipeline field. Also a white necked goose.

Hartlepool Headland - 2.00 pm - Glaucous Gull, Linnet x6, Rock Pipit x3, Pied Wagtail x2, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Redshank and Purple Sandpiper. Cormorant, Shag and Eider on the sea.

back Saltholme - 3.00 pm - 'Snow Goose' type hybrid.

Photos: 1.- 3. Glaucous Gull - 4. Pink-footed Goose - 5. 'Snow Goose' type hybrid.

ian, i seen that hybrid snow goose thingy with all the canadas on the pond at warrior drive, seaton carew. i was going past on the bus at the time so couldnt take a picture. i wondered exactly what it was !

presumably the same bird

DS

ian, i seen that hybrid snow goose thingy with all the canadas on the pond at warrior drive, seaton carew. i was going past on the bus at the time so couldnt take a picture. i wondered exactly what it was !

presumably the same bird

DS

It could have been that one which was on Back Saltholme or there's another white necked goose around. More Canada Goose sized. It was on Belasis Avenue this morning. Of course there could be more.

Attachments

• IMG_6446ao.JPG
    IMG_6446ao.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6495ao.JPG
    IMG_6495ao.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 73
north gare

quick trundle up & down to North Gare in the twilight after work.
Great close up views of kestrel nr main entrance to the golf course, perching on fence posts & then hovering over rough ground nearby.
Little Egret visible on water north of the Gare road towards the golf course practice ground.

Plenty of wigeon, lapwing, and curlew
Anyone know if I might catch Whimbrel? (never seen before)

Anyone know if I might catch Whimbrel? (never seen before)

It's usually the last few days in April and the first week in May that I start seeing them.

The field by the Firestation roundabout - north west side of A1185 Seal Sands Road/Tees Road is usually a very good spot to see several close to the road.

Hi Whimbrels start to pass through our area in April and May but there have been Whimbrels in the county in March before.There was one on Seal Sands 16.3.95.

Birdguides has several sightings around the country from Cornwall through to Orkney since Mid-Feb so 'eyes peeled'.

On the Birdguides subject, Crossbill at Thornley Woods hide today.

:t:Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back