• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (29 Viewers)

You've done alright there Martin. Give me a ring if you get any passage waders there or thereabouts - on #132 and still waiting for Dunlin, Greenshank, Ruff - Speaking of which, the Lamesley one is a belter, colourful male with a neck ruff.
Will do Steve as you said the other pond looks good for waders.I would'nt be surprised if a Wood Sand turns up or even a Temminck's Stint.Also went to Hurworth Burn today and while driving along not far from there had cracking views of a Tawny Owl right out in the open perched on top of a roadside bush.

Goosander quite a regular there of some years, since the river has substantially improved, only out of place if qeuing for an ice cream 3:).

Keep your eyes open for Kingfisher as well. A couple of years back I watched one for 20 minutes fishing on Victoria Embankment, of all places, 20ft from the ring road :eek!:.

Ooh not seen a Kingfisher for years,not since I lived near Wolverhampton! Would be nice to see one.

Ooh not seen a Kingfisher for years,not since I lived near Wolverhampton! Would be nice to see one.

Saw 2 pairing up (?) a couple of weeks ago along the Tees, midway between Blackwell & Broken Scar. Have a walk down, you might be lucky. Oh, Otters as well.8-P

Timber Beach,0445-0620;
Cormorant
2 Mute Swan
4 prs Shelduck
2m1f Mallard
m Kestrel
pr Oystercatcher
Common Sandpiper
9 Turnstone
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-Backed Gull
Common Tern
Woodpigeon
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Grasshopper Warbler reeling from pallion
2m Blackcap
2 Whitethroat
5 Willow Warbler
2 Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Linnet
Bullfinch

Houghton Gate this evening - 2 LRP, 1 Common Sandpiper.

I wonder, Mr. Evans, who will get the first ultra-rare migrant at this under-rated site.

Last edited:

I wonder, Mr. Evans, who will get the first ultra-rare migrant at this under-rated site.

I can assure you it won't be me;) I always seem to miss the rare birds.
I went to go and look for the Red Rumped Swallow but left to early and missed it. Oh well thats the way it goes.

Pink-footed goose and Chester I presume this will be an escapee. Also about 10c Swift about and 2 Sand Martin.

I can assure you it won't be me;) I always seem to miss the rare birds.
I went to go and look for the Red Rumped Swallow but left to early and missed it. Oh well thats the way it goes.

You weren't the one who got a lift in the Mini on Wednesday Andrew were you? - I recall it returned shortly after then. Ouch! In fairness, it would be dull if they were all there all the time.

I missed the Whiskered - I'l enjoy them better next time lol.

DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve

Bishop Middleham
Castle Lake Nature Reserve:
A Good selection as usual, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

A selection of those seen include -
8Swift, 5LRPlover, 1Pochard, 5+Wheatear, 1Curlew, Green Woodpecker, 2Golden Plover, 4GCGrebe, prStock Dove, 8Dabchick, 2male Corn Bunting, 1Peregrine, prGrey Partridge, 4YellowWagtail, 3Shoveller, 1Common Buzzard, 5Shelduck, 2Tree Sparrow, 3Cormorant

50 odd species seen from the hide.:t:

The Corn Bunting would be singing strongly close to the hide - mostly instantly obvious, although several times he sang from the ground - first time ive noted this.
A single House Martin collected mud for his nest

On a less positive note, at least 3 visitors disregarding the interpretive materials & signs & walking close to the Lake, resulting in incubating birds coming off the nests.:C

Last edited:
You weren't the one who got a lift in the Mini on Wednesday Andrew were you? - I recall it returned shortly after then. Ouch! In fairness, it would be dull if they were all there all the time.

I missed the Whiskered - I'l enjoy them better next time lol.

Yep that was me. It was my Mum. I can't drive yet, I am learning to drive had my second lesson today. So it was me and my Mum.:t:
Can I ask in minutes roughly how long after I left did it arrive?

Im not sure, young Master Hall - hopefully it'll be you.

Its one of those little but often sites - ive called in 3 times over the course of a day & seen 3 different sets of birds . . .
(just read about a patcher in Cambridge who recently found a Black Winged Stilt on his 3rd visit of the day to his patch !)

its often worth a check after a real heavy rain storm - once had 50 Redshank & a Knot ditch down together.

Keep at it, Good Luck !

Last edited:
Crimdon Dene - am - Little Tern x3 feeding offshore.

Hartlepool Headland on Parton Rocks - only waders present were Turnstone x11 and Ringed Plover x2. Oystercatcher c.20 and Eider x8 in the harbour.

Seaton Common - Yellow Wagtail x5 feeding alongside the road plus at least another two from Zinc Works Road. Wheatear c.20, Linnet, Goldfinch, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Redshank x4, Lapwing, Canada Goose x5, Greylag Goose x3, Little Egret x1, Grey Heron x1.

Stonechat x5, Whitethroat x2, Sedge Warbler x1 also along Zincs Works Road with Swallow x4 and House Martin x2.

Avocet x20 at Saline Lagoon including three chicks. Apparently they hatched yesterday sometime. Also present Redshank x2, Lapwing x4, Shelduck x2, Canda Goose x2, Pied Wagtail, Coot, Moorhen.

Whimbrel x1 in flight along Greatham Creek and another two by the firestation roundabout.

Attachments

• IMG_7205ao.JPG
    IMG_7205ao.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7264ao.JPG
    IMG_7264ao.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7833aoo.JPG
    IMG_7833aoo.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8007ao.JPG
    IMG_8007ao.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8025ao.JPG
    IMG_8025ao.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 59
I spent an excellent half day at Tunstall Reservoir and Muggleswick on Wed.

On entering the woodland at Tunstall I was met immediately by a pair of G S Woodpeckers, but the bird of the day was the Redstart. I had excellent views of a pair flitting back and forth in the trees and then found the male of another pair. Also found my first Common Sandpiper of the year. Lost count of the number of Treecreepers about.

Came across Orange Tip Butterfly on the way to Muggleswick and Speckled Wood on arrival. Excellent sighting of a pair of Pied Flycatchers. Tawny Owl and Sparrowhawk also in the woodland area.

The Wood Sorrel was abundant in the Tunstall woods and I found a patch of the pink variety. Anyone able to tell me if this pink variety is quite rare in the area?

My targets had been Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler. I settled for 2 out of the three.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 59
rose coloured specs

Browney Valley around Malton:

An old haunt of mine, still loads of birds.
Common Buzzard was the first bird i saw - not even annual when i was a regular here.
But there are some obvious declines, eg Redpolls & Moorhen, and no sign at all of any Pied Fly or Tree Pipits.
5 singing male Redstarts (1 flycatching over the Browney on the first bend downstream of Waters Meet) 2singing Cuckoo, 2Garden Warbler - both on the dwt reserve- but no Gropper here, 1Lesser Whitethroat singing on the railway line,
male Green Woodpecker + another yaffling, 7+Siskin, a Woodcock walked over a woodland track, 2Nuthatch, 7+Treecreeper, 1male Lesser Redpoll,
Kingfisher at nest, 5Dipper inc a fledged juv & male feeding his mate & nest building, 5Grey Wagtail - 2pr taking food to the nest, a couple of Herons went up & down the valley, but only 2Moorhen seen (mink?).
3Bullfinch, 2Willow Tit, 2 cock Reed Buntings singing in the Swg Wks Phragmite bed, & downstream a Little Owl in a traditional Oak.
No sign of any Swifts in the Valley, although all 3 hirundines were present in small numbers.
Checked former regular nest sites of Goosander, Tawny Owl & Kingfisher all gone courtesy of mother nature.
Had hoped for Spotted Flycatcher today but it was cool & breezy & may have missed them.....

Rainton, Pool2:
Called in for 10mins on way home; view from from the 'freezer' was quite productive for a change !:-
2Whimbrel roosting, 3Common Sandpiper, 1Swift & Cuckoo watched singing in the rain.

Last edited:
7 little terns 6pm crimdon dene ( 3 seen earlier today )

great crested grebe, whitethroat, linnet, swallow and house martin seen earlier today.

little tern breeding area gets fenced off wednesday. there is also a activity day 12 - 3pm on sunday the 17th which seems to be aimed at little uns with rock pool exploration and crafts and a chance to visit the tern hut and see what the wardens are upto during breeding season.

Is the spoonbill still present around Teesside ? I was thinking about paying a visit, and I was wondering if it was still there.

was still there last wednesday, the volunteer in the hide said it disapears for different periods of time they think its gone then it comes back again. if you visit soon and spend enough time there theres probably a good chance of seeing it

last sighting on the tmbc page is from 30/4

DS

Im not sure, young Master Hall - hopefully it'll be you.

Its one of those little but often sites - ive called in 3 times over the course of a day & seen 3 different sets of birds . . .
(just read about a patcher in Cambridge who recently found a Black Winged Stilt on his 3rd visit of the day to his patch !)

its often worth a check after a real heavy rain storm - once had 50 Redshank & a Knot ditch down together.

Keep at it, Good Luck !

Mr Ahmed found a Yellow browed Warbler in Trow Quarry a year or two back ...also on his third visit of the day....in my opinion if you keep watching the same site day after day eventually you'll find something out of the ordinary. It may not be a mega rarity but, trust me, it will be all the sweeter because of the time you put in on previous visits.

Yep that was me. It was my Mum. I can't drive yet, I am learning to drive had my second lesson today. So it was me and my Mum.:t:
Can I ask in minutes roughly how long after I left did it arrive?

Can't recall the exact time you left mate, but the bird re-appeared at 17.35 - couldn't have been by too much.

Did you catch up with the Spoonbill? - I (probably foolishly) advised your mum it was nailed to the same spot and you couldn't miss it! - at least I think it was your mum I was discussing the Spoonbill with (too much talking not enough birding).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back