• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (34 Viewers)

4-5 Garden Warbler at Tilery Wood/A689 yesterday lunchtime. All within 100m of the scout hut.

Numerous Willow Warbler, Robin, Wren and Chiffchaff calling plus Goldcrest and Coal Tit.

Photos: Garden Warbler

Attachments

• IMG_2199ao.JPG
    IMG_2199ao.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2155ao.JPG
    IMG_2155ao.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2275ao.JPG
    IMG_2275ao.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2186ao.JPG
    IMG_2186ao.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 64
Good views of a Barn owl out hunting over the fields just off Potterhouse Lane - Pity me (from Sainsbury's retail park roundabout enter potterhouse lane pass the Tip on the left and the poultry Farm + Bungalow on the right to small wooded area on Right - excelent views at 8.30PM last night - it was still very light then - if only i had a camera!

David A

J.Hare said:
. . . <snip> . . . On the beach was a Oysercatcher with an abnormal sized beak.
maybe it wants to be a Curlew when it grows up ?
i thought they only had the white neck collar during winter . . . ?

Good views of a Barn owl out hunting over the fields just off Potterhouse Lane - Pity me (from Sainsbury's retail park roundabout enter potterhouse lane pass the Tip on the left and the poultry Farm + Bungalow on the right to small wooded area on Right - excelent views at 8.30PM last night - it was still very light then - if only i had a camera!

David A

Nice.
Used to live at Pity Me. BO used to breed there, but their barn was demolished prior to Arnison centre construction.
Know that lane well - Theres often a Little Owl in the roadside Birch trees, where you describe your Barnie.

Not so Nice.
1 roadkilled Barn Owl on A19 nr Testo's roundabout. (per DSc)

Four Black Tern reported on Back Saltholme this morning. Down to three by the time I got there at 10.45 but they remained at least until I left at 14.30.

Also of note present on Back Saltholme - Pink-footed Goose, Barnacle Goose, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper.

At least one other Barnacle Goose on Paddy's Pool where an Iceland Gull had been present first thing before being chased away but BH Gulls. Probably the same one as seen at the Wildlife Watchpoint yesterday morning.

Photos: 1.-3. Black Tern - 4. Barnacle Goose - 5. Pink-footed Goose

Attachments

• IMG_2352ao.JPG
    IMG_2352ao.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2589ao.JPG
    IMG_2589ao.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2976ao.JPG
    IMG_2976ao.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2535ao.JPG
    IMG_2535ao.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2541ao.JPG
    IMG_2541ao.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 55
A few pics i have managed over the last month.

Attachments

• Bar wit 008.jpg
    Bar wit 008.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 80
  • bardsf 007.jpg
    bardsf 007.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Cuckoo 004.jpg
    Cuckoo 004.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 100
  • dunegret 005.jpg
    dunegret 005.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Grass oper 011.jpg
    Grass oper 011.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 84
Black Tern still showing well at 3:00pm, still present when myself and MarkN left, glad I have finally met MarkN
Another lifer for me, I am sure I saw another tern there most likely a common tern. Was to busy looking for the Black Tern.
Don't worry I didn't get a cracking photo of the bird using my mobile phone through my scope;)
Finally thanks to SteveE for the head's up about the bird:t:

Last edited:
Black Tern still putting on a good show at Herrington CP @17:50
Great to meet MalR, another BirdForum member ticked off :t:

On to Houghton Gate but nothing out of the ordinary 'til 18:30, highlight was four overflying Mistle Thrush together.

Black Tern still putting on a good show at Herrington CP @17:50
Great to meet MalR, another BirdForum member ticked off :t:

On to Houghton Gate but nothing out of the ordinary 'til 18:30, highlight was four overflying Mistle Thrush together.

Very nice to meet you too, Neil. Always good to put a face to a name. Sorry I had to dash off, but as I said, I was my daughter's taxi driver this evening. I called back into the park on the way home and the tern was still showing well at 7pm.

Thanks to Stevie Evans for the text alert in the first place.:t:

Malcolm

Saline Lagoon in the evening - Loads of Avocet again with seven chicks now. Lapwing with chicks as well. Also present Redshank, Canada Goose, Common Tern, Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Shelduck, Curlew, Swallow, Swift, Yellow Wagtail, Goldfinch and Common Whitethroat.

Attachments

• IMG_3196ao.JPG
    IMG_3196ao.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3378ao.JPG
    IMG_3378ao.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3316ao.JPG
    IMG_3316ao.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3433ao.JPG
    IMG_3433ao.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2435ao.JPG
    IMG_2435ao.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 59
A few from around Hetton Lyons area today.

Attachments

• _MG_0051.jpg
    _MG_0051.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_9851.jpg
    _MG_9851.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_9880.jpg
    _MG_9880.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_9911.jpg
    _MG_9911.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_9996.jpg
    _MG_9996.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 58
Garganey pair asleep on small Island, wader lake, Washington WWT @13:00.

Attachments

• 17052009 020.jpg
    17052009 020.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 91
DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve

The Official opening of DBC's Castle Lake Nature Reserve is next Sunday morning.

Sunday 24th May at 10AM.

Keys available on the day - £5.
(will edit to add directions to hide.............)

This past week :-

Another new species for the reserve:- 2 Turnstone went through (JO / JH), allways a good bird to find inland.

Others this week include :-

Blue Headed Wagtail (2 dates)
7+ Yellow Wagtail well into breeding now
3 pr GCGrebe
2m1f Pochard
3m1f Shoveller
couple of pairs of Shelduck
2 pr of Canadas with freshly arrived goslings (2 & 4)
male Corn Bunting singing almost non stop very close to hide, with a couple of others close by.
A passing Greenshank, visiting 3 of the local pools
Other passerines coming to feed close to hide include Blackbird, Chaffinch, Linnet, Great tit, Collared Dove, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer.
1 pr of Oystercatcher breeding on nesting island
Little Ringed Plovers giving us the run around . . . 5 individuals present yesterday, but exact situation unclear . . .
couple of pairs of Lapwing
Lots of Swifts this last week & varying numbers of the 3 hirundines - 1 male Swallow coming very close to hide windows.
Also pr of Mute Swan, Curlew, Redshank, Whimbrel, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Little Grebes, several Coots nesting, Herons regularly floating over from nearby colony, Moorhen, Gadwall probably commonest wildfowl species,
Couple of adult BHGulls - possibly another colonist ?
Loafing, non breeders include up to 3Cormorant & Common, Herring & LBBGull.

One notable omission is Common Tern - hopefully they'll turn up soon.

Location of Hide :-
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=762&ax=432740&ay=530718&lm=0

NB: Sole access to the Hide is via this stile (prominent Black & White sign here)
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=762&ax=432677&ay=530874&lm=0

Parking (outside farmyard)
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=762&ax=432732&ay=531260&lm=0

Parking (the green triangle at Foulmarts Lane)
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=762&ax=432634&ay=531328&lm=0

Last edited:
Seaton Common this morning - Yellow Wagtail, Wheatear, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Reed Bunting, Lapwing, Linnet.

From Zinc Works Road - Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Stonechat, Linnet, Dunnock.

Another three Lesser Whitethroat at Cowpen Bewley W.Pk as well appearing to have set up territory.

Greenabella Marsh - Whinchat still present.

Photos: 1. Lesser Whitethroat - 2. Common Whitethroat - 3. Wheatear - 4. Yellow Wagtail - 5. Whinchat

Attachments

• IMG_4209ao.JPG
    IMG_4209ao.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3966ao.JPG
    IMG_3966ao.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3962ao.JPG
    IMG_3962ao.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4139ao.JPG
    IMG_4139ao.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3982ao.JPG
    IMG_3982ao.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 75
Transport Link

DBC's Castle Lake Nature Reserve

how does one get there on public transport?

Hi
The reserve is just south of Bishop Middleham Village.
This link may be useful if you need to plan a regional journey by public transport

http://www.durham.gov.uk/pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=902

If you can get to Durham City Bus Station on Sunday morning for 08:45, then the first bus to Bishop Middleham is the Arriva service 56A - getting you the Cross Keys in Bish Midd for 09:24 - less than a mile walk from there - should get you to the most comfortable hide in Northern England by 10AM.

cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Houghton Local Patch 09

Passage migrants this morning in the far east of our Houghton study area include singles of Wood Sandpiper & Whinchat, in the Seaton Ponds area.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back