• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (8 Viewers)

I have indeed, being so big and having the ingrowing toe nail has kept me off my feet for most of this year, but the nail is sorted, just got to start getting the muscles working in the legs again as they have forgotten how to work, hope the rails come back this year, saw my first one at the bogs last year in june.

:cool:

There was a toilet there the other day but someone flushed it ;)

Musta been the Papps that flushed it with their big, noisy lenses.;)

-

Down Sedgeletch this morning - full of birds
3 or 4 Kingfisher very active, passage migrants included Swift, Yellow Wagtail, Spotted Flycatcher with a nice Redstart at the bottom of our housing estate on the way there.

Other moving through Hetton Houghton patch today include :-
Lesser Whitethroats at New Lambton, Morton Wood & Sharpley
Wheatear & Greenshank nr Leamside, Ruff & Green Sand nr Hetton, Whinchat, Dunlin & Swift at Rainton.

Steve/Mick/Colin.

When are you gonna get that Hetton Bogs feeding station back into operation then John, you lazy old g#t . . . ?

(You can put me down as a willing volunteer.)

Amazingly, one of this years birds "Mallachie" has crossed the R.Wear at Bishop Auckland at the same spot as "Nethy" did last year.

Aye, managing not to stop off at Low Barns for refreshments, as does most interesting birdlife ;)

Watched one go north from the comfort of our garden lounger this spring:king:
I remember that dodgey garden tick:-O
They're crossing the Tees closer to Darlo every year, looking forward to a direct flyover :eat:- fat chance no doubt.

There was a toilet there the other day but someone flushed it ;)

It'll have been that damn Armatage Shanks, he's always hanging around the bogs:-O

When are you gonna get that Hetton Bogs feeding station back into operation then John, you lazy old g#t . . . ?

(You can put me down as a willing volunteer.)
No one wants that more than me Steve - after all it's my photographic haven/paradise.
At the moment though it doesn't make sense to do anything to it considering it had been found recently by the scumbags who vandalised it.
If they see work being done to it they will just undo it again.
It's in a very vulnerable location that cannot be watched over day and night.

No one wants that more than me Steve - after all it's my photographic haven/paradise.
At the moment though it doesn't make sense to do anything to it considering it had been found recently by the scumbags who vandalised it.
If they see work being done to it they will just undo it again.
It's in a very vulnerable location that cannot be watched over day and night.

Thats okay John - i have a couple of slack weeks & was looking for something productive to fill in those monotonous weekdays . . .
Nevermind, guess i'll have to make do with a bit Local Patch birding to fill in all that free time instead ;)

Summer gradually slipping away . . .

After yesterdays Autumn collection of Jay, Goldcrests, Repolls & Golden Plover, today it was a Robin singing his winter tune, a timely reminder of the seasons change.

We watched a skein of Greylags came over south this morning, right high up. Certainly appeared to have come a fair distance, although in all probability they'll have been encouraged to move on after the first day of the shooting season.
Out of the breeze, almost every clump of bushes contained a few warblers, very busy fattening up before they make their move.
Hard to imagine that in a couple of weeks we'll be looking at our first winter thrushes.

Local Patch

Weather no too bad this morning, despite the forecast

Joes Pond area
- lots of birds out of the breeze in the waterside Willows & thorns including an adult "reed type warbler" still feeding 2young at NZ326488.
It had me wondering for a while as it was nowhere near reeds, feeding in tall waterside vegetation & within the canopy of a semi mature Ash tree, and sang in a low sub-song doing loads of mimicry . . . a quick call to an anonymous Pasta eating bird club official who put me right.
There was another Reed Warbler juv close by.

Very difficult to get accurate counts as birds moving about all over, but 2juv Sedge Warbler, easily 15+Chiffchaff with 1 singing, 6Common Whitethroat, 1-2juv Garden Warbler, 2m1fBlackcap, 1Jay, 5-6Willow Tit, 1Treecreeper, 1Goldcrest, 1Spotted Flycatcher in the large Willows at end of boardwalk.

Hate / Love relationship continues at Rainton Meadows, usually HATE when there a gust blowing, but today was again quite good.
On the main pool :-
2juv Little Ringed Plover, which were on the far bank out of the wind, but a male Peregrine came through north chasing gulls/ Lapwings & shuffled the pack - the 2 plovers landing right in front of the hide ! - as the falcon came over a Greenshank appeared from nowhere calling loudly - it had presumably been roosting hidden amongst the loafing ducks & geese.
Others from the freezer included 14Snipe, 1Grey Wagtail, 1Heron, no Swift today, 8Sand Martin, femPochard, MrRudworth, 3Gadwall, 2Shoveller, 1GCGrebe, 16Teal.
1Redstart gave itself up on call, as it loosely associated with a wandering band of Blue & LTtits close to the purple nest box in the usually sterile GNF plantation. A high flying Jay went over here too making a racket.
Good nos of Swallows moving south today with the wind behind them till mid morning, whilst the local ones still breeding generally flew the opposite way - hunting into the wind.

Steve

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the password for the Bird News on the DBC website ? I haven't received the most recent Lek, so I can't view the page.

Thankyou.

If you email the Membership Secretary (Steve Addinall), he'll let you know and will also arrange for you to get a replacement copy of the last Lek, if you never received yours. His email address is on the DBC website.

The "Birds in Durham 2008" annual report is now out so you should be getting this through the post next week too.

Mark

A phew picks from a round the Count tea from a round a month oar too back ;)

Attachments

• Black Tern 004.jpg
    Black Tern 004.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 93
  • risggf 011.jpg
    risggf 011.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 82
  • Spot 021.jpg
    Spot 021.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Nutter 002.jpg
    Nutter 002.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 81
  • bacsalt 002.jpg
    bacsalt 002.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 76
damp day

Good news,
young Matt now has :-
his missing LEK
his new 2008 County Bird Report (covering the whole Tyne to Tees region) AND
his shiny brand new key for Castle Lake hide. :t:

DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve(13:30-14:30)

The benefits of a spacious & comfortable (water-proof) observation hide especially appreciated this afternoon:-

53Snipe 1Green Sand 1Redshank 8Greenshank 1Curlew 7Ruff
4juvYellow Wagtail 2-3Grey Wagtail 15+Pied Wagtail (poss an adult White wag ?)
12Shoveller 400+Greylag
2Swift 45+Sand Martin 120Swallow
1Wheatear.

whilst nearby

A1 Flashes / Low Hardwick area (14:30-16:30)

1,100Lapwing 1Golden Plover 1Ringed Plover 2Green Sandpiper 9Ruff 14Snipe 7Curlew
1Kingfisher 1juvBuzzard preening on fence
173+Teal 9Gadwall 7Shoveller Dabchick with young on its back & a whopping 567Greylag Goose
3Swift 40House Martin

A soggy Gateshead area this morning (this area also constitutes County Durham, as the old Watsonian Vice County boundaries are used for natural history recording purposes)
Shibdon Pond
drake Gadwall 24Shoveller 136Teal 1Wigeon 8+Dabchick 10Tufted 4Heron nilSnipe 1Kingfisher & juv Water Rail both nr inlet stream in west corner.
15Swallow 2Sand Martin 1juvSedge Warbler passed in front of hide juvCommon Gull.

Lamesley Meadows
2Snipe 2-3Redshank 4Teal 4Sand Martin 1Common Buzzard nr Angel 1Common Whitethroat femSparrowhawk prStock Dove 10LBBGull 5M.Pipit.

(key for hides at last 2 sites are available via Thornley woodlands centre)

Steve

Last edited:
Good news,
young Matt now has :-
his missing LEK
his new 2008 County Bird Report (covering the whole Tyne to Tees region) AND
his shiny brand new key for Castle Lake hide. :t:

Thankyou. :clap:

-----------

On Thursday, I had a walk from the Floaters Mill Pub to the Smiths Arms Pub. Despite the mud and a bit of rain, it was an enjoyable walk and I saw some really nice birds as well. Kingfishers were often seen flying up and down the river, and a pair alerted me to their presence with a very high-pitched squeaking noise. I probably wouldn't have noticed them if they hadn't been calling to each other because I was watching a Dipper at the time, which was - surprise surprise - dipping in the water feeding on something.
One of the highlights of the walk was in one bush which held a whole throng of different birds; circa. 25 long tailed tits which weren't bothered about our presence, a chiffchaff, a treecreeper, great tits and blue tits were also in this single bush. Watching these little birds offered us a respite from the rain that was coming down.
I don't know if anyone walks along that stream, but it is just behind Houghton Gate. From my Ordnance Survey map, I've heard this walk is part of the Great North Forest route, yet, despite walking along it on many occasions, I've never seen anyone on this walk. If you're at Houghton Gate and would like a nice site nearby, then you could do much worse than walking along this river. Two pubs are at either end of the river, so you're also spoilt for choice for pubs; Smiths Arms, or Floaters Mill ? I'm sure our older members could manage the steep bank to the Smiths Arms when they smell a nice meal, while the busy main road won't be an obstacle for many when they see the ale available at the Floaters Mill. B :)

Last edited:
They are quite commonly seen in the wild and are obviously escaped birds. I am sure you'll know there quite vicious birds but then again a Goshawk can pack a punch! Goshawks will kill other birds of prey to gain the birds territory. Don't be fooled by the eagle owl either, I watched a documentary once and they had found that an eagle owl had killed a buzzard. There was once a woman walking her dog somewhere in Perthshire I think it might have been the high street and an eagle owl came down and took her dog.

I am sure it was good to watch but it's a shame to hear the bird was getting a little bit distressed. The gulls where right to be wary....it's a shame there wasn't a Great-black backed Gull there.....that would be interesting! I wonder what would happen?:h?: The reason I am wondering is that Great-black backed Gulls are quite brutish and I am wondering if the Harris Hawk would get some stick of one and what would happen to the poor Harris Hawk.

It's worth pointing out that if you do see a Harris Hawk or ideed any bop with jesses on report it to IBR (independent bird register) they will try their best to reunite it with its owner.

Dormans Pool - am - along path to the hide - Whinchat x5, Stonechat x4, Reed Bunting x4, Common Whitethroat x2. The Whitethtroat must have a sweet tooth as it was tucking into bramble berries.

RSPB Saltholme - Saltholme Hide - Bar-tailed Godwit x1, Black-tailed Godwit x1, Ruff c.12, Golden Plover c.40, Little Stint x1, Curlew Sandpiper x1, Greenshank x1, Swift x3. Peregrine over putting up waders. Lots of Curlew, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Shoveler & Teal.

Greenshank on main pool plus still a few Yellow Wagtail. Sand Martin c.100 very active.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - Migrant Hawker x6, Common Hawker x5, Brown Hawker x2, Black Darter x1 plus lots of Common Darter and damselfies.

Attachments

• IMG_9094ao.jpg
    IMG_9094ao.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_9123aoo.jpg
    IMG_9123aoo.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_9255ao.jpg
    IMG_9255ao.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_9333bo.jpg
    IMG_9333bo.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9409ao.jpg
    IMG_9409ao.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 242
A very enjoyable evening last night down Teeside with the Hooded Merganser showing well and rarely out of view.

Also at Greatham Creek I was surprised to count 3 Little Stints!!

Seaton Snook - am - Curlew c.30, Knot x2, Dunlin c.150, Turnstone x2, Oystercatcher c.20, Common Tern x2, Ringed Plover c.30, Teal c.20 Brent Goose x2.

Seaton Common - Swallow c.30, Meadow Pipit c.20, Reed Bunting x8, Goldfinch c.80, Linnet c.20, Wheatear x1.

RSPB Saltholme - only Wildlife Watchpoint visited - Greenshank x1, Sedge Warbler 3-4. Kingfisher flew in front of hide circled the pond and left again heading east. One later seen on Bottom Tank from new screen. Also present there Yellow Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Dunlin x6, Little Grebe x5.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - Spotted Flycatcher x10 seen yesterday but no sign of any today or much of anything else apart from dragonflies. Several Migrant Hawker, Common Hawker and Brown Hawker on the scrapes.

I hesitate to mention a 'possible' Spotted Crake. First heard calling 'huitt' several times from the side of the grassy bank by the large reedy scrape particularly when a Magpie flew into the nearby crab apple tree. I didn't recognise the call at all, though I've never seen/heard one before. A few minutes later I walked down Cow Bridge Beck across the ridge from the scrapes when what I initially thought was a Water Rail scooted out from the long grass just in front of me taking flight for 15m before landing in the long grass again. Clearly seen in good light with the sun behind me from the back. Back and wings brown with black markings the back darker than the wings and both appeared pale fringed feathers, green dangling legs, short pale greenish tinge with reddish base to bill. Pale buffy rear with cocked tail. When I reached that point and looked in the grass it flew out again veering back over the ridge towards the scrapes. Can't say I noticed any prominent grey on side of head so maybe a young bird.

After later hearing the call online and from what I saw it's hard to imagine it being anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_9677ao.jpg
    IMG_9677ao.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9698ao.jpg
    IMG_9698ao.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9716ao.jpg
    IMG_9716ao.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_9952ao.jpg
    IMG_9952ao.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_9752ao.jpg
    IMG_9752ao.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 216
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back