• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (30 Viewers)

A drake Garganey was on the pipeline pools this afternoon between Cowpen Bewley and Haverton Hill. A female reported there as well though I only saw the male.

Also probable Yellow Wagtail from Paddy's Pool hide - view too distant and too brief to be 100% but was either that or Grey Wagtail. Two Avocets kept dropping in and out.

A weasel by the Wildlife Watchpoint.

23 Black-tailed Godwit on the Bottom Tank.

A look around Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park and RSPB Saltholme today produced the following birds.

Cowpen Bewley
The usual suspects at the feeding station included some vibrant looking Yellowhammers, large numbers of Reed Buntings with Great tits, Dunnocks, Chaffinch & Woodpigeons in support.

The lake produced a single Little Grebe, an angry Mute Swan who was chasing off a Canada Goose, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted, & Goldeneye (male & female) in way of ducks. Other birds on the lake were Coot, Black-headed Gull & 2 Lesser Black backed Gulls.

It was great to have some local birding knowledge from Don Nelson and Bob who although I have never met before was extremely friendly both to me and my fiancée. It is great when you travel away from your local patch and meet guys who are willing to pass on their sightings and info about what’s around. Both chaps are a credit to their birding clubs, and make the hobby of bird watching much more enjoyable by their willingness to share their experiences.

Walking around the lake produced a splendid singing Chiffchaff with another one heard at the bottom of the hill.

RSPB Salthome

The Bottom Tank had Common Shelduck, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and 20+ Black-tailed godwits, with one more noticeable than the others - as it was in splendid summer plumage.

I was hoping to snatch a sighting of the Hooded Merganser on Back Saltholme pool but unfortunately I could not locate it. A pair of Little Ringed Plovers were the highlight of the day which were at the waters edge of one of the small pool areas central to the hide.

Paddys Hide had a Med Gull there most of the day, although I missed it by minutes - seems to be the story of my birding life! Great Crested Grebe x2 also present with Little Egret, Grey Heron and brown hares towards the right hand side of the hide.

Plenty of Meadow Pipits seen with a few Skylarks on the walk around.

Last edited:
It's definately Spring.

Three Swallows in my back lane this morning proved spring has at last arrived.

To heck with the scarce visitors who you scarcely see.
there's nothing more enjoyable than Swallows sitting on the telephone wires and twittering away.

Despite the cold they are earlier than last year. Summer can't be that far off.

Harry

Teesside/Saltholme

Visit on 07-04-2010.

Bus Stop Hide/Saline pool.
6 avocet on and around the Island also pair LR plover, lapwing. Swallow overhead.

Saltholme hide:
single male yellow wagtail in front of the hide, which flew off to the right, also hooded merganser within distance, other distant birds included teal, curlew, little egret, gadwall, shellduck and the usual bh gulls, mallards etc.

Wildlife Watchpoint:
Pretty quiet with gadwall, teal, little egret, redshank, greylag & canada geese, little grebe, shoveler, stock dove etc, most of which were very distant.

Attachments

• _MG_4293.JPG
    _MG_4293.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 129
  • _MG_6046.JPG
    _MG_6046.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 140
  • _MG_6193.JPG
    _MG_6193.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 123
  • _MG_6224.JPG
    _MG_6224.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 130
  • _MG_6287.JPG
    _MG_6287.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 128
Few more.
TheYellow Wagtail was ringed, apparently in 2006.

Attachments

• _MG_6454.JPG
    _MG_6454.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 133
  • _MG_6501.JPG
    _MG_6501.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 151
  • _MG_6573.JPG
    _MG_6573.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 121
  • _MG_6703.JPG
    _MG_6703.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 125
  • _MG_6752.JPG
    _MG_6752.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 115
I had a ride through to Barnard Castle this morning. Not a great deal of time for birding but managed a quick look down by the river.

A Chiffchaff was calling from the trees at the end of Raby Avenue.

In the lower reaches of Percy Beck were - Nuthatch, Blackcap, Chaffinch, Robin and Wren with Grey Wagtail x2 and a Dipper in Percy Beck itself.

Heading back home I drove over to The Stang. No sign of any raptors early afternoon other than a Kestrel. Lots of Curlew in display flight. Several Wheatear, Lapwing, Red Grouse and Golden Plover were dotted about and a rather distant Black Grouse but nicely caught in the last rays of sunshine before it clouded over again. Also Fieldfare x2 and Mistle Thrush x2.

Heading back down into the top of the forest a flock of Crossbill c.20 flew over the road. About a dozen landed in a small tree by the car when I parked up and several flew onto the roadside grit piles beside the car, including a family of four - him, her and two kids!

Quite a few Siskin, Chaffinch and Pipits flitting about as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6822boo.jpg
    IMG_6822boo.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6916boo.jpg
    IMG_6916boo.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6967aoo.jpg
    IMG_6967aoo.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7075adoo.jpg
    IMG_7075adoo.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_7747ao.jpg
    IMG_7747ao.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 157
Buzzards

At least 4 Buzzards flying around near Hurworth Burn today (only managed three in shot) the most I've ever seen at once locally:t: , also a large flock of about 100 Linnets (my first Linnets of the year):t:

Attachments

• Buzzards 2.jpg
    Buzzards 2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Buzzards 1.jpg
    Buzzards 1.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Buzzard 1.jpg
    Buzzard 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 141
I am planning a walk around Hamsterly Forrest with the girlfriend tomorrow.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best birding areas? I would love to add some more birds to my list especially grouse, raptors and crossbills, any pointers?

Private message me if you prefer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

I am planning a walk around Hamsterly Forrest with the girlfriend tomorrow.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best birding areas? I would love to add some more birds to my list especially grouse, raptors and crossbills, any pointers?

Private message me if you prefer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Hamsterley is a big area and you can bump into things like Crossbills almost anywhere. A couple of good access points with parking for general walks are:
. Park at the visitors centre near Bedburn (NZ092312) - from here you can walk up the Grove.
. Blackling Hole/Lunton Hill (NZ055276) - at the opposite end of the forest. From here you can walk up through the forest twards the Grove, walk up through Pennington Plantation (good open area to look for raptors, deer etc), or walk more along the woodland edge for views over the surrounding moorland (Red and Black Grouse). An excellent all-round area.

Maybe call at the Visitors Centre and pick up a map with suggested walks and lengths as it depends how energetic you're feeling.

Raptors - Buzzards are quite common throughout. Sparrowhawks are also common and Goshawks are regularly seen. Peregrine and Merlin are also possible along the moorland edges. Just keep scanning from good vantage points.

If you're after a really long walk, aim for the Sharnberry area in the north-west of the forest. Quite unexplored; a GGShrike spent a good while here last March/April, Ring Ouzels breed, Stonechats, Whinchats later in spring, Nightjars nearby etc.

Thanks for the info on Hamsterly Mark.

I have just watched a male Blackcap feeding in the trees behind my house for about an hour! It gave great views.

This is not only a first for me but also the first time I have seen anything other than the usual starlings, blackbirds, tits etc in the area.

Shame my girlfriend spotted it first, I will never hear the end of it!!

Matt

Cetti's Warbler at Dormans Pool late morning still below top car park calling lots and several fleeting glimpses. Also Willow Warbler.

Butterflies - Comma, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.

Bolliehope Common - am - Ring Ouzel x5 all seen from the roadside, Wheatear x3, Curlew, Red Grouse, Oystercatcher and Buzzard.

Langdon Beck area - very disappointing for Black Grouse with only one seen though several Redshank, Lapwing, Curlew, Snipe, Mistle Thrush and Red Grouse.

Hamsterley Forest area - Buzzard x3.

The Stang - Goshawk x2, Sparrowhawk, Crossbill x1, Siskin c.12, Goldcrest x1, Buzzard 3+, Black Grouse x3, Lapwing, Curlew and Redshank.

Attachments

• IMG_8201bb.jpg
    IMG_8201bb.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8137aa.jpg
    IMG_8137aa.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_8226a.jpg
    IMG_8226a.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 127
Teesdale

Up early to see the Black Grouse leching - 12 male birds altgother and putting on a fine display - See Blog for video clip.
http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.com/

Also Golden Plover, loads of Snipe. Saw my first Redstart (fem) and Ring Ouzel of the year in Sharnberry Gill, also numerous Wheatear.
Also 3 Common Buzzard displaying near Eggleston.
A great day - spring has arrived!

Attachments

• Golden-Plover1.jpg
    Golden-Plover1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Redstart.jpg
    Redstart.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Up early to see the Black Grouse leching - 12 male birds altgother and putting on a fine display - See Blog for video clip.
http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.com/

Also Golden Plover, loads of Snipe. Saw my first Redstart (fem) and Ring Ouzel of the year in Sharnberry Gill, also numerous Wheatear.
Also 3 Common Buzzard displaying near Eggleston.
A great day - spring has arrived!

You did better than us for the Black Grouse - just shows the 'early bird catches the worm' ;)

I think we were just heading up there from Bolliehope when you were at Sharnberry. I thought it looked like your car.

Great video clip on your blog :t:

Saltholme Wildlife Watchpoint:
Pretty quiet yesterday with 1 little egret, 1 pair GC grebe, little grebe, canada & greylags, shoveler, teal, gadwall, redshank, mute swan, BH gulls, coots, mallard etc. also good numbers of sandmartin near the cafe area of the visitor centre.

Bottom Tank:
BT godwit on the far bank, good numbers of shoveler, 2 little egret and the usual ducks & gulls.
also Weasel near the viewing screen:t:, well done to JBee for spotting It, as it was behind me.

Called at Dormans.
No sign of the BN grebe which was reported earlier, also heard the Cetti's warbler but failed to locate it:C.

Attachments

• _MG_4402.JPG
    _MG_4402.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 145
  • _MG_6810.JPG
    _MG_6810.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 137
  • _MG_6956.JPG
    _MG_6956.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 116
  • _MG_6990.JPG
    _MG_6990.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 127
  • _MG_7245.JPG
    _MG_7245.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 125
More from yesterday.
The black headed gull seemed to struggle with the fish It caught, It seemed to swallow it then regurgetate it before swallowing it again:eat:, not a pretty sight.

Attachments

• _MG_4328.JPG
    _MG_4328.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 108
  • _MG_4421.JPG
    _MG_4421.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 128
  • _MG_6791.JPG
    _MG_6791.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 131
  • _MG_7074.JPG
    _MG_7074.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 130
  • _MG_7128.JPG
    _MG_7128.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 106
Hurworth Burn today:
Plenty to see but mostly very distant:
2 pair GC grebes, shelduck, little grebe, goldeneye, teal, wigeon, cormorant, grey heron, oyster catchers, tufties, mallards, coot, moorehen, BH and single LBB gull, greylag, pink footed and canada geese on and around the water.

Along the track towards Station Town, yelow hammer, goldfinch, chaffinch, blue, great and coal tit, chiffchaff and a few willow warbler, also a few sandmartin, a couple of swallow and 2 very distant common buzzard.

2 curlew in nearby field.

Attachments

• _MG_4454.JPG
    _MG_4454.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 130
  • _MG_4479.JPG
    _MG_4479.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 123
  • _MG_4515.JPG
    _MG_4515.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 120
  • _MG_4582.JPG
    _MG_4582.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 124
  • _MG_4604.JPG
    _MG_4604.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 113
RSPB Saltholme - Short-eared Owl 8.50am - flew from behind Fire Station and hunted around driveway before heading west over wall to left of visitor centre.

Paddy's Pool - Avocet x4, Great Crested Grebe, Shelduck x4.

Wildlife Watchpoint - Little Egret x2.

Visitor Centre - Sand Martin now 30+ plus Swallow x2. Clsoe views of weasel running from Sand Martin bank around front of visitor centre.

Greenabella Marsh bet. Tioxide & sub-station - Grey Partridge x2, Reed Bunting and at least two Water Rails calling from cover.

Dormans Pool - pm - Cetti's Warbler. Another near miss for a photo when it popped up on top of some brambles. A Whimbrel passed over calling repeatedly as it headed towards Saltholme. Also Reed Bunting, Wren, Linnet and Goldfinch.

Attachments

• IMG_8427boo.jpg
    IMG_8427boo.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8497boo.jpg
    IMG_8497boo.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8724bo.jpg
    IMG_8724bo.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8750co.jpg
    IMG_8750co.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_8873aoo.jpg
    IMG_8873aoo.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 144
A couple of hours around Croxdale today
6 Mallard, Assortment of Blue Tit Long Tailed Tit, Great Tit and Two Coal Tits, Several Blackbirds, 20 Chaffinch, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Nuthatch, 1Jay, 1 Chiffchaff, 3 Willow Warblers, 1 Robin, 12 Greylag Geese, 1 Tree creeper, 3 Swallows, 1 Pied Wagtail, 6 Goldfinch, 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Reed Bunting, 2 Dunnock and 3 Buzzard together.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back