• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (14 Viewers)

I was at Washington WWT yesterday and saw a small flock of Redpoll near "Sandpiper Pool". Most of them were fairly dark, streaked birds and a couple with a pink flush on the chest which I'm presuming are Lesser Redpoll.
But a couple were pretty light coloured with less streaking on the chest like the one photographed below.
Would I be right in thinking Mealy Redpoll??? and can you tell from the shots;)???

Attachments

• Redpoll.jpg
    Redpoll.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Redpoll 1.jpg
    Redpoll 1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 120
Washinton WWT

Water level at Wader Lake was high, only the Tern island still showing although only half its normal size.
Birds on the lake = Lapwing, Mallard, Teal, Coot, Moorhen, Shelduck, Heron, Tufted Duck, Black Headed Gulls, a Herring Gull, one Wigeon and a Jay in the trees.

Small Redpoll flock with a couple of Siskin at Sandpiper pool.

Hawthorn Wood Hide = 30+ Bullfinch, high numbers of Blue & Great Tits, a few Coal Tits, 2 GS Woodpeckers, 2 Goldfinch, 6+ Chaffinch, 2 Blackbirds, Robin, Willow Tit, Reed Bunting, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Dunnock, Pheasants, Siskin, a couple of small flocks of Long Tailed Tits in a couple of times and a Male Sparrowhawk flew in for a "Take-a-way Bullfinch";).

All in all a couple of enjoyable hours:t:.

Attachments

• Long Tailed Tit.jpg
    Long Tailed Tit.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Woodpecker Great Spotted.jpg
    Woodpecker Great Spotted.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 58
  • Treecreeper.jpg
    Treecreeper.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Finch Bullfinch.jpg
    Finch Bullfinch.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Tit Blue.jpg
    Tit Blue.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 59
As Ray would say "a Couple more";):t:.

Attachments

• Duck Mallard.jpg
    Duck Mallard.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 57
  • Teal 1.jpg
    Teal 1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Teal Flight.jpg
    Teal Flight.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Woodpecker Great Spotted 1.jpg
    Woodpecker Great Spotted 1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 61
I was at Washington WWT yesterday and saw a small flock of Redpoll near "Sandpiper Pool". Most of them were fairly dark, streaked birds and a couple with a pink flush on the chest which I'm presuming are Lesser Redpoll.
But a couple were pretty light coloured with less streaking on the chest like the one photographed below.
Would I be right in thinking Mealy Redpoll??? and can you tell from the shots;)???

Looks like a nice Mealy Redpoll to me. Ground colour looks spot on and the the bird looks quite large as well.

Very quick visit to Rainton Meadows today whilst passing through.. Not a Redpoll in sight. The Freezer was as cold as ever.

Paul

Attachments

• P1040174(3(1).jpg
    P1040174(3(1).jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 62
  • P1040180(3).jpg
    P1040180(3).jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 59
  • P1040192(1).JPG
    P1040192(1).JPG
    392 KB · Views: 58
  • P1040224(1).JPG
    P1040224(1).JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 59
  • P1040170(1).JPG
    P1040170(1).JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 56
sand martins

judging by the undisturbed sloping debris at the base, i reckon it looks like its tumbled down naturally - quite possibly if its become saturated after the snow melted - ive seen this happen at quarry & sand pit colonies, more especially after summer deluges.
Still plenty time yet to face the top few feet off with a spade ;)

--------------------------------------------------

Sad news from young Foghorns Patch - 2 dead Barn Owls found recently, victims of the snow.

Rainton Meadows today:
2 or 3 hours in the freezer produced 3 golden eye, teal, wigeon, gadwall, lapwing, single GBB gull amongst the herring and black headed gulls + the usual ducks, mute swans and a couple of cormorants also sparrow hawk paid a couple of visits to the far side of the pond.

2 Lesser redpolls up on the hill.
Not much around Joe's Pond other than the usual tits, robin, blackbirds etc.

Attachments

• _MG_2651.jpg
    _MG_2651.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_2867.jpg
    _MG_2867.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_2977.jpg
    _MG_2977.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_3008.jpg
    _MG_3008.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_3084.jpg
    _MG_3084.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 55
More from RM's.

Attachments

• _MG_2699.jpg
    _MG_2699.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_3052.jpg
    _MG_3052.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_3106.jpg
    _MG_3106.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_3181.jpg
    _MG_3181.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_3232.jpg
    _MG_3232.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 61
to anyone near DARLINGTON.... I have just been informed that there are 60+ waxwings round the back of Boyes! will be going tomorrow to see if I can see my first ever waxwing.

Good luck. You should have maybe gone down there straight way (usually impossible) I doubt there's enough berries to keep 60 going in the town centre :smoke:
I chased these little blighters around Darlo for a week over xmas without a single sighting despite them turning up less than a mile from my house :'D.
I did get a look in for my first at Saltholme though :t:.

If there's a no show then have a walk into St.Cuthberts (past sighting) then walk downriver into South Park, keeping your eye out on Victoria embankment. Impossible to tell which way they are heading though.

Thanks for the tip off, they will still be around somewhere.;)

RM's

Rainton Meadows today:
2 or 3 hours in the freezer produced 3 golden eye, teal, wigeon, gadwall, lapwing, single GBB gull amongst the herring and black headed gulls + the usual ducks, mute swans and a couple of cormorants also sparrow hawk paid a couple of visits to the far side of the pond.

2 Lesser redpolls up on the hill.
Not much around Joe's Pond other than the usual tits, robin, blackbirds etc.

Ray
Go on show up my Schoolboy Shots with your fantastic ones :clap: but more importantly how did you survive 2-3 hours in there? I couldn't move my fingers after 10 minutes.

Good luck. You should have maybe gone down there straight way (usually impossible) I doubt there's enough berries to keep 60 going in the town centre :smoke:
I chased these little blighters around Darlo for a week over xmas without a single sighting despite them turning up less than a mile from my house :'D.
I did get a look in for my first at Saltholme though :t:.

If there's a no show then have a walk into St.Cuthberts (past sighting) then walk downriver into South Park, keeping your eye out on Victoria embankment. Impossible to tell which way they are heading though.

Thanks for the tip off, they will still be around somewhere.;)

Actually they probably are still there. There were well over 70 in the tree marked X at 8:30 on Sunday morning, and still sat there late in the afternoon. They periodically drop into the courtyard (circled) for a smash and grab raid in a large whitebeam tree that is still loaded with white berries. Perhaps they do wander further afield, but all of their needs appear to be met at the moment within that square (drinking and bathing water in the guttering of the surrounding buildings!)

That's the Dolphin Centre lower right.

Attachments

• Waxwings Darlo.jpg
    Waxwings Darlo.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Ray
Go on show up my Schoolboy Shots with your fantastic ones :clap: but more importantly how did you survive 2-3 hours in there? I couldn't move my fingers after 10 minutes.

Cheers dannyboy
I carry a full survival kit and I've learnt how to control the shivvvvvveeerrring, or maybe I'm just thick skinned, and to cull any further comments, yes, to match my thick head :eek!: :-O.

RMs

.......... but more importantly how did you survive 2-3 hours in there? I couldn't move my fingers after 10 minutes.

Rainton Meadows tomorrow,

there may be some disturbance, as we have powered access platform coming to enable us to get that pole mounted Kes/Tawny box back up at Pool 1 - just in the nick of time....

Last edited:
judging by the undisturbed sloping debris at the base, i reckon it looks like its tumbled down naturally - quite possibly if its become saturated after the snow melted - ive seen this happen at quarry & sand pit colonies, more especially after summer deluges.
Still plenty time yet to face the top few feet off with a spade ;)[/FON

--------------------------------------------------

Sad news from young Foghorns Patch - 2 dead Barn Owls found recently, victims of the snow.

stevie ive got a photo in albumn which shows the j.c.b. teeth mark on the face,he was useing the aggregate to fill the pot hole in the ajacent road a couple of years back.i got in touch with rainton meadows and they said they couldnt do anything as it was out of the breeding season.

stevie ive got a photo in albumn which shows the j.c.b. teeth mark on the face,he was useing the aggregate to fill the pot hole in the ajacent road a couple of years back.i got in touch with rainton meadows and they said they couldnt do anything as it was out of the breeding season.

yes, there is no argument that its dug from time to time
( i was brought up at gilesgate , know that area well. )

sand is taken from that small pit every year & has been for decades -
the excavations dont stop the birds nesting - in fact it would probably be well overgrown if the farmer didnt dig at it every now & then.....

removing the sand / disturbing the face between March & August is another matter altogether..... this is when a phone call may be necessary. :t:

A Barn Owl at Greatham Creek opposite the car park was giving very good views this afternoon. I fell lucky when it dropped into the grass right in front of where I was stood and popped up again with a vole, taking it to a fence post to eat.

Three SEO's were in view from the road bridge. Two flew over the road to the north side to hunt and a third stayed on Greenabella Marsh.

Twite x11 were in the samphire coming onto the embankment for grit.

Attachments

• IMG_6975ao.jpg
    IMG_6975ao.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6988ao.jpg
    IMG_6988ao.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7033ao.jpg
    IMG_7033ao.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7048ao.jpg
    IMG_7048ao.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7057ao.jpg
    IMG_7057ao.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 87
Couple of handfuls from Clara Vale today:

Plenty birds present including:
Water rail, blue, great, willow, coal and LT tits, siskin, goldfinch, greenfinch, chaffinch, bullfinch, GS woodpecker, dunnock, robin, grey heron, stock dove, wood pigeon, blackbirds, magpies, moorhen, pheasant and sparrow hawk flew through empty handed.

Ended the day at Far Pastures:
Nothing to be seen from the hide, not even a mallard:
Couple of distant red kite from the car park, also blue, great, willow, coal & LT tits, chaffinch, dunnock and robin around the car park bushes.

Attachments

• _MG_1894.jpg
    _MG_1894.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_2070.jpg
    _MG_2070.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_2079.jpg
    _MG_2079.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_2239.jpg
    _MG_2239.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_2347.jpg
    _MG_2347.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back