• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (18 Viewers)

Decided to have another look in the Freezer hide this evening based on Gary's report from yesterday evening. Nice to see Gary & Dave Johnson again :t:

Was also nice to get much closer views of the Temminck Stints than my last visit, along with Little Ringed Plover and Ringed Plover...

Couple of pictures from today - PS Gary, the shots with both Temminck Stints in the frame didn't turn out too good..

Attachments

• DSC_0837-05-19-11_11765.jpg
    DSC_0837-05-19-11_11765.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_1017-05-19-11_11945.jpg
    DSC_1017-05-19-11_11945.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0853-05-19-11_11781.jpg
    DSC_0853-05-19-11_11781.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_1037-05-19-11_11965.jpg
    DSC_1037-05-19-11_11965.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Portrack Marsh - pm - Common Tern, Oystercatcher, Common Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, lotts of Sand Martin, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Long-tailed Tit x6, plus Lesser Whitethroat seen and calling regularly by pool furthest down river. Very active flying between pool trees and trees by fence line Asda side.

Rainton Meadows

Both re-appeared around 11am and still there at 4.30pm

Good to see you again today John. Super views of the stints,little ringed plover,ringed plover and great crested grebe.

Remarkably at one point when the wind dropped John exclaimed that it was like being in a fridge not a freezer ! :-O

Rainton Meadows DWT Dawn Chorus Walk 04:30-07:30
65 species noted within parts of the Joes/Rms boundary
Those proclaiming territory included 8 species of warblers, Wrens & Robins well represented, but Song Thrush & Skylark few & far between
Also 2 each of Green Sandpiper & Little ringed Plover, 1Common Sand, GCGrebe, Gadwall, etc

Sorry for taking an age to reply but thank you Steve and Colin for the walk. I've been wanting to do a dawn chorus walk for years but always had something on or they've been too far away.
Some great birds and the garden and reed warblers were firsts for me. I was the one parked next to you in the Focus, though its so long since you'll not remember but thanks again.

Rainton Meadows 6 till 8.30 this morning,no sign of the Stints. Little and Ringed Plover showing well,Great Crested Grebes attempting to build a nest to the right of the hide in the bottom corner where the Bitterns were last seen,carrying a constant flow of reeds and a little platform emerging.Brown Hare on the far side of the lake and 2 Roe Deer first thing drinking on the waters edge to the far left nearer the smaller pond.

Good to meet up with Shaggy and " Anonymous" !

Lots of Swifts, House Martin and Sand Martin around Tees Marshes last night.

Nightingale still at Cowpen Bewley though seems to have moved 50m to the east. It was in the hawthorns behind the hide yesterday morning, singing but not showing much.

Ian
First Swift shot is topdraw,well done.

Bob

Great Crested Grebes attempting to build a nest to the right of the hide in the bottom corner where the Bitterns were last seen,carrying a constant flow of reeds and a little platform emerging.

Good to meet up with Shaggy and " Anonymous" !

Nice to put a face to Name Andy:t:.
Not long after you left the Grebes swam away form the platform they were making and a Coot turned up and started dismantling it again.

Also no sign of the Stints when I left to get warmed up at 10:15am:-C.

Not long after you left the Grebes swam away form the platform they were making and a Coot turned up and started dismantling it again.

Those grebes really are useless - they've been displaying, building and mating (had a laugh every time he finished and stomped her head into the water!) for a couple of weeks now, but then abandon each nest that they build. Must be 6 or 7 different nest attempts now... Inexperienced youngsters, or jealous coots?

Those grebes really are useless - they've been displaying, building and mating (had a laugh every time he finished and stomped her head into the water!) for a couple of weeks now, but then abandon each nest that they build. Must be 6 or 7 different nest attempts now... Inexperienced youngsters, or jealous coots?

Stints reported on Bird Guides as being back? Anyone seen them today.remarkable if they have stayed for I think the 6th day.

Stints reported on Bird Guides as being back? Anyone seen them today.remarkable if they have stayed for I think the 6th day.

Yes - 2 stints at RM from around 11.30am.
One frequently straight in front of the hide giving people good opportunities for views and photos.
Both still present at 4pm when I left.

Attachments

• temmincks_stint-00088.jpg
    temmincks_stint-00088.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 113
  • temmincks_stint-00099.jpg
    temmincks_stint-00099.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 157
  • temmincks_stint-00095.jpg
    temmincks_stint-00095.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 91
I haven't been down today - I normally pop in on my way to and from work, so weekends aren't great for me, and I'm too busy brewing today.

After reading about the Stints (they were pretty much an unknown to me), I was surprised they were still there after 3 days! They must be waiting for favourable winds...

Hi
Truly cosmic pictures John, i mean realy out of this world ! o:D what kind of gear do you use ? I espesially like the one with Goosezilla !, thats real funny :-O I do hope some of those visiting consider becoming DWT members :t: Nice to meet AndyK & Stevie Evans at the gate at Houghton Gate, lots of colours there with Greenfinch, Redshank, Goldfinch and Yellow Wagtail.
Great day out :hippy:

Dormans Pool - am - beside level crossing - Cetti's Warbler, Stonechat, Grasshopper Warbler, Whitethroat, Sparrowhawk. Water Vole in beck north west side of level crossing by rusty pipe over beck.

RSPB Saltholme - Saltholme Hide - Ruff, Garganey, Wood Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit x5, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover. Avocet x4 two of which were colour ringed, both previously seen locally.

Attachments

• IMG_4188a.jpg
    IMG_4188a.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4069a.jpg
    IMG_4069a.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3773a.jpg
    IMG_3773a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3805a.jpg
    IMG_3805a.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4359a.jpg
    IMG_4359a.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back