• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (28 Viewers)

The Stang - am - lots of Crossbills flitting about today. 60+ seen in the tree tops along the road through the forest when I arrived - almost like an honour guard 8-P

Sent a carrier pigeon to inform the population Ian, ;) :smoke:

RSPB Saltholme - Saltholme Hide - Jack Snipe, Ruff x5, Pintail, Goldeneye, Dunlin c.12.

Viewing screen - Brent Geese x2 giving close views.

Greenabella Marsh - pm - Avocet x32 flew onto Seal Sands - one colour ringed -details noted - ringed 31st May 2010 on Greenabella Marsh.

Also present SEO x2, Bar-tailed Godwit x6, Knot c.100, Grey Plover.

Attachments

• IMG_2507a.jpg
    IMG_2507a.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2661a.jpg
    IMG_2661a.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2696a.jpg
    IMG_2696a.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2776a.jpg
    IMG_2776a.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2846a.jpg
    IMG_2846a.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 80
Derwent Reservoir 2 Common Buzzard displaying South side.
On way up through Shotley Field Two Hares boxing stopped car and observed one hare sitting while other was lying down. On entering field the sitting hare moved away as i approached, the one lying down tried to move but as i got up to it i found that in 'boxing' it had suffered two broken hind legs. Never seen one as badly hurt before during this type of engagement. Couldn't bring myself to put it down so just left it for nature to take its course.

Attachments

• Hare_9306.jpg
    Hare_9306.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 74
  • Hare_9312.jpg
    Hare_9312.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 96
Started at the Stang today, weather was unfortunately not asforcasted.
Still a dozen or so crossbills about, but not as regular as my last visit, also flock of fieldfare and thrushes, couple of siskin, robin, blue & great tits, red grouse and plenty pheasants.
Also goshawk and rough legged buzzard viewed by others.

Called back to Saltholme where i spent a couple of hours waiting for the jack snipe to show, well, It did, but was well dug in. Other birds included dunlin, goldeneye, pintail, pochard, redshank, curlew, teal etc.

Very short video of the snipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2HNInumvu0&feature=youtu.be

######

Hi, could anyone suggest a reasonable place from which to view the crossbills, or is it more a case of turning up and taking your chance?

Thank-you as always

Andy

######

Hi, could anyone suggest a reasonable place from which to view the crossbills, or is it more a case of turning up and taking your chance?

Thank-you as always

Andy

The Crossbills at the Stang are easy to see/view. Just follow the road through the forest. Just above the tight double bend near the top of the hill after the chevron boards there's a car park on the right hand side. Just turn around in there and park immediately on the left side of the road. You shouldn't have to wait more than 20-30 minutes at most.

Crossbills are on either side of the road and occasionally drop down onto the grit heaps on the right side of the road. You can't miss them.

My last visit even driving along the road through the forest they were lining the tree tops either side of the road. You get better/closer views from the top of the hill though.

Managed after a lot of looking to find the Kumlien's Gull today
Please see blog for the write up http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/myoudale/

Mike

Glad to hear you got it okay :t:

Most local birders have already seen it several times so it doesn't now get reported so much. You fell lucky with the Iceland Gull. The Kumlien's seems to stay in the fish quay all day whereas the Iceland and Glaucous Gulls seem to go out to sea during the day and return when the fishing fleet comes in on an afternoon. The guy you spoke to sounds like the site manager. He's been very obliging for visiting birders allowing access.

Today 6 Lesser Redpolls among a few Siskins on home feeders, first Redpolls since last Winter. Wonder if it means we're in for a spell of winter weather we have not had so far this year?

Very good days birding around the county today.
Started early at RSPB Saltholme and soon heard about the Green Winged Teal at Saltholme pools hide. Had decent views of the bird from a very busy hide. Jack snipe was very very difficult to see. Luckily I saw it as it move it's head, but otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. A few people didnt see it, even through a scope set up on the bird, but I can see why. It was very, very well hidden. A pair of avocets had flown through earlier and the usual ducks etc were about. Bittern was nice on site also.
We then headed to greatham creek where a little egret showed from the bus stop type hide. A common seal (I think) was in the creek, two grey plovers were with mixed gulls, redshank and shelduck on the south side. On greenabella marsh there was 23 avocets in a group together with a few BHGs nearby. Some mergansers were closer to the sea.
Afterwards we went for a look at season common. Large
Numbers of gull were flyin about but not many were on the ground. We stopped to have a look. A quick scan arous before focusing on the gulls produced large numbers of lapwings, redshanks and wigeon. There were even more starlings With a few meadow pipits and a pair of skylarks. When we scanne through the gulls we found a first winter CASPIAN GULL with some herring gulls. Stunning bird!
Finally we went to the fish quay in Hartlepool. We soon found the 1st winter Kumliens gull and a touch more scanning produced an adult Iceland gull.we walked up towered the battery. En route we saw Red Throated Diver, Bar Tailed Godwit, knot, purple sandpipers and turnstones. Some eiders were of the battery, as were a few common scoter.

RSPB Saltholme - Phil Stead Hide - 9.30am - Bittern, drake Pintail, Little Egret, Black-tailed Godwit x1.

Satltholme Hide - Jack Snipe, Green-winged Teal, Avocet x2, Black-tailed Godwit x4, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Pintail, Goldeneye x7, Cormorant.

Brent Geese x2 on grassland between hide and car park.

Great Crested Grebe x9 on the east pond.

Attachments

• IMG_3088a.jpg
    IMG_3088a.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3157a.jpg
    IMG_3157a.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3048a.jpg
    IMG_3048a.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2972a.jpg
    IMG_2972a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3114a.jpg
    IMG_3114a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 80
Weather was a bit bleak on the moors today, but i did see a lot of Black & Red Grouse about - shame that the blizzard conditions put paid to any decent photo's, the weather eased a bit to allow this shot :-O :-O :-O

Attachments

• 03-04-12-7965-DSC_2700.jpg
    03-04-12-7965-DSC_2700.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 115
Durham area.

Durham area.

Attachments

• DCJ-Nuthatch-737.jpg
    DCJ-Nuthatch-737.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DCJ-Nuthatch-740.jpg
    DCJ-Nuthatch-740.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DCJ-Nuthatch-742.jpg
    DCJ-Nuthatch-742.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 57
  • DCJ-Nuthatch-743.jpg
    DCJ-Nuthatch-743.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DCJ-Nuthatch-747.jpg
    DCJ-Nuthatch-747.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 95
Chester Riverside.

Attachments

• DCJ-Dipper-709.jpg
    DCJ-Dipper-709.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 79
  • DCJ-Dipper-710.jpg
    DCJ-Dipper-710.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DCJ-Dipper-711.jpg
    DCJ-Dipper-711.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DCJ-Dipper-712.jpg
    DCJ-Dipper-712.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DCJ-Dipper-714.jpg
    DCJ-Dipper-714.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 70
Weardale. (Seven Minutes of sunshine all day!)

Attachments

• DCJ-Black-Grouse-134.jpg.jpg
    DCJ-Black-Grouse-134.jpg.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DCJ-Black-Grouse-163.jpg
    DCJ-Black-Grouse-163.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DCJ-Black-Grouse-167.jpg
    DCJ-Black-Grouse-167.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DCJ-Black-Grouse-169.jpg
    DCJ-Black-Grouse-169.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DCJ-Black-Grouse-170.jpg
    DCJ-Black-Grouse-170.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 86
Weardale.
--------------------------------------

((Seven Minutes of sunshine all day!))

Last Wednesday.:smoke:

(I saw the first snowflake and was back at RMs before it hit the ground Derek) ;-)

Attachments

• DCJ-Great-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    DCJ-Great-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 87
Weardale.
--------------------------------------

((Seven Minutes of sunshine all day!))

Last Wednesday.:smoke:

(I saw the first snowflake and was back at RMs before it hit the ground Derek) ;-)

:-O:-O:-O Probably what i should have done also - that said i did find a couple of new sites which i'll try when the weather is better...

Greenabella Marsh - am - Sparrowhawk, Black-tailed Godwit x4, Bar-tailed Godwit x2, Avocet c.20, Little Egret x3.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - pm - Smew, Treecreeper x2, Little Grebe x4, Shoveler x2, Gadwall x12, Cormorant.

RSPB Saltholme - Saltholme Hide - Jack Snipe, Green-winged Teal, Black-tailed Godwit x3, Brent Goose x2.

Attachments

• IMG_3679a.jpg
    IMG_3679a.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3641a.jpg
    IMG_3641a.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3515a.jpg
    IMG_3515a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3556a.jpg
    IMG_3556a.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3617a.jpg
    IMG_3617a.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back