• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

Hi Malcolm
All ive heard of since beginning of November are of 2 separate sightings of a pair.
Although this probably tells us more about the habits of the birders rather than the birds.

Good on yer for giving it a go & trying to find em ! :t: - pretty sure there'll be a few more folks down there over the hols, but especially in the new year period.

watched a pr L.owls in & out of box on edge of Ho'ton patch this afternoon.

Cheers, Steve.

They're certainly tricky birds to catch up with. I must have been about five or six times now with no luck. I've got a week's holiday between Christmas and New Year, so I'll have another try then - weather and domestic duties permitting!!

Malcolm

Houghton Local Patch 09

Cheers, Steve.

They're certainly tricky birds to catch up with. I must have been about five or six times now with no luck. I've got a week's holiday between Christmas and New Year, so I'll have another try then - weather and domestic duties permitting!!

Malcolm

A few of us hoping for a couple of get togethers over the Xmas holidays & the estate got a mention as a likely venue - many eyes may make lighter work !

-----------------------------------

Popped into Lambton Bridge for 5 mins on way back home this morning, despite the damp & cold several species singing, including Song & Mistle Thrush, Great Tit & Dipper all in good voice.
On the river pairs of Goosander, Grey Wag & of course Dipper.
Excellent feeding flock of Curlew with @ 218 on flat field between bridge & M-Way.

Another 5 mins at Houghton Gate, holding Little Owl, 2pr Shelduck, 4 Wigeon, a Heron & a Pink foot amongst the 250+ Greylags. A Starling was singing from the wires here, giving a good rendition of Song Thrush at one point.

Steve

Seaton Turbines

Turbines have got go-ahead, start work on the 22nd, Cornwall based power company.

There is more wind in bleedin Cornwall!!!!! Famous for it!!

Get them put out at sea.

Hi
With Regards to the chinese whispers re "DRAINAGE " of Seaton Pond, I have once again spoken to Martin Bulmer one of the main opposing residents, who has informed me that this will not happen as it was suggested around eight years ago and a survey was carried out which highlighted that it would prove an impossible task, owing to depth and surrounding enviroment. The pond has since become larger and is now apparently some sort of Special Scientific Interest , and that the local council and other organisations would object to this happening.
With regards to the Wind Turbines, Easington Council has now opposed this project, and that there is to be a meeting at Durham County Hall on the 22nd December at 2pm, where any interested party can attend to hear the mitigations imposed by all parties concerned.
Martin has asked if any Commitee Member or member of DBC could attend this meeting to state the importance of this site to birds and nature in general, especially Regular, Schedule 1 and Autumn migrants.
I would attend this meeting myself, but owing to increasing family problems I will not be available

Last edited:
Cheers, Steve.

Malcolm

Tried this afternoon in poor weather with no luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next batch of tree mounted Barn Owl boxes for the Western side of the County are due for collection.

If anyone is in any parts of Weardale / Hamsterley perhaps over the holiday period, then it would be of great assistance if you could please keep a look out for any likely quiet locations for tree mounted boxes.

We are also keen to hear any second hand / anecdotal evidence about birds / sightings from locals / farmers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the SP update Den :t:

Hi
With Regards to the chinese whispers re "DRAINAGE " of Seaton Pond, I have once again spoken to Martin Bulmer one of the main opposing residents, who has informed me that this will not happen as it was suggested around eight years ago and a survey was carried out which highlighted that it would prove an impossible task, owing to depth and surrounding enviroment. The pond has since become larger and is now apparently some sort of Special Scientific Interest , and that the local council and other organisations would object to this happening.
With regards to the Wind Turbines, Easington Council has now opposed this project, and that there is to be a meeting at Durham County Hall on the 22nd December at 2pm, where any interested party can attend to hear the mitigations imposed by all parties concerned.
Martin has asked if any Commitee Member or member of DBC could attend this meeting to state the importance of this site to birds and nature in general, especially Regular, Schedule 1 and Autumn migrants.
I would attend this meeting myself, but owing to increasing family problems I will not be available

The guy that broke his neck to give me this information thinking that I was a member of DBC, informed me that he was from Hawthorn Farm.

Long story short,,, I went and asked a resident, he screwed his face up in disbelief and let me know the true "jist". (I did pass this information on DenBee, to the chairman and secretary of DBC on Sunday night, I think,) (memory has totally gone)

After I informed said resident who the guy was, the guy visited him two or three times a day for a few days.

Absolutely no Chinese whispering on my part, just lack of communication between the DBC members. I will be going to the meeting myself, so if anyone in the houghton area needs a ride let me know.
(Steve and Derek put yer knitting down, and speak to each other.)

The guy that broke his neck to give me this information thinking that I was a member of DBC, informed me that he was from Hawthorn Farm.

Long story short,,, I went and asked a resident, he screwed his face up in disbelief and let me know the true "jist". (I did pass this information on DenBee, to the chairman and secretary of DBC on Sunday night, I think,) (memory has totally gone)

After I informed said resident who the guy was, the guy visited him two or three times a day for a few days.

Absolutely no Chinese whispering on my part, just lack of communication between the DBC members. I will be going to the meeting myself, so if anyone in the houghton area needs a ride let me know.
(Steve and Derek put yer knitting down, and speak to each other.)

Dont you think one of the main problems with the turbines is the glare coming off when the sunlight strikes them - this effect can severely reduce the quality of photographic images. o:D

Howa lads, catch yersells on.
All the different parties (& individuals) have different agendas here, its an emotive topic & theres bound to be a certain degree of mystification ! ;)

Our charity, with its huge database, has decades of expert knowledge on local birdlife.
We are not experts on turbines & have no specific policy nor agenda on the matter, regardless of any personal comments written on this forum by its members.
Through the efforts of our membership & volunteers, DBC does its utmost to help inform, protect, study & conserve wild birds in the Vice County at every opportunity that presents itself - we cant do very much more than that.

I'll have a lift through on 22nd - probs see you aforehand.
Steve

Dont you think one of the main problems with the turbines is the glare coming off when the sunlight strikes them - this effect can severely reduce the quality of photographic images. o:D
Steve
Might give us a little bit more light than we are used to working with ;)

S.Pond

sadly one of the Whooper Swans is lying dead
presumed to have been shot ? ( blood on its back, but nothing has been at it, no feathers out of place )

Dont you think one of the main problems with the turbines is the glare coming off when the sunlight strikes them - this effect can severely reduce the quality of photographic images.

Certainly can't make them any worse that's for sure!

If this company gets the go-ahead to plant massive turbines so close to houses, (in this case approximately 500mtrs from a house) what chance do the rest of us have that live next to open land, cliff tops etc.
It's basically the green light to do as they please, that's the most important thing, wildlife isn't the problem here, wildlife can move away/adapt no problem.

There is a long winded tale to the swan, way to long for me to sit typing... Some lurcher young'uns and some lampers have read this info on an open forum!!!!!

You have to be careful about the location and the species your posting, PM each other instead if you think it's a dodgy area.
Unless your prepared to deal with the fallout on other peoples patches!!
Work has already started today, after a fashion... the company are erecting testing equipment (wind speed, force and all that gubbins), for twelve months.

Fact, because they were asked..
(I hope things get better DenBee, all the best M8)

Attachments

• Working-2.jpg
    Working-2.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Working.jpg
    Working.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 113
  • Working-.jpg
    Working-.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 116
. . <snip> . . If this company gets the go-ahead to plant massive turbines so close to houses, (in this case approximately 500mtrs from a house) what chance do the rest of us have that live next to open land . . <snip>. .
Im pretty sure that precedent has already been set, 1,000 metres to the West within the same council area. One of the turbines there at South Sharpley is within 250- 300 metres of a house.

There is a long winded tale to the swan, way to long for me to sit typing... Some lurcher young'uns and some lampers have read this info on an open forum!!!!!
That sounds sinister - we'll get the full SP off you in the field no doubt.

You have to be careful about the location and the species your posting, PM each other instead if you think it's a dodgy area.
Unless your prepared to deal with the fallout on other peoples patches!!
You try telling that to some of those who moderate this forum Davey.
Very difficult for forum members to be discreet, for example by not naming locations, only to then have other people join in & name them
This forum is supposedly here to allow us to share our Local Patch reports

PS Isnt the whole North East renowned as being "dodgy" as far as wildlife crime goes . . .

Last edited:
Im pretty sure that precedent has already been set, 1,000 metres to the West within the same council area. One of the turbines there at South Sharpley is within 250- 300 metres of a house.

That sounds sinister - we'll get the full SP off you in the field no doubt.

You try telling that to some of those who moderate this forum Davey.
Very difficult for forum members to be discreet, for example by not naming locations, only to then have other people join in & name them
This forum is supposedly here to allow us to share our Local Patch reports

PS Isnt the whole North East renowned as being "dodgy" as far as wildlife crime goes . . .

thats why i keep the nesting site to myself,their there if you look on the ground:t:

StevieEvans; PS Isnt the whole North East renowned as being "dodgy" as far as wildlife crime goes . . .[/QUOTE said:
Unfortunately your right.

Five slugs I took out of this poor cygnet this morning, other wounds plus a completely shattered wing bone (the wing came off when I went to dispose of it) meant the slugs went straight through parts of both wings, this birds injuries, as you can see, suggest that it was a sitting target for one, possibly two cowardly low life scumbags. (Not killed with a shotgun and no dogs teeth marks) There was some strange behaviour from the mute cobs, they seemed to be trying to protect the carcass, (similar to when they are breeding) also the pens were surrounding the survivor.

This is basically the result of publicizing locations, unfortunately.

Hopefully we should all be able to come up with something so that the threads don't' die off completely.

It's an excellent informative forum, just the thread that's the problem.
Here's a before and after, mindless toe-rags!!

Attachments

• DCJ-Whooper-Cygnet-2.jpg
    DCJ-Whooper-Cygnet-2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DCJ-Whooper-Cygnet.jpg
    DCJ-Whooper-Cygnet.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 131
I just can't find the words to describe how I feel about this & the scum that carried out this atrocity. Well I can, but they fall well out of the Oxford Dictionary. Sadly, not the first time this has happened & will not be the last.

In this particular case, I cannot see how any blame can be put onto this thread.
I maybe being a bit nieve, but I can't see any scumbag having the brains to research the whereabouts of any particular species, with a view to using it as mere target practice or sick kicks as the corpse was left where it fell. Unlike removing it for trophy or alike.
As I see it, they were out & about, armed & scumming about, in an area they generally frequent.
I do hope that these sickos don't also keep tick lists, in which case I'd be very wrong.

:C:C:C:C:C:C:C:C:C:C

Has this been reported to the authorities & is there any use in providing them with the slugs in order to build up evidence for fiture crimes?

Last edited:
In this particular case, I cannot see how any blame can be put onto this thread.
I maybe being a bit nieve, but I can't see any scumbag having the brains to research the whereabouts of any particular species,

Agree cant see that being the case.

I just can't find the words to describe how I feel about this & the scum that carried out this atrocity. Well I can, but they fall well out of the Oxford Dictionary. Sadly, not the first time this has happened & will not be the last.

I maybe being a bit nieve, but I can't see any scumbag having the brains to research the whereabouts of any particular species, with a view to using it as mere target practice or sick kicks as the corpse was left where it fell. Unlike removing it for trophy or alike.
As I see it, they were out & about, armed & scumming about, in an area they generally frequent.
I do hope that these sickos don't also keep tick lists, in which case I'd be very wrong.

:C:C:C:C:C:C:C:C:C:C

Has this been reported to the authorities & is there any use in providing them with the slugs in order to build up evidence for fiture crimes?

In this particular incident it was down to info/sightings on here, lug to the ground and all that.

The point is still worth discussing though!

Not the first swans to die in this fashion in this area.
Unfortunately swans on Hetton Lyons lake have met similar fates at the hands of scum in past years.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back