• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

I think you've actually got a reed warbler there, Mark. Nice pic.:t:

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. I find it hard to tell the two apart, I put this down as a Sedge Warbler as it had a very varied song whereas I thought the Reed Warbler was more of a regular tune?

That's a pretty good rule of thumb regarding the species' song, but they can still be tricky. But if you get a reasonable view of the bird, one stand-out feature on a sedge warbler is the creamy stripe over the eye. You can see it in the attached photo which I took.

I think that generally reed warblers are more skulking and difficult to see than sedge. That was one reason why I congratulated you on your pic. They're not easy to get.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Sedge-Warbler2.jpg
    Sedge-Warbler2.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 90
Butterflies at risk

Butterfly site vandalised! Thieves have caused substantial damage to the Burnhill private nature reserve in County Durham by removing large quanities of sphagnum moss. This has caused damage to marsh violets growing amongst the moss and may as a result have caused serious damage to the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary population on the site. It's thought that the theft took place Wednesday 14th May in the morning between 9am and 11am. The police are investigating. If you saw anything suspicious in the area of Saltersgate Lane or Waskerley Way, please inform the police on 101.

Attachments

• Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary18062013Burnhill N.jpg
    Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary18062013Burnhill N.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
That's a pretty good rule of thumb regarding the species' song, but they can still be tricky. But if you get a reasonable view of the bird, one stand-out feature on a sedge warbler is the creamy stripe over the eye. You can see it in the attached photo which I took.

I think that generally reed warblers are more skulking and difficult to see than sedge. That was one reason why I congratulated you on your pic. They're not easy to get.

Malcolm

Thanks. It was hard to get the shot. I waited about an hour for the bird I eventually saw to put in an appearance. Easy to hear but difficult to see as it stayed low on the dense reeds most of the time. You managed a nice clear shot with your bird.

^ Very nice shots.

I had a walk over Hedleyhope Fell today. There was a Cuckoo calling from the trees half way up the hill but I couldn't see it. Managed a shot of this Mistle Thrush though:

14263332962_d4d1f06853_b.jpg

Don't want to p*$$ on your chips, Mr 2slo but your excellent photo (and it is a belter) is not a Mistle Thrush but is a Meadow Pipit.

Lol! No worries, I should just stick to taking pictures and stop trying to identify birds, I'm hopeless at it |=)|
Thanks for the I.D. and the comment, I'll change the title on my Flickr page too.

Tree Pipit

A couple of Tree Pipit Shots from Hamsterley area

Attachments

• AWG Tree Pipit.jpg
    AWG Tree Pipit.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 88
  • AWG  Tree Pipit..jpg
    AWG Tree Pipit..jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 70
Garden Warbler

Spotted a bird I couldn't I.D. in my garden today (no surprises there |=)|) and I managed one shot of it (700mm 100% crop) before it flew off. Two confirmations from the I.D. section tell me it's a Garden Warbler. Delighted to see and hear it, first one I've seen and in my garden too:

14126871280_99eed44aa9_b.jpg

Red Kite in flight

Beautiful shot, Mick. Added to your folder for either Summer Newsletter or Celebration Brochure. Have you any ID for it?

Up at Muggleswick this afternoon. Beautiful sunny day - oystercatchers, lapwings, red grouse and a huge curlew on the fence as I came away. I was coming down the hill so couldn't easily stop.
There was also a lovely young deer on the slope below the Muggleswick moorland road.

In the White Monk Tea Room, I was told there are kites about, but I didn't see any.

A Red Kite.

Up at Muggleswick this afternoon. Beautiful sunny day - oystercatchers, lapwings, red grouse and a huge curlew on the fence as I came away. I was told there are kites about, but I didn't see any.

I had 2 separate Red Kites there this afternoon June, one very low over the moor opposite the road that leads from Muggleswick to the Stanhope road, the other was circling the field directly in front of the Village Hall - I didn't bother photographing either of them though - as i was too interested in these guys:

Attachments

• 2014-05-31-117622-DSC_1599-1.jpg
    2014-05-31-117622-DSC_1599-1.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 124
Kite Watch Sunday 8 June 2014

It's Kite Watch time again - and you are all invited!

Bring the whole family and a picnic; we are celebrating our double Anniversary!

Here are the details and the map shows how to get to Kite Hill.

Attachments

• Anniversary Kite Watch 2014.JPG
    Anniversary Kite Watch 2014.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 55
  • Anniversary Kite Watch_ map 2014.jpg
    Anniversary Kite Watch_ map 2014.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 58
Ring Ouzel & Slow Worm - Golden Plover

This Male Ring Ouzel wasn't happy with the Slow Worm close to its nest site !

Attachments

• AWG Ring Ouzel-Slow Worm.jpg
    AWG Ring Ouzel-Slow Worm.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 138
  • AWG Golden Plover.jpg
    AWG Golden Plover.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back